In My Kitchen – March 2015

Date-&-Cranberry-Loaf-web1

Hello, I missed contributing to last months In My Kitchen over on Fig Jam & Lime Cordial as the website was going through a major overhaul but we are back now!

While the website was being revamped (if you want to know more about what’s new and different on it you can have a read here if you like) there was quite a bit going on in the kitchen.

Miss 7 is now Miss 8!  She loves her art and craft so we had an “art” party for her. Doing that at home on a rainy day is not for the faint hearted and took me (and the house) about a week to recover (more about it here) but here is a sample of what they ate!  Thanks to Pinterest for the inspiration!

party foodThe fruit skewers were popular, the hummus and vegie cups not so much!  Chicken & Pumpkin Sausage rolls always a winner and the jelly cups with frozen yoghurt bites went down a treat too.

As it was an “art” party of course we had to theme the cake, as you do ….

paint-cake-web

Did you ever have one like this growing up?

If you have been reading my IMK posts for a while now you may have gathered that I like kitchen “things” and this month is no different with finding this icing spatula! It was perfect for smoothing out the icing on the art cake. I’m not very good at icing so I need all the help I can get!

cake knife Collage(I found it at Howards Storage)

With birthdays over it was back to school baking that took over the kitchen for a while…

unnamed

I tried out this Choc Chip Banana Cake recipe from A Cooker & A Looker which was well loved by the girls and has been asked to be repeated many time since.

My youngest won’t eat banana’s (she is particularly fussy at the moment, very annoying) but loves them in cake (who doesn’t?) so banana cake, loaf, muffins etc feature heavily in her lunch box and I’m always trying out new versions.

Banana-Date-Loaf-web

Yesterday was this Banana Date Loaf (will blog the recipe soon) which was also a winner in her book and following the crumb trail last night from the kitchen to the lounge where my husband was found scoffing it looks like it was a winner in his books too!

Date-&-Cranberry-Loaf-web1

Cranberry Date Loaf, a lot of loaves happening this month!

Still using dates (not banana’s this time but she still loved it) I converted a Cranberry Date Loaf recipe for the Thermomix and I will post that recipe soon too, was yummy slathered in butter!

The crowd pleaser though for cakes this month – mainly because bundt tins make cakes look so pretty was this Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake  (recipe is here).

unnamed

Now, it’s not all cakes and baking in our house (because a house is exactly what I would end up looking like)!  I’ve also been trying out some chilled soups.  Inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi I made his Tomato & Watermelon Gazpacho (adapted for the Thermomix).

watermelon-gazpacho-web

I loved it and that is coming from someone who doesn’t like fresh tomatoes!  I then tried this Chilled Pea & Yoghurt Soup, which is great as a light lunch on a warm day (recipe coming soon).

chilled-pea-soup-webl

Do you like cold soups?

Finally, I’m starting a “linky party” for mid week meals in under 30 minutes (please take a look next week for the “launch” and I’d LOVE you to contribute too) so have been trying out lots of quick dinners. As a sneak peak this Tuna, Lemon & Buckwheat Pasta is a quick, easy, healthy and cheap mid week dinner.  And tasty!

tuna-lemon-buckwheat-pasta-web

So while I have been absent from “IMK” I have been busy in the background!  As always, a big thank you to Celia at Fig Jam & Lime Cordial for hosting the monthly In My Kitchen.  Please pop over and check out what Celia has been been up to, so inspiring and interesting, and take a look at what’s been going on in lots of other kitchens all around the world.

Do you have a favourite “hidden” Banana recipe to share for my fussy eater? Do you like chilled soups? Any favourites? Do you go down the Pinterest rabbit hole looking for inspiration too?

30 comments on “In My Kitchen – March 2015

1. Tania @My Kitchen Stories
    March 7, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I have to be honest … I hate chilled soups , Hate. But as for hiding bananas in often make these pancakes http://www.mykitchenstories.com.au/2013/04/in-my-kitchen-april-2013/. I love your paint cake

March 7, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Ha ha!I know cold soup doesn’t seem quite right but they were yummy, honestly! Will give those pancakes a go thank you!

2. Hotly Spiced
    March 8, 2015 at 7:25 am

You certainly went to a lot of trouble for your daughter’s birthday party. I’m glad it went well. The fruit sticks are really gorgeous. I’ve done the vegetable thingy at kids’ parties before and yep, it’s not popular! I think you did a great job of the paint palette cake. And the bundt cake is really pretty xx

March 8, 2015 at 9:47 am

Thanks so much the party did end up being a bit OTT but they had fun! x

3. Kim | a little lunch
    March 8, 2015 at 8:34 am

Vicki, I thought your hummus cups were gorgeous (craving one now… looking for my Tahini and veggies to slice), and ALL of your birthday party offerings were beautiful, especially that CAKE. How wonderful to create an artist’s palette… your daughter will never forget it. What a lot of LOVE in this post!

