lunchbox CollageSo let’s talk lunch boxes…rather stick pins in your eyes?  Well, I’ve done a little round up of ideas to help with the daily grind and put them into a free printable for you.  Over 100 ways to fill the lunch boxes all on one page for you to stick  up on the fridge and stare at while you go through the motions of making lunch each day. Starting to sound better??

It’s a given that we all want the best for our family and try to give them healthy, nutritious food. What’s not a given is whether they will actually eat it on any given day, well in our house anyway. This is a typical after school conversation at BE&S HQ; “Why didn’t you eat your lunch?” “Didn’t like it”, “it went soggy”, “too busy”, “I forgot”, “couldn’t find it”, “too crunchy”, “Umm, can’t remember”, “ran out of time”, “please don’t give that to me again, Mummy”. “But you had it yesterday and liked it?”,  “I don’t today”! “Mummy, why did you put porridge in my lunch box?” “Umm, what? I didn’t!”  Sound familiar, except for that last one, that was a bit random!

Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer to the question of how to get them to eat everything but I do have lots of ideas of things to try them with. I also did a mini survey on Facebook just to see what other people had to say, so you know it’s not just all about me, thank you so much for all those who responded.  Here’s a brief summary…

The thing that both mine love, and I know there’s nothing good about it except that it’s homemade, is Lebanese bread, with butter and Vegemite baked until crispy and broken up into snack size pieces. I kid myself that this can be lunch or recess depending on what else is going in. From memory it was ’80s dinner party fare…”

Livs-lavosh-web

I thought this would be right up my girls alley so gave it a go – it’s a winner and now a regular lunch box feature – thanks Liv!

One child lives on bread and Vegemite and Up and Go, and only mandarin for crunch and sip. The other is totally opposite, especially obsessed with cherry tomatoes. She also loves taking fruit in general, but on the other hand isn’t a big fan of sandwiches, she likes “big” meals, so might take a pasta dish, or rice or something.  As you can see they don’t have anything in common when it comes to food so it’s double work for me!”

“The kids favourite bread is Breadtop dinner rolls. They are very soft and airy with a slight sweetness. I just put ham, butter and Vegemite but they always say they just love the rolls!”

“I have one child who is fussy and the only vege she will eat is carrot. So her lunchbox is full of fruit (3 serves), a sandwich (vege free of course!), yoghurt, Vegemite crackers, dried apricots and cheese and when I’m organised a home baked treat that I try to hide veggies in like the Sweet Potato Muffins from Gwyneth Paltrow (please don’t anyone EVER tell her what’s in them!!!). The other child eats anything so gets lots of veggies sticks with hummus, veggie slices, boiled eggs and lasagne or spag bol or 2 serves of fruit & a yoghurt”

sweet-potato-muffins-web

My girls actually really like Gwyneth’s Sweet Potato & 5 Spice Muffins too – here is my adaptation of her recipe

So it’s not all Pinterest perfect out there in Lunch Box Land is it?  In fact the metal lunch box I used in this photo is ridiculous – looks great (I think) for the photo’s but you can’t actually fit a proper school age kids lunch in it!

sushi-lunchbox-web

They are bits of cheese there not slabs of butter in case you were wondering!

One of mine is liking the purple Tupperware one at the moment

lunchbox-wrap-web

To the left was the hummus that she asked if it was porridge (?), a pikelet made into a sandwich with honey, crunchy vegemite lavosh (thanks Liv), ham wraps and crunch & sip.  Obviously the “porridge” came back home but so did the ham from inside the wraps! What can you do????

and the other the Nudie one with the different compartments.  Any favourites in your house?

spring-lunch-box-ideas-banana-roll-web

So where is that Lunch box ideas list I promised?  Right here, just click on the arrow on the top right of the photo or on the link underneath to download it (I apologise if it’s a bit clunky to download, am just working through some technical issues i.e no idea how to do it properly!)

BE&S Lunch Box Ideas Printable – click to download

A special thanks to my lovely cousin Kath who is a very clever graphic designer and made my lunch box ideas come to life on the printable x.

Got any lunch box favourites to share?

39 comments on “Lunch boxes – over 100 ideas to fill the lunchbox all on a free printable just for you!

1. Pip
    May 19, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Thanks, so many great ideas!!

May 19, 2015 at 8:42 pm

2. Emily M Morgan
    May 19, 2015 at 4:28 pm

It’s always good to get new ideas, and images are helpful too as they stimulate imagination. I always try to have frozen things, scrolls, sausage rolls, cake slices, quiches, etc so I can quickly pack the lunch boxes. But when inspiration hasn’t struck or the freezer’s empty, it’s good to have a few ideas up your sleeve.

May 19, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I need to get a few more things into the freezer to have a stock of things too!

