In My Kitchen – January 2015!

HNY-sand-web

Hello, welcome back! A very happy New Year to you.  Let’s make 2015 a great one shall we?

How is it shaping up so far?  It’s been a bit of a holiday blur here. We’ve been away for 10 days in beautiful Berry and then Goulburn, road tripping, visiting family and friends so there hasn’t really been too much going on in my actual kitchen but I’m back now and raring to go (well sort of, it’s too hot today!).

Last year I joined in with Celia, from Fig Jam & Lime Cordial’s monthly kitchen round up.  There are so many lovely & talented people that do it and some fantastic kitchen inspiration from all over the world, I love it. I’m keen to keep up with IMK posts this year so here is my first blog post for 2015 and my contribution to IMK. Ta Dah!

On our arrival in Berry (South Coast, NSW, 2 hours from Sydney) my sister in law, lovely Linda, presented us with a gorgeous basket of local produce including great wines from Coolangatta Estate, jams, sourdough and this….

walnuts-in-honey-web

Walnuts in honey to go with cheese.  Nothing short of Ah-mazing!  So simple but so yummy, I couldn’t get enough of it.

I asked for a cook book for Christmas, obviously (!) and Mum came up with the goods.

unnamed

“Plenty More” – love, love, love it!

I can’t wait to start trying out the recipes.

GT loves his trifle and it’s his contribution to the Christmas gorge fest – he made it 3 times in 10 days!!!!  (We were with loads of people).

unnamed

He hasn’t shared the recipe (top secret apparently) but I did see Port Wine Jelly go in and, oddly, some free pouring of Bailey’s went into the mix too.  As there was a bottle lying around we made Bailey’s slushies for dinner on Christmas night.

unnamed

Definitely try it, it’s as easy as.  A good slug of Baileys a handful of ice cubes whizzed together in the Thermomix or blender, yum!

I haven’t done any baking lately but the girls did ask for pancakes for breakfast the other day when we got home.  Normally they faff about taking forever to eat breakfast, drives me nuts, but I  got a bit creative and in the spirit of summer made apple & cinnamon “Sun Pancakes” for them. Gone in 50 seconds!

sun-pancakes-web1

Happy Days!

Also in the spirit of summer and holidays we had grown up treats too (not for breakfast) and made “Pimms Pops”.  Just make the Pimms how you like it (I do a 50/50 mix of lemonade and dry ginger ale), finely slice some fruit (we did strawberries, cucumber & mint) and freeze in ice block moulds.

Pimms-Pops-web

Very happy days!

Beverages seem to be taking over this post! We’ve also been loving some Iced Teas, we chilled some of T2’s Strawberry Tea that has been a winner all round.  Well, it’s pink and icy and both of those go down well here!

strawberry-iced-tea-web

Finally, I’ve been taking advantage of the delicious and cheap blueberries around at the moment (so good) and came up with this “Blueberry Summer Salad”, simple, seasonal and I think, sensational!

Blueberry-salad-1-web

Maybe give it a try next time you are asked to “bring a salad”, it’s a little bit different to the norm.

So there you go.  Now, why not take a sticky beak into Celia’s and some other kitchen’s through Fig Jam & Lime Cordials Link Up you just never know what might take your fancy.

What have you been up to over the festive season?  Still on holidays or back to the daily grind?

28 comments on “In My Kitchen – January 2015!

January 6, 2015 at 9:10 pm

I love this link up, I’ve been following along on ate plus six, and I am so pleased that you have joined the party too! I’m totally going to try that divine looking Baileys and ice concoction in the Thermomix. I might just have to play along next month, this all looks too delicious to resist!

January 7, 2015 at 9:44 am

Oh you have to, such lovely people and amazing foodie things. Yes get the Bailey’s slushie into you – it’s delicious!

2. Karin @CalmtoConniption
    January 7, 2015 at 9:39 am

Back into it but it is hard to shed the holiday mode. At least I think today I have actually brought my mind to the desk, I think!

January 7, 2015 at 9:45 am

I hear you! I’m only on half speed at the moment too. x

3. Napoli Restaurant Alert
    January 7, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Oh those walnuts look good – are they available in Sydney?

