Grilled Salmon & Vegetable Quinoa

Grilled Salmon & Vegetable Quinoa is a quick (5 mins prep, 20 mins cooking) and healthy meal.  It’s low in fat, high in lean protein. This recipe is for 4 people (my girls usually have 1/2 a salmon fillet each). If there are any left overs combine everything together in a food processor with an egg, pulsed until it looks like large breadcrumbs and then make into patties, bake in the oven at 180 degrees with a little bit of olive oil drizzled on them for  15 minutes. They are great for lunches the next day or put in the freezer for later on.

Salmon-and-Vegetable-Quinoa

Grilled Salmon & Vegetable Quinoa

Ingredients

• 1 C quinoa
  • 2 C water
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1/2 red capsicum, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 2 tsp Moroccan spice seasoning (can be found in the spice ailise of the supermarket, nice sprinkled on roast potatoes!)
  • Handful of baby spinach
  • 2 Tbs lemon juice
  • 4 salmon fillets

Instructions

1. Place quinoa & water in saucepan and bring to boil. Once boiling reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins stirring occassionally. Remove from heat and sit covered for 10 mins.
  2. While quinoa is cooking heat oil in saucepan add vegetables, garlic and Moroccan spice and cook, stirring until carrot is soft, (about 5 mins). Turn off heat.
  3. Add quinoa, baby spinach and lemon juice to the vegetables and toss to combine.
  4. Heat another pan (preferably a char grill pan), drizzle salmon with a little bit of oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 - 4 mins on each side or until cooked through. Alternatively place salmon on a lined baking tray under grill in oven for the same cooking time or until cooked through.
  5. Serve with quinoa mix and enjoy!

9 comments on “Grilled Salmon & Vegetable Quinoa

1. Kate@Kate's Weekend Kitchen
    May 1, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Oh Vicki this looks divine! I am all about the salmon at the moment as the other half has to have a high protein high carb diet 🙁 I need something different sometimes.

May 2, 2016 at 8:47 pm

This is a favourite in our house and it’s easy too. It’s hard when you are on different eating agendas isn’t it?

2. Lisa @ Chocolate Meets Strawberry
    May 3, 2016 at 6:22 am

Salmon is most definitely my favourite fish, so this dish looks fantastic Vicki! I love your idea of turning the leftovers into patties. Such a great trick and something I have been meaning to do for a while. I keep thinking I should make some extra fish and then play around with making some patties for lunches. Now I really must turn that thought into action! I hope you have a great week ahead!! 🙂

May 3, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I do it straight after dinner while cleaning up so that it’s done and I don’t have to think about it again. have a great week to. x

3. Shari from GoodFoodWeek
    May 3, 2016 at 3:19 pm

YUM – we probably eat salmon at least once a week, so I am always interested in seeing how other people whip theirs up. Unfortunately, we never have leftovers and I make my fish patties from tinned red salmon or the fish pieces from the farmer’s market.

May 3, 2016 at 10:57 pm

My girls don’t have very big appetites so there’s always leftovers!

4. jayne
    May 4, 2016 at 11:08 am

This is my kind of dish Vicki – love the colours and so healthy too.

May 4, 2016 at 7:20 pm

It’s on high rotation at our house.