Overnight Oats – breakfast ready and waiting

overnight-oats-web

So apparently overnight oats have been a “thing” for a while but I have been oblivious (seems to be a common state of affairs at the moment, too many things going on) anyway, I was put onto them by an Instagram acquaintance who has a fish & chips truck in Seattle and keeps asking me for “jaunty” photo’s – see how far social media can go, how random and just slightly concerning!!  When I posted a picture of my Chia Pods he suggested overnight oats, “huh”, I said “what are they”, so checked them out and couldn’t believe how easy and how tasty they are not to mention healthy and filling.

So I made a very basic version of them 3/4 C rolled oats mixed with 3/4 C milk (choose your own milk) and chilled in a jar in the fridge overnight.  In the morning top with whatever you please, I did some muesli that I am obsessed with at the moment (Sonoma Spelt & Maple) and fresh berries. (that was for 1 so just keep doubling)

I then put a photo on Facebook & Instagram (as you do) and was given some great suggestions to make them even tastier.

unnamed

Then my blogging friend Sammie of The Annoyed Thyroid told me she had just blogged about them too – hers look really yummy, check them out here.

So so you do overnight oats? Got a favourite way of making them? Are you feeling a bit behind the 8 ball at the moment too?

11 comments on “Overnight Oats – breakfast ready and waiting

1. Veggie Mama
    March 12, 2015 at 8:54 am

I’ve tried, but I just can’t do overnight oats – there’s something about cold oats I can’t handle! also that weird, uncooked but still soft texture…

but if it helps, I’m so far behind the 8 ball at the moment I’m not even on the bloody table 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I feel the same about bircher muesli, can’t do that but was okay with the oats. I’m glad you’re with me behind the 8 ball!

2. Kat - The Organised Housewife
    March 12, 2015 at 9:07 am

Ooh i have never done Oats in the fridge overnight! I have heard so much about them though, and i love that breakfast is ready fuss free the next day. Perfect for those busy mornings!

March 12, 2015 at 10:30 pm

I love that they are so easy and then so any different toppings to try. Thanks so much for stopping by. x

March 12, 2015 at 8:10 pm

We are total converts now. We’ve tried reducing the honey in ours and it’s still deliciously sweet. It makes mornings so much easier and a lot more delicious!

March 12, 2015 at 10:31 pm

I’m not a morning person so I love that the decision about what to have is already made and ready and waiting. thanks so much for stopping by. x

4. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    March 13, 2015 at 6:22 pm

I saw Sammies and said I have to try them.. and I still havent. I will thought. I just will. In other news – so exciting your blog is up and running and I LOVE the gorgeous clean look xx

March 13, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback on the blog. And yes get those oats into you! x

5. Maxabella
    March 14, 2015 at 9:25 am

I love a Bircher muesli (kinda an overnight oats?) but have never tried this style. I just love every little thing about oats, so what’s it to love!! Thanks Vicki. x

6. Maxabella
    March 14, 2015 at 9:26 am

PS – I was going to email you, but I’m here anyway so… really gutted to have missed meeting you properly this week. I thought I might get some of the Sydney bloggers together soonest. Are you keen? x

March 14, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Yes to the Bircher muesli being kinda overnight oats (except I don’t like the apple in the Bircher!). That is a great idea to get some bloggers together would be super keen. x