Book Club: We read “The Sense of an Ending”, we ate; not much, we drank; wine

Book-Club-May-2015-web

Book Club was on again last week but it ended up being a very small one so sorry to say no special treats to bring you. I know, what!??? We did make Chicken Curry with Cauliflower Rice though but while it tastes delicious the photo’s were not so pretty so this post is all about the books and lots more than just our book of the month.  We read “The Sense of an Ending” by Julian Barnes.  Have you read it? What did you think?

9780099564973

I know it won the Man Booker prize so I probably should, but I just didn’t like it and neither did any of the others (that actually read it).  It is only a short book, (a novella!) but it seemed to drag on.  The whole book was building up to the ending which, granted, does deliver a surprise, it’s not something you would have suspected but I think what put me off was that none of the characters were particularly appealing or likeable.  Tony, the narrator isn’t really fully engaged in life and I think that is what I found irritating, he was a passive aggressive type who spent most of his time observing rather than participating.  Not that all book characters have to be likeable (I didn’t like any in Gone Girl but loved the book, you?) but in this case it made it quite tedious.  From a philosophical view point however, it did give an interesting study in aging and memory – ie how we look back on our lives and what our memories edit for us, perhaps that is why it was awarded the prize but it’s not one I’d say you have have to rush out to read.  Anyway, that was just our opinion would love to know if you have read it and thought differently.

The other books however, that I have read in the last 6 weeks, that I definitely think you should rush out to read are Still Alice, also dealing with memory but a story about Alice who has early onset alzhiemers.  The book really moved me and stayed with me for days afterwards. It’s actually quite heart wrenching.  Have you read it?

9781501107733I know this is now a movie but I don’t know if it can do the book justice, anyone seen it?  Do you like seeing movies after you’ve read the book?

I’m still fan girling on Liane Moriarty and read The Husbands Secrets while on holiday.  Loved it. Unputdownable.

9781405911665

I’m slightly worried though, that I’ve agreed to help out on the school’s Trivia Night and after reading her Big Little Lies at Christmas  I am concerned that it has the potential to go very, horribly, wrong!!  Have you read it, spookily familiar????

For our next Book Club Book we are going to be reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

9780857522320

Everyone who has read it raves about it so I’m really looking forward to getting stuck into it after I finish reading The Wife Drought by Annabel Crabb which I’m really enjoying.

9780857984265

Have you read it?  Thoughts?

The lovely Bron over at “Maxabella Loves” put together this great reading list (click on the photo) after she did a Facebook poll on people’s recommendations – I have a goal to get through all the list this year, ok, ok the real world will kick in at some stage but if I can get through at least some of them that will be an achievement!  Do you make time to read?  I have made it my thing at the moment (escapism from the thought of packing up the house to move interstate).

Anyway just in case you like to carry your books (or wine) around in something a bit fun I’ve found 5 book totes from around the internet that you might like;

book club Collage

1. Not on the High Street tote $30.07,  2. Cafe Press tote $21.50, 3. Etsy wine bag $19.95 4, Etsy. Trip around the World tote $25.93, 5. Zazzle Tote $22.95

*Disclaimer; I have joined the Book Depository Affiliate Program so if you buy a book through one of the links on this page I will get a small commission that might keep me in coffee for the day so that I can get through all these books to read!  No affiliate programs with the bags I just was doing a bit of, shall we say research, and found them along the way!

Have you read any good books lately?  Want to read along with us?  Please do. Do you still read actual books or iBooks?

16 comments on “Book Club: We read “The Sense of an Ending”, we ate; not much, we drank; wine

1. Haidee
    May 12, 2015 at 9:20 am

Awesome, I now have two new books on my to read list, My Husbands Secret and The Girl on the Train. Both sound great! Totally agree about the characters in Gone Girl, took me awhile to get into it but was a great book in the end!

May 12, 2015 at 9:37 am

Gone Girl – that was one movie I did see after reading the book and it was more gory than I pictured in the book! Can’t wait to get stuck into the Girl on the Train either.

• Haidee
        May 15, 2015 at 10:16 am

I’m a quarter of the way through Girl on the Train now! So far so good!

May 16, 2015 at 9:25 am

I can’t wait to get into it!

2. JodiGibson (@JFGibsonWriter)
    May 12, 2015 at 11:16 am

The Wife Drought is on my list at the moment and also a book called ‘Guilt’ by Matt Nable which I’m so excited to start reading.
    I loved The Husband’s Secret, and am a big Liane fan.
    The Girl on the Train, was intriguing, I’m sure you ‘ll love it.
    I felt the same about Gone Girl too. I was captivated, but didn’t really like any of the characters either. But, I do like that. It means the writing and storyline were brilliant. I’d love to be able to write that well, that even with unlikeable characters the book is worth reading. There’s something in that.

May 12, 2015 at 12:19 pm

You are right there is something in being captivated even when you don’t like the characters – unfortunately the Sense of an Ending didn’t captivate me – perhaps I’m not intellectual enough! I’ll look into Guilt too – thanks for the recommendation.

3. Bec @ Seeing the Lighter Side
    May 12, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Thank you so much for this! I actually haven’t read any of these and I’ve been looking for new books. #TeamIBOT

May 12, 2015 at 2:44 pm

My pleasure Bec x

4. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    May 12, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I actually finished my book last night (the Rosie Effect) and need to pick a new book to start. Decisions decisions! I hate watching movies before I read the book. Though if I read a book then watch the movie, the movie is usually a disappointment.

May 12, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I know so many choices – that’s why I like book club somebody else chooses (amongst other reasons!).

5. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    May 13, 2015 at 10:55 am

Great list of books, I’ve read Still Alice, Gone Girl, The Wife Drought and The Husband’s Secret and thought they were all great.

May 13, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Lauren, I’m halfway through the Wife Drought now and really enjoying it. x

6. Maxabella
    May 13, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I just closed “We are all completely beside ourselves” and found it equal parts joyous and wretched. It’s totally unforgettable.

Thanks for linking to my list. So far I’ve read two of the recommendations and have adored both, so yay I think the list is going to be a great ride!! x

May 13, 2015 at 2:49 pm

The list is great – I love that the choices are already made!

7. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    May 14, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I LOVED the husbands secret – actually I loved all of her books. I have just started reading Jane Green’s Promises to keep and I do love an actual book in my hand rather than an ipad xx

May 14, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I also love an actual book and am having a book affair with Liane Moriarty – loving all her books too! Will have to add that book to the list now! x