3 Free Family Friendly things to do in my little corner of Sydney

clovelly-heart-web

Last week I put a list together of 16 things we hope to do in Sydney these winter school holidays (one done, the rest booked in) and I promised to come back with some free ones too, so here we are! 3 free family friendly things to do in Sydney (try saying that quickly).

I’m getting all nostalgic given our impending move and have been reflecting on some of the special family times we’ve had since the girls were born, these 3 places feature highly in our little corner of Sydney.

1. The Beaches

We are most definitely beach people in both summer and winter.  How about you? Beach/country/snow or something else? We are lucky enough to live near the eastern beaches of Sydney and spend a lot of time there. (photo at the top is Clovelly which is fabulous for little kids).

In summer we are at Bronte every Sunday for Nippers.

bronte-bums

The whole family is involved, the girls are little Nippers, with their Bronte bums, GT is a life saver and I am the bag carrier (that is a rare sighting of me in a photo, with all the bags of course!), bacon & egg roll purchaser, sunscreen applier etc.

ellie-in-sand-web

The Bogey Hole at Bronte is a favourite hang out all year round.

We also discovered a new beach (well, to us, it has actually been there a very long time, obvs) this summer as, once we found out we were moving, we thought we’d best do some more exploring before we left.  Keep going all the way down Anzac Parade to the end and you will find the gorgeous Congwong Beach, surrounded by national park and pieces of history (on the other side is La Perouse and Botany Bay).  It’s a great beach for kids as it’s small, no waves (perfect for paddle boarding) and best of all….

congwong-beach-web

the ice cream boat!  How’s that for service to give you a smile!

In winter rather than swimming it’s more like walks along the beaches, collecting shells, making sandcastles, playing in the playgrounds and breathing in the fresh air. Why is that kids don’t feel the cold and want to go swimming when it’s freezing?  I don’t get it, I’m like a frog.

bondi-golden-hour

I love Bondi anytime but “golden hour” is just glorious.

Today we are doing the Bondi to Bronte walk, like I said last week, one of my favourite things to do.

2. Centennial Park

Since having kids Centennial Park has been a saviour, my mothers group would meet here for coffee, cake, catch ups and playing with the babies under the trees.  I think I pushed the pram around there pretty much every day of my maternity leave, especially the days when it seemed all too much, getting out and walking the circuit made everything seem a little easier.  As the kids grew we fed the ducks (and the eels, yuck), progressed to the playgrounds and now the bike tracks, climbing the trees and general running amok.  We’ve had countless birthday parties here, picnics, treasure hunts, the girls learnt to ride their bikes with and without training wheels, and it’s where I go for runs (sometimes) and walking with friends and their dogs – a lot of miles covered and problems solved   in that park!

tree-climbing-web

Appropriate tree climbing attire, mini skirts and fairy dresses, perhaps not, but that’s how we roll.

swan-web

I think she’s saying “Oi, what are you looking at”? and then

swans-2-web

“C’mon kids we’re outta here too much paparazzi about and not enough bread”.  As majestic as they are do you find swans a bit aggro?

park-leaves-web

The flotsam & jetsom that comes home with us and then they want to take it to bed with them too!

3. The Botanical Gardens

We don’t live far from the city so the Botanical Gardens is a perfect place to go for picnics, searching for fairies and admiring the Sydney skyline.

botanical gardens Collage

Some like to turn up in their little run abouts but we find the bus just fine.

So if you are in our little corner of the world, rug up and why not visit some of our favourites places, we’d love to know what you think.

winter-in-clovelly-web

Kidspot have the Put Yourself on the Map Challenge running at the moment so expect to see #ShareAustralia on Instagram and Facebook a lot these holidays where people like me a highlighting their little corners of the Australia.

What are your favourite things to do in your part of the world?

30 comments on “3 Free Family Friendly things to do in my little corner of Sydney

1. peregrinationgourmande
    June 30, 2015 at 4:54 am

I’m saving this on my australian travel board right away! We are also beach people but we don’t live near the sea. So sad! And we are also mountains people. For hiking. xx cathy

June 30, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Where we are moving to you can’t swim in the ocean for about 5 months of the year because of nasty box jelly fish so I’m going to find it hard to be looking at it but not going in, will have to take up hiking then!! When are you planning your trip?

2. Sally@Toddlers on Tour
    June 30, 2015 at 10:02 am

Great ideas that you could really apply to most of Australia’s major cities.

June 30, 2015 at 6:23 pm

You are right, it’s such an amazing country, not many places in the world where you can live in a major city and have all this on your doorstep.

