On the hunt for Easter Ideas – food, decorations & inspiration

easter-egg-cupcakes-webEaster is so much fun and so much yumminess too!  I just love Hot Cross Buns, do you?  And well, chocolate!  Do I need to say any more?

I thought this year, as I do love Hot Cross Buns so much, I’d give it a go of making them myself.  Lauren from Bake Make Create and one half of Thermobliss has posted this Easy Hot Cross Bun recipe – I used the Thermomix version switched in spelt flour but oh my – how good and surprisingly, not difficult! Am eating one now.  If you want to take it up a notch Lauren has gone as far as putting in Mars Bars and also has a white chocolate and cranberry version too. Yum!  Will try those next.

hot-cross-buns-web

I have to fess up I bought these buns in the photo as the ones I made got eaten before I could snap them (my crosses weren’t quite so perfect but they tasted soooo good!).

If you are a complete chocoholic check out this “Easter Bark” – I have to admit that it’s too much for me but does it appeal to you?

easter bark

Photo credit & recipe here

Martha Stewart to the rescue if you want to theme up an Easter lunch with these napkins folded into bunnies!

mml304_0410_q13_vert

Photo credit & DIY instructions here

Got some old party decorations that you don’t know what to do with? This is a great way to repurpose some of those paper ball thingies.

54eabd85965c8_-_bunny_head-uqcqpq-s3

source

How gorgeous are these egg shell planters?

eastersucculentgarden03

Photo credit & DIY instructions here

I do love a bit of bling so these eggs are right up my alley, so pretty!  I’m going to attempt these with my girls although I don’t think our end product will be quite so neat and tidy but will definitely be glittery!  An outside job, when we are away on holidays otherwise I’ll be finding glitter for the next year!

Glitter-Easter-Eggs1

Photo credit & DIY instructions here

I’ve put together a Pinterest board with lots of other ideas including bonnets if you have little people doing parades and need some inspiration but for now, about those Easter basket cupcakes in the top photo…

The girls had some friends over for a playdate and as I was benignly neglecting them & checking out Instagram I kept seeing all these lovely Easter treats in my feed so I thought best get baking.  I usually use this recipe for basic vanilla cupcakes and this for butter icing.  No need to reinvent the wheel there!

easter-cupcakes-set-up-web

I found the praline quail eggs at the fruit market (amazingly delicious) but any chocolate eggs will do and we cut up coloured paper into strips to be the handles for the baskets.

easter-cup-cakes-kids-web

The girls then did their own decorating with most of the icing going straight into their mouths of course. The basket handles just slide into the side of the cupcakes and the icing helps it stick there.

A simple but fun way to decorate cupcakes and an easy way to entertain at a playdate, afternoon tea sorted too!

What are you doing for Easter?  Do you DIY?

14 comments on “On the hunt for Easter Ideas – food, decorations & inspiration

1. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    March 26, 2015 at 5:15 pm

How gorgeous are all of these easter treats! I love the idea of making spelt hot cross buns!

March 26, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Thanks Lucy. The spelt ones were yummy but I love all hot cross buns!

2. Cate
    March 26, 2015 at 8:28 pm

haha my hot cross buns never look that good! Can’t wait until I move and have access to an oven again 🙂

March 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I think you are doing amazingly well without an oven. It’s all about the taste with the hot cross buns! x

3. Maxabella
    March 27, 2015 at 9:29 am

The little handles on the cupcakes are perfect – simple and Eastery! x

March 27, 2015 at 9:59 am

Thanks Bron that was as about as creative as I could get that day!

March 27, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I so want to have a go at Hot Cross Buns, maybe I should just whip some up in the thermie? I think I’d have to add choc chips as my husband avidly anti-raisin. There have been so many delicious variations around the traps this Easter it’s just too tempting. That Easter bark is right up my sweet street, but it would be just too tempting. I’d probably eat all the toppings before the chocolate had even set! Love all your ideas – especially the Easter basket cupcakes! So sweet!

March 28, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Definitely in the Thermie Sammie – made it so easy but once you start you won’t stop!! Thanks lovely. x

5. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    March 28, 2015 at 7:58 pm

I am such a sucker for DIY anything and Easter is the perfect excuse to get my Martha on. I love those glitter eggs.. although am terrified of glitter lol xx

March 29, 2015 at 7:11 am

A glitter wand just exploded on the hallway runner (don’t ask but I think some black magic rather than fairy magic was involved) so I feel your terror of glitter acutely right now!

6. Dannielle@Zamamabakes
    March 28, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Wow!
    So many pretty ideas. I’m loving Martha Stewarts Napkin bunny and those egg shell planters, too cute what a great gift idea.

March 29, 2015 at 7:13 am

I’ve been practicing the bunny napkins, loving the lead up to Easter! x

7. Eilis
    April 3, 2015 at 7:02 am

We made your beautiful Hot Cross buns in the Thermomix. Delicious….. My first time to make them ever. The kids put the crosses on top…. Perhaps the start of an annual tradition.
    Thanks again Vixki!

April 3, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I think that’s a great tradition to start up, so many different types to try out too. Happy Easter xx