January 7, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Hi there. I’m not sure where they are stocked but I checked out their website and you can order online – they are soooo good! http://southcoastprovidores.com.au

4. Lizzy (Good Things)
    January 7, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Hi there Victoria and happy new year! Woooooo, so many good things in your kitchen… that trifle looks stupendous… and I love that you have the Ottolenghi book… did you go to the lunch in Sydney? Thanks for the peek into your kitchen and happy new year xo

January 7, 2015 at 7:44 pm

HI Lizzy, thanks for stopping by. Unfortunately I couldn’t get to the lunch but would have loved to.

5. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    January 7, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Ohhh Berry. Damn I love that place. Lots of relaxing around here lately hun… and procrastinating 😉 I do both very well haha xx

January 8, 2015 at 8:34 am

lots of procrastinating here too!

6. Francesca
    January 8, 2015 at 6:05 am

II love all the beverages in this post. The Bailey’s slushie looks inviting. Must try some iced tea drinks now that summer is upon us. And those adult icypoles- hand one over.

January 8, 2015 at 8:35 am

Drinks are all I seem capable of at the moment! Thanks for stopping by.

7. Fiona @TIFFIN bite sized food adventures
    January 8, 2015 at 10:02 am

I’d be loving those walnut in honey too. They look delicious! I’m quite partial to an adult popsicle and have made G&T ones in the past. I’m going to give your Pimms ones a go. What a lovely summery kitchen you have this month (those strawberry iced teas look very refreshing!). Thanks for the tour. cheers Fiona

ps: here’s a link to my G&T iceblock : http://www.tiffinbitesized.com.au/2013/11/01/summer-ice-block-adventures-the-colonial/

January 8, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Thanks so much Fiona – will be trying out your G&T iceblocks too!

8. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    January 8, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Bailey’s slushies? Now you’re talking. And Pimms popsicles – must try that with maybe a bit of vodka in there too….strictly for adults. Three of those trifles in 10 days? Sounds like a great holiday. Happy New Year!

January 8, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Hi Nancy – I know! My husband is man of extremes – there won’t be any trifles now until next Christmas. Good idea adding the vodka to the Pimms Pops.

9. Miss Food Fairy
    January 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Hope you’re having a lovely time at the beach on your holiday Vicki. Looks like your festive season was full of colours – very bright indeed 🙂 Looking forward to some great recipes from you & Ottolenghi. See you next month for IMK

January 11, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Thanks so much. I’m itching to get to some of the recipes, he is so inspiring!

10. Ania
    January 9, 2015 at 8:05 am

Hi Vicki, how lovely and sunny is your January kitchen!

I love the look of those Pimms popsicles, what a great idea.

See you next month in IMK x

January 11, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by. yes do love a Pimms Pop!

11. Hotly Spiced
    January 9, 2015 at 9:09 am

We tend to get into the Baileys at Christmastime as well. I do love the look of all your pretty drinks. That’s a great cookbook too. Happy New Year! xx

January 11, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by. It does seem to be all about drinks in summer!

12. Gretchen
    January 12, 2015 at 7:17 am

The pancakes are adorable! Who,wouldn’t eat them in under a minute?! The trifle sounds great too. Bailey’s and ice, yum. Another fun yet more wicked indulgence it Bailey’s, creme de menthe, cookies and cream ice cream and milk for a fabulous milkshake.

January 12, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Oh wow that milkshake sounds amazing! Thanks for stopping by.

13. celia
    January 16, 2015 at 9:51 am

Isn’t Berry just the nicest town? With the best shopping too. That trifle looks absolutely amazing – can’t believe you all ate your way through three of them! I’ve just been lent Yotam’s book and it’s a glorious read! 🙂

January 16, 2015 at 10:25 am

Hi Celia. Yes just love Berry. I have to confess I couldn’t make my way through all 3 of them, too much of a good thing for me but I did taste test 2 out of the 3 and they were pretty good! Can’t wait to try out some Yotam recipes too.

14. sherry from sherrys pickings
    January 21, 2015 at 2:21 pm

mmm bailey’s slushies. yes please. love the look of the pancakes and the walnuts in honey sounds great too. the blueberry salad looks so pretty and healthy. cheers to a great 2015

January 21, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Sherry. Cheers to the slushies!