3. Jen @ Love Wednesday
    June 30, 2015 at 11:24 am

Great photos Vicki! I would love to live near a beach so my kids can do Nippers too. We do have those same black swans in Canberra. Such good mothers they are. You are more polite than me. I think she’s saying “whatsup bitches” ha ha xoxo

June 30, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Ha ha, she probably is! x

4. Maxabella
    June 30, 2015 at 2:06 pm

The botanical gardens is pretty much my kids favourite place to go in Sydney (except across the water at Taronga Zoo!). They love climbing on the big rock thing (which I think is under reno at the moment), feeding the ducks and eels, playing tag amongst the trees, climbing the hill, sitting by the water, walking along the wall, running through the higgeldy piggeldy paths… it’s a top place to be and I love it too. x

June 30, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Aren’t we lucky to have all these wonderful places at our fingertips. We love the zoo too, the girls are keen to go and see all the baby animals these holidays. x

5. Mumma McD
    June 30, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Beautiful! How good are the ice cream boats in summer! And I love the Botty Gardens, so many different spaces to explore 🙂

June 30, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Love the ice cream boats! Santa turns up for Christmas at Bronte in an IRB and hands out ice creams to the kids so they think that is the best one ever!x

6. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    June 30, 2015 at 8:26 pm

You lost my attention there for a little while, I couldn’t stop thinking about the ice cream boat!!!! Awesome!!!!

July 1, 2015 at 11:27 am

I know, how great is an ice cream boat!!! x

7. Janet aka Middle Aged Mama
    June 30, 2015 at 8:36 pm

We live on the outskirts of Brisbane – some of our fave places to go when the kids were little, were Southbank parklands, Wellington Point beach (5 mins from our home), and getting a ferry across to Coochiemudlo Island (also just a few minutes drive to the jetty where you catch the ferry).

Visiting today from #teamIBOT x

July 1, 2015 at 11:28 am

Oh I’ve never heard of that Island sounds great. I love ferries and so do the kids! Thanks so much for stopping by. x

8. EssentiallyJess
    June 30, 2015 at 8:47 pm

The beaches are one of our only options where we live! If it’s beautiful weather we go, but otherwise we tend to just make do at home. Wet rainy weather isn’t good for much else. 🙂

July 1, 2015 at 11:30 am

We spend lots of time at home too, I think I’ve gone into over drive though given that we are moving away soon and won’t have any of it to hand (except still the beach and a big rock!).

9. Hugzilla
    June 30, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I have to admit, I LOVE the mountains but I really miss the beach. I think if we had the beach near here it would be the most perfect place on earth!

July 1, 2015 at 11:32 am

Where we are moving to will still have the beach but also a big rock so we will become mountain goats but it’s a tad hot there so I think we will be craving mountains soon enough!

10. Renee Wilson
    June 30, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Great selection there. I absolutely love Sydney beaches. My Aunt lived in Coogee for a while and we spent plenty of time in and around there. I love Bronte too 🙂

July 1, 2015 at 11:36 am

We spent the morning at Coogee yesterday. Bronte would have to be my favourite even though a bit rough but they are all fantastic. Thanks so much for stopping by. x

11. Jude Swain
    July 5, 2015 at 7:23 pm

We regularly go to Comgwong beach. Don’t walk along the path to Little Congwong or the kids will be in for a shock! Lots of naked (old) men!

July 5, 2015 at 7:54 pm

I only realised that after we had been there and was googling it – clothing optional, luckily we didn’t get an eyeful!

12. Mum Of Five Girls
    July 8, 2015 at 7:53 am

Haha I am obsessed with that icecream boat!!!!
    Great picks of things to do Vicki…..love the botanical gardens too

July 8, 2015 at 8:58 am

I know how good is an ice cream boat! Love it! Thanks Veronica x

13. Sasha @ From the Left Field
    July 8, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Oh you have so many wonderful memories to take with you when you move! I love the beach, just love being near the water, not necessarily all that sand though ha ha!! Such awesome places to visit, and I’m sure you’ll find some even more awesome places when you move too! Just think- Magnetic Island, Paluma, Crystal Creek, Castle Hill- they’ll be stacks! xx

July 8, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Thanks Sash. I am looking forward to exploring new places and making new memories too, I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane when writing this post. x

14. stephanie@stephsjoy
    July 8, 2015 at 10:55 pm

All great ideas Vicki, we really have to explore the beaches in the Eastern suburbs soon! Maybe after winter.

July 9, 2015 at 9:45 am

Thanks Steph. They really are lovely. x

15. Kristy @ Loulou Zoo
    July 13, 2015 at 10:41 pm

What beautiful photos!!! Lovely ideas x

July 13, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Thanks so much, great things to photograph!