Chai Tea Biscuits

chai-tea-biscuits-web-1

Morning Tea time?  Do you ever actually get to sit down and have morning tea?  Most days I grab something on the run but today I’m at home with a sick child so all plans cancelled…..I’ve been occupying myself in the kitchen, she’s been sleeping in front of the TV.

I’ve been playing around trying to get the recipe right for these Chai Tea Biscuits for a while.  I was originally inspired after trying out these delicious Earl Grey Tea Cookies from Sweet Talk blog (all her amazing  & beautifully photographed recipes are vegan, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free).  I think I’m getting close with this one and now have a kitchen full of food.  These have quite a “grown up” taste so I’m taking the excess to “Book Club” tonight, if they last that long….For being “free” they are pretty delicious!

More “how to” photo’s under the recipe.  I’ve put the Thermomix method in but can also be done in a bowl. I got 16 fairly big bikkies out of this recipe.  I may add a pinch of ground ginger in next time too.  Let me know if you try them.

chai-tea-biscuits-on-table-web

• 1/4 C (80g) Rice Malt Syrup
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1/3 C (50g) coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 160 C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper
  2. Lightly toast the tea in a small saucepan over a low heat until they become fragrant. About 1 - 2 minutes.
  3. If making your own almond meal mill the almonds now speed 9 / 9 seconds, set aside
  4. Put the tea leaves in the TM or blender and mill until they are very fine speed 9 / 10 seconds (depending on how many bigger bits your tea has, mine had quite a few cloves, cardamon pods etc)
  5. Add all the dry ingredients in, including the almond meal and combine, speed 5 /4 seconds
  6. Add in the rice malt syrup, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix well speed 5 / reverse / 7 seconds
  7. Form small balls of dough with your hands and press lightly onto the prepared baking trays. They will spread so leave room between them
  8. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes - they will appear undercooked and soft don't worry!
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes on the trays as they will be too soft to move yet then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely

Toasting tea

toasting-tea-web

Dry ingredients all combined

dry-ingredients-web

Everything combined and the dough formed

biscuit-dough-web

Roll up, flattened out ready for baking, make sure you leave a fairly decent gap between the biscuits as they will spread a bit

raw-chai-biscuits-web

12 minutes later, baked!

baked-chai-biscuits-web

Do you ever get to have morning tea? Are you a chai fan?

You May Also Like

14 comments on “Chai Tea Biscuits

1. Louise Zaverdinos
    August 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I’m going to give these a whirl, they are perfect for a little something in the morning with a cuppa.

August 8, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Great – let me know what you think

2. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    March 27, 2015 at 7:46 am

I am so 100% making these! I am a chai tea addict! In fact I’ve got a hot cup with me right now. What a fantastic idea 🙂

March 27, 2015 at 8:19 am

They are a bit different but I love them. Hope you do too. x

3. Maxabella
    March 27, 2015 at 9:25 am

Bellisimo! I love chai tea! I am very curious about the random disco ball though… x

March 27, 2015 at 10:05 am

Ha ha! There are very random finds all over our house and especially in the school skorts pockets too but the disco ball was left over from the school disco months before – the girls liked the way it caught the sun in the morning and turned the kitchen into a morning dance party each day. Sadly it’s gone now but there is a weird figurine whose head comes off that I have no idea where it came from that has replace it! x

4. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    March 28, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I love Chai so these look totally delectable! #FFF

March 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Malinda – they are a little bit different but I love them, would love to know if you try them.

5. Kim @Landofzonkt
    April 2, 2015 at 7:40 pm

I have a massive container of chia seeds I got from Costco so I’ll have to try these, although I’m wishing I grabed the huge jar of coconutoil too… Was huge and only $9! I know crazy.
    I love chia, so reminds me of when I was pregnant & couldn’t stomach coffee. x

April 2, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I have yet to make it to Costco but keep meaning to. I had chai tea all during my pregnancies too, I stayed off coffee for 5 years but am well and truly back on it now. These biscuits are a little bit different but I love them.

6. Jaclyn
    January 13, 2016 at 10:09 am

Made these this morning. Delicious! Bit worried I might eat the whole batch before everyone comes home this afternoon….

January 14, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Oh that has made my day I’m so glad you like them, I won’t tell if you did eat the whole batch!

7. Emily
    August 12, 2016 at 2:09 pm

My only mistake, I used rock salt instead of granular…there were chunks of salt through my biscuits!! My bad!!!
    Even with the “unusual” savoury-salty taste, they were a hit at my morning tea at work. Will save this recipe and make again, next time with granular salt!!!