In My Kitchen – September 2014

egg-cosy-and-soldiers-web

There were so many wonderful posts and link love in Fig Jam & Lime Cordials “In My Kitchen” series last month that I wanted to do it again.  Iniatives like Celia’s are one of the reasons why I’m getting to love blogging.  I had fun taking photo’s of these little guys this month and my girls just love their egg cosies, we have quite a collection going now.

The girls had “Multicultural Day” at school so we tapped into my English roots and made Jammy Dodgers as a sweet treat and Pies & “Mushy Peas” as a savoury.

jammy-dodgers-overhead-web

Mulitcultural Day also got me looking through the school’s cook book that they made a few years ago as a fund raiser.  We have such a wonderfully diverse school there are so many recipes to try out.  I made this Mediterranean inspired One Tray Baked Fish and Vegetables meal for dinner one night, so simple and so tasty, any white fish will do.

one-tray-baked-fish-&-veg-web

While going through my cook books  I rediscovered a favourite that I was given by our eldest daughter on my first Mothers Day (she is 7 now).  The book was Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros and Miss E’s tiny handprints are inside.  Makes my heart melt to look at it.

ellies-hands-in-cook-book-web

I did quite a few recipes from the book, a favourite being  these Cranberry & Choc Chip Biscuits

cranberry-choc-chip-cookies-web

I tried out Kale & Walnut pesto that I used for a Tortellini & Kale Pesto & Pea dinner, definitely worth trying

kale-&-walnut-pesto-web

My cooktop “Handitile” for under the Thermomix arrived and I’ve been putting it to good use.  I had been steaming up the kitchen by using the Thermomix on the bench with no extractor fan nearby, by sitting it on the tile I can move it to the cooktop under the extractor fan and no more dripping walls and windows!  It also came with a Cauliflower Soup recipe that I will be trying out soon. There is no end to accessories in this kitchen!

handitile-web

Always on high rotation around here are my Oaty Chia Biscuits (healthy!) which are just baking in the oven right now!

Oaty-Chia-Biscuits-web

With Fathers Day on Sunday I have been trying out some “Dude Food” and this “Beer Can Chicken” was a winner.  Don’t let the fact that the chicken is stuffed by a beer can put you off, it actually makes for a wonderfully moist and flavoursome BBQ chicken, really it does!

beer-can-chicken-web

We served it up with some roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes and parsnips and this Roasted Cauliflower, Broccoli & Chickpea Salad

Broccoli,-Cauliflower-&-Chickpea-Salad-web

It rained solidly for 2 weeks in Sydney so that mean a lot of time indoors, lots of baking and some random terrarium making wishing for sunnier days, as you do!  This now sits on the kitchen window sill.

terrarium-web

So there you have a round up of  “In My Kitchen” his month.  Is there anything that took your interest or you are keen to give a try?

A huge thank you to Celia for hosting this.  For lovely peeks into other peoples kitchen from all around the world why don’t you head over to Fig Jam & Lime Cordial yourself and also check out Celia’s fantastic collection of recipes and stories.

• 0

Overall Score

• Reader Rating:  0 Votes

You May Also Like

18 comments on “In My Kitchen – September 2014

1. Ardys
    September 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm

The egg cosies are adorable. That fish and veggie tray looks delicious too. What a good idea to have your thermomix on a hob so you can use the extractor fan. Very interesting and fun post, thank you Vicki!

September 4, 2014 at 5:38 pm

My pleasure, it’s fun writing them isn’t it?

2. Mandy - The Complete Book
    September 4, 2014 at 5:20 pm

What a fabulous look into your kitchen, so many lovely things, I especially love your egg cosies.
    Have a wonderful day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

September 4, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Thank you. Hope you have a lovely day too!

3. Liz Posmyk of Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things
    September 4, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Wow Vicki, you’ve been cooking up a veritable storm! Thanks for the peek into your kitchen… I love those handprints! What a treasured memory.

Incidentally, if you are heading to Noosa, you might like to check out my Postcards and Morsels from Noosa on Good Things. : )

September 5, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Thank you and I will definitely check out your postcards and morsels – love the name!

4. Hotly Spiced
    September 4, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I’d love to try the beer can chicken. Such a great recipe to pull out for Father’s Day. And I’m very interested in the Thermomix. I know so many people who have them and no one has anything bad to say about them. They must be a great appliance xx

September 5, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Love the Thermomix! If you are interested I did a review a few weeks ago comparing a Big W “Ultimate Kitchen Machine” to the Thermomix (it’s under Ultimate Kitchen Machine” if you do a search for it). The Beer Can Chicken was fun to do – a bit of a novelty but still tasted great!

5. Tania @My Kitchen stories
    September 5, 2014 at 11:25 pm

It has been a long trying rainy time but thats Ok if you have a thermomix. You can just keep on cooking. i love Apples for Jam its such a great book. ( with cute handprints). Egg cozies I was once going to make those and never got time!

September 8, 2014 at 11:40 am

Yay the sun is shining today though! Washing instead of cooking today!

6. Gretchen
    September 6, 2014 at 6:09 am

My you have been busy in the kitchen! The cookbooks look wonderful, the fish and veggies delicious. Many biscuits and the egg cosies are too cute!

September 8, 2014 at 11:41 am

Thanks for stopping by. We like the egg cosies too!

7. Joanne T Ferguson
    September 6, 2014 at 1:03 pm

G’day! What a lovely post that brightened my day!
    Thanks for sharing your kitchen this month too!
    Cheers! Joanne

September 8, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thank you and thanks for stopping by to read it. Will have to come up with new things for next month!

8. Fiona @TIFFIN bite sized food adventures
    September 8, 2014 at 9:02 pm

You’re just too clever with that tile so you can use the range hood. What a brilliant idea. We’re getting a new kitchen soon so I’ll be stealing that idea! Feel free to send some Oaty Chia Biscuits my way too. Thanks for the tour. xx

September 11, 2014 at 9:40 am

thanks for stopping by. good luck with your new kitchen!

9. celia
    September 10, 2014 at 6:50 am

You know, for years I’ve been saying I wanted to try beer can chicken, but we never have. Your photo made me laugh – I love the look of the chook standing up to attention as it roasts! Your cookbook with those wee handprints is a treasure, and your jammy dodgers are the bee’s knees! Can I ask though – what’s special about the Handitile? Wouldn’t a regular tile have worked in the same way, or is there some special adaptation for use with the Thermomix? I had a look at their website and couldn’t figure it out. Thanks…

September 10, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I really recommend the beer can chicken! It’s not something I would normally make but it really did taste good and was a great source of amusement as well. I’m glad it made you laugh. Yes, the Handitile, well you are right it does rather look like the tiles I have in our bathroom and we do have a stack of them down the side of the house that could probably have done the same job if I had thought about it! I think the only “special” thing is that it has a soft spongey backing (felt like I think) so that when you move it, it doesn’t scrape the bench top. I’m a sucker for a kitchen accessory…