3. peregrinationgourmande
    May 19, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Wow that’s very helpful! In France kids go to the school restaurant. No lunch boxes for them. But mummy eats quickly in her office! So that’s perfect for her! Thanks xx cathy

May 19, 2015 at 9:10 pm

A restaurant would be great! We have a canteen but it doesn’t sell the best food unfortunately so lunch boxes it is. I know I’d like some of these things for my lunch too! x

4. Laney@thelaneyfiles
    May 19, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for these ideas, those lunch boxes look amazing! I only have one at school at the moment and he is a terrible eater! He’d be devastated if I gave him that much food (however much he liked it) because he is so slow at eating that he’d have no time for play! But I do look forward to trying out some variations on the vegemite sandwich that he is currently eating at lunch, the poor thing. Thanks for the inspiration!

May 19, 2015 at 9:13 pm

My pleasure. I have one very slow eater too, a bit frustrating for everyone!

5. Maxabella
    May 19, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Love it madly. I’m gonna share on Facey. x

May 19, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Thanks so much Bron.x

6. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    May 19, 2015 at 8:27 pm

This is going to be really handy, I try and sit down every weekend and plan the lunch boxes for the week ahead and this will be perfect inspiration.

May 19, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I’m so glad it’s helpful Malinda x.

7. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    May 19, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Holy Shitballs hun – this is EXACTLY what I need. Thank you soooooooo much! It is brilliant!!!! I hope you dont mind but I would love to share this in this weekends weekend rewind xx

May 19, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Hmm, let me think about that..of course I would love you to share it thank you! x

May 19, 2015 at 9:51 pm

What a great idea for kids of all ages and even man babies! This is going to be a lunchtime game changer!

May 19, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Perfect for man babies! x

9. Bec @ Seeing the Lighter Side
    May 19, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Urgh, my eldest starts school next year and I am soooo not looking forward to the lunchbox battles! Thanks for linking with #TeamIBOT:-)

May 19, 2015 at 11:58 pm

It is a tad tedious I have to admit I give them a good breakfast and afternoon tea so if they don’t eat their lunch it’s kind of ok (not that I tell them that!)

10. Hugzilla
    May 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Oh god, I fail at this so hard. It would probably be easier if my 5 year old didn’t lose his lunch box every second day.

May 20, 2015 at 12:00 am

Ha, sometimes I wish the lost lunch boxes stay lost rather than be returned 2 weeks later with what has turned into a science experiment left in them.

11. Cate
    May 20, 2015 at 4:03 am

These are great! Gosh I miss Vegemite in Germany, I work from home so lunch is often something reheated, eaten at my dinner table while I watch online tv. You’re inspiring me to start packing a lunch box and take it to the park.

May 20, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I’m so happy that this has inspired you to do that – enjoy the sunshine! x

12. EssentiallyJess
    May 21, 2015 at 2:11 pm

How cool are those vegemite things! I’m going to give them a go

May 21, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I know, they have been in our lunch boxes every day this week (and loved!!).

13. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    May 22, 2015 at 8:04 am

This is BRILLIANT! i love it!

May 22, 2015 at 9:33 am

Thank you! aim to please! x

14. Dee
    May 22, 2015 at 9:23 am

my little guy also wants soup!! Im off to find a little thermos type container that isn’t to expensive and will keep it warm until lunch time. Any suggestions anyone?

May 22, 2015 at 9:34 am

I wish mine would have soup! I will ask on FB about the thermos x

15. Andrea
    May 22, 2015 at 10:10 am

This is a great list – it’s on the fridge….I will try some of these ideas- thanks Vicki -see if kids eat one or more new ideas (dream) – mine beyond fussy!
    My fav lunch box PotteryBarnkids bento boxes/bag ……

May 22, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Thank you, fingers crossed they like something from it! I’m going to check out that lunch box – I’ve been eyeing off furniture from there for the new house so know I will spending quite a bit of time in there in the near future!

16. Shannon@ mytwomorrows
    May 23, 2015 at 9:44 pm

This is gold Vicki! Thank you so much. It’s going on the fridge!
    Love the look of that Vegemite lavosh too! Xx

May 23, 2015 at 10:07 pm

You are very welcome! The Vegemite lavosh went down a treat here and also with parmesan instead of the vegemite.

17. Kirralee @ Escape With Kids
    May 24, 2015 at 4:27 pm

My lunch boxes are pretty basic – sandwich, apple, biscuit – and everyone’s pretty happy with that, but I love all these ideas and would love to try some of them out. Thank you!

May 24, 2015 at 5:07 pm

My pleasure x

18. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    May 26, 2015 at 2:56 pm

This is fantastic. Well done you. How fancy are you lunch box ideas. My son is a terrible eater so it makes me cringe what I put in his…and he still doesn’t eat it! He is stubborn my child.

May 26, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Thank you! I’ve got the ideas but not the magic to guarantee they get eaten unfortunately. Kids are so random with their tastes, mine have hated peas for the last 2 years and now I find them in the freezer eating them frozen, strange my kids!

19. Tash @ Gift Grapevine
    May 28, 2015 at 12:38 am

Thank you so much for this – I’m in desperate need of lunchbox inspiration so this is very timely! I have annoyingly fussy eaters but I’m looking forwards to trying some of these ideas out (especially the baked Lebanese bread wit butter and vegemite!).

May 28, 2015 at 10:26 am

My pleasure – we are all in it together with the lunch box grind!