March 8, 2015 at 9:49 am

Thanks so much Kim, got to love Pinterest for inspiration! I hope you satisfied that hummus craving. x

4. Kirsty
    March 8, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Vicky, I do love a good bundt recipe and your apple cinnamon looks and sounds really good. I’ve had my eye on a stunning bundt cake tin from Nordic Ware (the Heritage) but alas its from the US and a little pricey. Did I mention stunning? One day…
    Love your ‘art’ party offerings, and what a great looking cake. Pinterest is fab for bringing ideas together. Cheers, Kirsty xx

March 8, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I don’t know Nordic Ware will need to check it out. Thanks so much for stopping by.

5. Kirsty
    March 8, 2015 at 4:16 pm

D’oh, I just saw I ‘Vicky’d’ you instead of Vicki. Sorry!! : )

6. Napoli Restaurant Alert
    March 8, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Very noble of you to try the vegetable cups with the kids!

March 8, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Ha! I know, worth a try!

7. Kavey
    March 8, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Love the look of the banana and date cake. I have Plenty More too and keep forgetting to cook from it, which is crazy as I bookmarked half the book!
    Kavey (my first time joining IMK this month!)

March 8, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Hi There, thanks so much for stopping by.

8. Jhuls | The Not So Creative Cook
    March 9, 2015 at 12:50 am

Wow! Those hummus cups are so creative and beautiful. For the rest of the photos, I just love them.

Stopping by from IMK,
    xx Jhuls

March 9, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Thanks so much Jhuls. x

9. Cate
    March 9, 2015 at 2:46 am

Quick hello from myself, I love date loaf! Can’t wait until I am in an apartment with an oven so I can make some myself! I laughed at the mention of chilled soup, I’ve been working on soup recipes for my next recipe ebook and I told my husband it was a shame we didn’t have any shot glasses so I couldn’t photograph my soup in shot glasses. He was revolted by the idea! hehe.

March 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Hello! I know people either love or hate cold soup! Thanks for stopping by.

March 9, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Cate I was trying to leave a comment on your IMK post but couldn’t seem to – I love your resourcefulness and those party gurkens!

10. Fiona @TIFFIN bite sized food adventures
    March 11, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Ah Pinterest…the saviour and bane of cooks, parents and creators. The art palette is wonderful and quite a simple concept. Pinned! Also loving the colour of your (and Yotam’s) gazpacho. cheers

March 11, 2015 at 6:47 pm

So true about Pinterest!Ha ha. Thanks for stopping by.

11. Fleur - Our Urban Box
    March 11, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I love banana bread! My hubby makes a really nice one. I am not a fan of chilled soups at all. I like my soup hot! I am always looking for inspiration but the problem is finding something inspiring and that my kids will eat x

March 11, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Ha! You are not alone on the chilled soup front, was a bit of a break from the norm for me too but I liked these ones!! Feeding the kids is a never ending story!

12. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    March 13, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Not a banana fan. Maybe someone needs hidden banana recipes to make me! I love pinterest for all things especially all the yums!

March 13, 2015 at 10:15 pm

To be honest I only really eat bananas in cake too! I’m casing pinterest now for new home inspiration as a big move is coming for us!

13. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur
    March 26, 2015 at 12:22 pm

That Bundt cake is beautiful! So much deliciousness happening in your kitchen!

March 26, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Thank you so much – the tin does all the magic!

14. Elizabeth
    March 26, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I have finally got around to the IMK post for march, just in time to start again for April! What a great post…. fantastic food at a party! I am allergic to bananas so even hidden ones make me throw up so not really good for me… So I won’t share my hidden banana stories! hehe! you 30 minute meals look great I will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing! Liz xx

March 26, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Thank you so much. Oh no – you definitely do not want to be trying those banana recipes then! That’s no good at all! Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to IMK in April.

15. sherry from sherrys pickings
    March 27, 2015 at 4:08 pm

sausage rolls yum! who can resist and these look marvellous. Everyone seems to have ottolenghi’s books; i had better catch up:) the bundt cake looks so pretty. great stuff in your kitchen:)

March 28, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Sherry. Ottolenghi’s book is fantastic! thanks somuch for stopping by.