Sweet Potato & Pulled Pork Shepherds Pie – repurposing leftovers

pulled-pork-shepherds-pie-web

So you know I’m big into meal planning right?  Well this little creation, pulled pork shepherds pie, came about because of it and I’m so pleased with the result.  We had friends over for an early Sunday dinner the other night (I’m quite into that at the moment, eat at 5 everyones gone by 7, happy days, early night).  I made pulled pork in the slow cooker to go in tacos with some coleslaw on the side. Yum.

pulled-pork-tacos-winter-web

I’ve been using Cooking in the Chaos’ recipe for the pulled pork as it’s so easy and tasty.  This time I made sure I got an extra large piece of pork for the sole purpose of getting another meal out of it.  I knew I needed something ready made for dinner the following night as ballet was finishing late etc etc etc.  Busy, busy, you know how it is.

Anyway, I had made a big batch of sweet potato mash earlier in the day as we made Gwyneth’s Sweet Potato & 5 Spice Muffins for the lunch boxes.  So we had leftover pulled pork, left over sweet potato mash, a crisper with some vegies lurking and some frozen peas & corn, pull it all together with very little effort and voila a really yummy, filling and so very easy Sweet Potato & Pulled Pork Shepherds Pie!  If you didn’t want to have pork 2 nights in a row you can freeze the pork for up to 3 months. Recipe below…

pulled pork Collage

Sweet Potato & Pulled Pork Shepherds Pie

Ingredients

• 500 g pulled pork (dressed in BBQ sauce)
  • 1 very large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (I used the Thermomix)
  • 1 C frozen peas & corn
  • 1 zucchini finely sliced
  • 1 broccoli chopped into small pieces
  • 3/4 C grated tasty or parmesan cheese or a combination of both

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C
  2. Combine the pork, peas, corn (still frozen is fine), broccoli & zucchini in a baking dish (if too dry add 1 - 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce)
  3. Top with the sweet potato mash and sprinkle with the cheese
  4. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until warmed through
  5. That's it! Done!

Do you have clever ways of repurposing leftovers?

13 comments on “Sweet Potato & Pulled Pork Shepherds Pie – repurposing leftovers

1. Kat - The Organised Housewife
    May 7, 2015 at 9:17 am

Oh my goodness this recipe sounds amazing! A lovely warm dish for the cooler nights. I’m looking forward to making this.:)

May 7, 2015 at 9:27 am

It’s so easy and a little bit different to the normal shepherds pie!

2. Hotly Spiced
    May 7, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I know what you mean by kids activities finishing late. We have three nights per week like that am I’m having to learn to be super organised with the menu planning so there is a meal ready on the stove as soon as we come in the door. I do love your pulled pork shepherd’s pie and that’s a good idea to cook more than you need so there’s some left over for another purpose xx

May 7, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Thanks Charlie. Sometimes the 5 minutes spent planning ahead can make the whole week run smoother, or at least reduce the number of times you hear the “What’s for dinner” question!

May 7, 2015 at 8:20 pm

I totally have to get on the pulled pork train and I love the one dinner two ways idea! So smart and so yummy! We sometimes take leftovers for lunch and other times, I just stash the leftovers in the freezer for a rainy (or sunny) day!

May 7, 2015 at 11:32 pm

Pulled pork is the business or lamb or beef – anything that you can just whack in a slow cooker and leave really!

4. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    May 9, 2015 at 8:52 am

WOW this sounds so delicious and gourmet!!! I love a good shepherds pie!

May 10, 2015 at 7:57 pm

And so easy!

5. THE HUNGRY MUM
    May 23, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I reckon the Hungry Family would be in raptures if I were to serve this up. Love jazzing up leftovers 😉

May 23, 2015 at 10:08 pm

It is such an easy dinner and tastes so good!

6. Kim @Landofzonkt
    June 23, 2015 at 8:39 pm

What a great idea!
    I love pulled pork, we usually add it to risotto the day after, this is brilliant!!!

June 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

OOh hadn’t thought about putting it in risotto that’s a good idea too. x