In My Kitchen October 2014, a monthly round up

We’ve been on school holidays so there has been quite a lot of action in the Boiled Eggs and Soldiers Kitchen this month with quite a bit of focus on kids food. (Asparagus is in season so we (I) used it for Boiled Eggs & Asparagus Soldiers, as you do!).

We kicked off the holidays with drinks at a friends house and I took along corn fritters with avocado smash and proscuitto.  Very quick and easy to make, look good and taste yummy!

The bubbles went down well too!

These appeared in my kitchen this month, they were picked up at a garage sale by a friend of mine and she thought I might like to use them as props.  Not sure if I like them or not?  Vintage treasure or kitsch fish, what do you think? The jug looks like a happy little fellow but the plates are grumpy fish!  They are by Shorter & Sons, Stoke on Trent if anyone knows anything about them?  Should go on Antiques Roadshow with them!

Speaking of fish…I borrowed a friends copy of the Monday Morning Cooking Club cook books which are so wonderful.  Have you got them?  The recipes are fabulous but the story behind the books and each of the recipes are really the best part.  I made the  Maple & Soy Ocean Trout for some friends (had a little mishap that you can read about here if you like) but I’ve also made it twice since.  It is so easy and so delicious, I really recommend it.

Not in my kitchen but I went to a demonstration of the new Thermomix 5 at a friends house and wrote about it here.  I won’t be getting one but it’s pretty flash!

I was trying to be creative (and healthy) for school holiday snacks.  We found an idea for these cucumber baguettes and veggie skewers that the girls had fun making and eating.

And with the left over cucumber pulp we made this cucumber lemonade. Perfect for warm days (and with a splash of gin as a cocktail)!

But most of all in our kitchen this month we have had strawberries, strawberries and strawberries.

If you would like to have a peek into what’s been going on in other lovely people’s kitchens around the world this month why don’t you pop over to Celia’ Fig Jam & Lime Cordial “In My Kitchen” Page where she very kindly hosts monthly link ups.

See anything that takes your fancy?  What’s been going on in your kitchen?

• 0

Overall Score

• Reader Rating:  0 Votes

You May Also Like

21 comments on “In My Kitchen October 2014, a monthly round up

1. Kirsty
    October 4, 2014 at 8:32 am

H Vicki, your fritter platter looks great. I do like all things fritter-y. Your cucumber snacks look very healthy indeed. A new take on the ‘ants on a log’ snack. Oh, I love your social media icons too, cute little eggies.

October 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by and your very kind comments. I also like all things frittery!

2. Mandy - The Complete Book
    October 4, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Reckon I could enjoy your corn fritters as a full meal. 😀
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    🙂 Mandy xo

October 5, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Thank you, you too Mandy. x

3. Sandra
    October 5, 2014 at 8:03 am

Grumpy fish plates would ruin your appetite methinks, although the glazed ocean trout would cheer me up again. Thanks for the peek into your kitchen.

October 5, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Pleasure Sandra. I agree I think the grumpy fish would ruin your appetite! Have a good week.

4. Hotly Spiced
    October 5, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Your strawberries look amazing. And I do love the sound of your cucumber lemonade – perfect with gin like you say. And the fish china is very cute – I do wonder what Antiques Roadshow would think of them! xx

October 6, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for stopping by. Today was a perfect day for cucumber lemonade!

5. Elizabeth
    October 5, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Hmmmm not to sure about the plates, but I’m sure you will find something that would be perfect! I have a TM5 and a TM31 and love them both for different reasons! The November price will be $2098! Thanks for sharing! Liz x

October 6, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I think I might save the plates for a retro themed party or something. Lucky you having both the TM5 and TM31 very envious!

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
    October 6, 2014 at 8:51 am

Lovely to see what was in your kitchen! 😀 Those vintage treasures are interesting-I’ve never seen a set like that! 🙂

October 6, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Thank you for stopping by. I’ve never seen anything like those plates either – a retro party is called for I think to use them!

7. Gretchen
    October 6, 2014 at 10:17 am

Cucumber lemonade is indeed wonderful! The strawberries look incredible, wishing it were spring here again!

October 6, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Thanks for stopping by. Today was a perfect day here for cucumber lemonade but you have all the lovely autumn produce now too. I love that we get to really be “global” being part of IMK!

8. Joanne T Ferguson
    October 6, 2014 at 1:05 pm

G’day Your fritters look lovely! Wish I could try one now!
    Thanks for this month’s kitchen view also!
    Cheers! Joanne

October 6, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for stopping by. x

9. Beck
    October 8, 2014 at 11:39 am

I think the fish are so kitsch they’re fabulous, I think you have to use them 😉
    Looks like you’re already getting well into spring/summer eating – thanks for the lovely view of your kitchen. We’re still a bit between seasons down here, though also eating lots of strawberries!

October 8, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by. The fish are definitely a talking point!

10. celia
    October 14, 2014 at 6:16 am

Those corn fritters look seriously yum! And I’m not sure about the grumpy fish either, but could be worth googling to see if they’re some rare find, I guess! 🙂 Haven’t strawberries been fabulous this month!

11. Jennifer from Milk and Honey
    October 14, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Oh those fish plates and that jug are adorable. So retro – so right now. I bet some cafe would be willing to pay a tidy price for them if you can’t find a use for them. They are in such good nick.

And you’ve sold me on the cucumber (and gin) cocktail. Genius!

October 14, 2014 at 9:38 pm

That’s a great idea, thanks! Yes I can see cucumber gin cocktails coming up this summer! x