“I’m bored” ideas for holiday fun that doesn’t involve craft!

ellie-wig-web1

Holidays, are you having fun?  Are you away?  Doing anything exciting?

We have been away on Magnetic Island which is like a step back in time and the girls can roam free with very little structure to the day excepting eating ice creams and playing at the beach. Despite how relaxing it is they are knackered, boogie boarding for 8 hours straight does that to you so it’s good to have some down days at home with no planned activities, stay in the PJ’s and just see where the day takes us in order for them to recharge. Days at home often involved craft which I’m happy for my girls to do but I’d prefer it was stuff they can do on their own and there are times that I get, shall we say, a tad uptight, with all the mess involved, especially when there’s paint, on their feet, that goes through the house, and on the walls and let’s not get started on glitter…..

So, I used the internet to it’s advantage and searched around for kids activities that didn’t involve too much craft or too much money.  Here are a few things that I found that I thought you might like tucked up your sleeve for those at home days too…

de3150d97bbcbdc31fc4a2d7149555a4

Photo credit & DIY instructions

Do yours ever say “I’m bored”? The fastest way to kick “I’m bored” whines to the curb might be having an “I’m bored” jar full of chores and jobs to be done around the house!  What do you think?

tree-image-web

What about taking it outside and be nature explorers – I liked this post on 5 steps to nature inspired playful learning.  (We had a trip last holidays to the Botanical gardens where I took this photo, so pretty).

Got Lego addicts in your house? How about mixing science with lego and making a balloon powered lego car. Does lego count as craft?

images Photo credit
imagesPhoto credit

I’ve got some wannabe detectives in the house. Do you? Here are 5 different ways to write coded letters.  Then there’s always hide and seek or a treasure hunt.

Are there any card sharks in your house? UNO is a family favourite at BE&S HQ (and about the only card game I play) but little hands can’t hold all the cards – I saw this idea and thought it was genius so made one myself for the girls.  Thrifty, recycling and practical!!!

egg-card-holder-web

You just cut up an egg carton and cut slits in the base (I used a trusty Swiss Army Knife but a Stanley Trimmer or the like would work too or some really sharp scissors).

Now that it’s getting dark earlier this might be fun to do…

glow stick bowling

No source of the original photo found on Pinterest, I looked but couldn’t find but thought it was a clever idea.

If you are still looking for more check out this post with 100 School Holiday activities!

Do you craft with your kids?  How do you deal with the “I’m Bored”?  What are you up to these holidays?

18 comments on ““I’m bored” ideas for holiday fun that doesn’t involve craft!

1. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    April 14, 2015 at 7:28 am

The egg carton card holder is very clever! Lego is always a big winner with my kids and they also love playing in their sandpit.

April 14, 2015 at 8:44 am

Mine love lego too. We have a cubby house that they are a bit big for now so like climbing up on the roof of it instead! x

2. Mumma McD
    April 14, 2015 at 8:06 am

My two are still a bit too little for these ideas, but I’ll be saving them for later. I’ve been trying to do craft lately, but with a 3.5 year old and a 20 month old it is more an exercise in frustration!!!

April 14, 2015 at 8:46 am

I love craft but it is an exercise in frustration for sure!!!!

3. Caitlin
    April 14, 2015 at 8:22 am

I do love crafting with the kids. Having four boys, they can sometimes have limited attention for craft projects though, so it’s great to read some other ideas, (or actually do some of the activities I’ve pinned!), to keep them from getting bored. My eldest always keeps himself occupied, but my five year old will often whine me about being bored and hungry. I think he would love the lego balloon car.

April 14, 2015 at 8:52 am

I thought that lego balloon idea was great too. I do love crafting but mine also have a limited attention span and so usually only get halfway through something. Thanks so much for stopping by.

4. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    April 14, 2015 at 9:59 am

What excellent ideas! I especially love the lego balloon powered car. Will have to give these a try. Thanks for sharing. xx

April 15, 2015 at 6:17 am

My pleasure. The lego balloon is great isn’t it? x

5. EssentiallyJess
    April 14, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Oh I like the idea of the detective games! My kids would love that!
    We tend to try and get outdoors as much as we can in the holidays. I don’t like spending money so we do lots of free stuff, and everyone always has fun.

April 15, 2015 at 6:19 am

My kids are right into detective and spy games at the moment too. Nothing beats getting outdoors though does it.

6. peregrinationgourmande
    April 14, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I love the night bowling! I don’t craft with my kids. I’m not crafty at all in fact. Somtimes I let them approach of the kitchen but that means I’m in a perfect mother mood! haha
    My big one is not bored easily. It’s more the little one! xx cathy

April 15, 2015 at 6:22 am

I love the night bowling too, looks like fun. My youngest did mention the other day that I don’t let them cook enough!!!!! x

7. Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    April 14, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Gosh these are fabulous ideas, detective games, my kids LOVE the Spy Kids thing so will be giving this a whirl!

April 15, 2015 at 6:26 am

Hi. Thank you, mine love spy games too which is better than the pranking (which they think is called “franking”??) that they have also started to think is funny!

8. Renee Wilson
    April 14, 2015 at 8:18 pm

OMG! Glo sticks in water bottles bowling is the best idea ever!!! I can’t wait until mine are a little older and we can play that. The chore jar is genius. I love it. My kids are still young enough to like helping with the chores. I don’t think that will last long! #teamIBOT

April 15, 2015 at 6:31 am

I know I loved the glo stick one too. Mine like to help fold the washing which is great as I don’t but they only last about 5 minutes on that chore, the rest they see as boring chores now!

9. Ellen @ Potential Psychology
    April 19, 2015 at 9:29 am

just found this post Vicki, what great ideas. I like the ‘I’m bored’ jars best. I can see myself using those

April 19, 2015 at 8:57 pm