Book Club: We read “The Girl on the Train”, we ate some yumminess!

girl-on-the-train-food-web

The last 6 weeks seem to have flown by (that’s how often we have our book club). Six weeks gives us a good chance to actually read the book, it’s not always successful, as some in the group have still never read ANY of them, but more than anything it’s chance for a girly catch up!

So, Book Club: We read “The Girl on the Train” , we ate some yumminess too, scroll down for that. Most of us did read the book this time, hooray, and it did generate a good discussion which may have had something to do with the book and may have had something to do with the wine.  Have you read it?  What did you think?

girl on the train book

* I am part of the Book Depository Affiliate program which makes no difference to you but might get me a coffee if you buy through the links here

I won’t spoil it if you haven’t read it but it’s a psychological thriller with a lot of hype around it so I had high expectations. I did get engrossed in it and it is a page turner but I can’t say I loved it and I’m not sure it met my expectations.  Others in the group really liked it though. The characters are all, for want of a better word, “assholes” (remember this isn’t a very high brow bookclub) which doesn’t mean it’s not a good book but I certainly didn’t warm to any of them.  It’s narrated by the 3 main women in the story and all of them have what we could call “issues”. Stalking, drinking, lying, cheating, accidental death, psychological abuse, depression, anger, outright bitchiness, the list goes on.  Rachel, the main character catches a train from home into London every day and has to pass her former house which backs onto the train tracks, her ex, Tom, is still living there with his new wife, Anna, that comes with it’s own set of issues.  Rachel is truly miserable so there is a feeling of sadness that pervades the book but because she is so unreliable she doesn’t really evoke much empathy. Rather than look in at her old home from the train she chooses to focus on a house a few doors down and makes up a fantasy life about the couple that live in there, Megan & Scott.  One day she sees something from the train window that throws her fantasy out the window, pun intended, and the story takes off from there.

It is written in the same way as Gone Girl with each chapter written from a different characters perspective and lots of twists, turns and red herrings along the way. While all the Gone Girl characters were also complete assholes I was really hooked in and literally couldn’t put it down, I did feel though that I needed a long shower after reading it though to wash away the awfulness! The Girl on the Train was a bit more suburban, a slower pace, especially to start off with but the drip feed of dark secrets and lies did help build up the suspense. I do recommend it as a good read I just didn’t think it was as good as all the hype.

Talking of hype, shall we have a chat about the food just in case you want some nibbles ideas?

girl-on-the-train-caroline-web

What is all that you ask?  Well cheeses, of which I think I ate most of the camembert myself.  Lemon curd from the lemons on my tree which you dollop on the almond biscuits, load up with fresh ricotta and garnish with a berry or two.  Yum. For the more health conscious amongst us, Apple & Date, Cinnamon Seed Balls (lunch box friendly as an added bonus) and of course wine because a glass or two of red, especially in winter is also good for you, right!

In case you want to read with us our next book is “Claiming Noah” by Amanda Ortlepp. Click here for the Good Reads overview.

claiming noah

Have you read “The Girl on the Train” What did you think? Are you in a book club?  Want to read with us?

32 comments on “Book Club: We read “The Girl on the Train”, we ate some yumminess!

1. Jenn
    June 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I don’t belong to a book club… but I really ought to find a local one, because I NEED to read more books!! I tried to start one a few years ago but it was too much of a mission to coordinate babies and free evenings. I haven’t read The Girl on the Train, or Gone Girl (are they a series?) so will keep an eye out for GG… I really need a cracker of a book to bring me out of my reading hiatus!

Popping over via #IBOT … Happy Tuesday!

June 16, 2015 at 2:01 pm

It is hard to co-ordinate isn’t it. I may not read GG as your first book out of your hiatus – it might send you straight back in again! They aren’t a series they are by different authors just written in a very similar way, suburban psycho thrillers! Thanks so much for popping over.

2. Kelly
    June 16, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I love the idea of a Book Club, especially with wine and yummy food! I read a lot, so I probably should start a club :). I haven’t read that book or Gone Girl, but will write these down on my list. Thanks for that 🙂

June 17, 2015 at 9:13 am

My pleasure. The reason we started one was just to make sure that we had a regular catch up and forced us t start reading again- although some still haven’t but come anyway!

3. Deborah
    June 16, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I didn’t love Girl on the Train as much as everyone else. I enjoyed it and can see why others liked it but I think other authors have done the genre better.

I do book reviews so read 3-4 books a week. I reviewed Claiming Noah a while ago.

Deb

June 17, 2015 at 9:15 am

Will have to check out your claiming Noah review – am just about to get started on it.

4. Pinky Poinker
    June 16, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I have read it and really liked it. I guessed the twist at the end but that didn’t matter and I felt sorry for Rachel although I know some people found her unlikeable. I read another book called The Pocket Wife which is very similar straight afterwards. Thanks for reminding me I want to read Claiming Noah too. I should be in your book club 🙂

June 17, 2015 at 9:17 am

Well Pinky – we might just have to form a North Queensland one!

5. Janet aka Middle Aged Mama
    June 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I haven’t read it; but I’m like you, if I don’t like/feel for the characters I don’t keep reading. Mmmm cheese … and strawberries …

Visiting from #teamIBOT x

June 17, 2015 at 9:18 am

I used to think I had to finish every book I started but now there ain’t no time for that is there!

6. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    June 16, 2015 at 8:06 pm

I am so glad to find someone that feels the same as me about this book – yes it was a page turner, but I didn’t love it. Strange combinations that left me really confused at the end of it.

June 17, 2015 at 9:18 am

Yes I felt the same way at the end, strange is right!

7. Hugzilla
    June 16, 2015 at 9:05 pm

In my fantasy life, I have a really kick-ass book club. In my real life, I’m a loser and don’t have one…

June 17, 2015 at 9:20 am

You can have a virtual one or make one! Don’t worry soon when we move and I know no one I won’t have one either, I’m not sure my opening line when trying to make new friends will be “do you want to be in my bookclub” but you never know!

8. EssentiallyJess
    June 16, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I’ve been wanting to read this one. It’s on my list. I just need to finish the series I’ve been reading so I can move on. Though I’m not sure I’ll be able to move on too quickly.

June 17, 2015 at 9:22 am

Ooh what series are you reading?

9. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    June 18, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I’d find it hard to finish a book I really wasn’t enjoying especially if everyone was horrible. I’m not in a book club and maybe that’s why!! I loved the sound of your biscuits with ricotta and berries – perfect with a glass of wine.

June 18, 2015 at 11:05 pm

I used to think that I had to always finish a book but now if I’m really not enjoying it I don’t, who has time for that! I’m glad I finished this one but don’t need to read it again. The biscuits, curd and berries goes perfectly with wine!

10. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    June 19, 2015 at 7:01 am

Excellent I was looking for a new book to read, and this one sounds interesting. I do like a read that is a little challenging, and your nibbles look delicious!

June 19, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Nicole. I think the next one is supposed to food for thought too!

11. Lisa
    June 21, 2015 at 5:10 pm

I haven’t read either of those books but must add them to the list. Our book club meets once a month and we are a tad serious about it. Almost a year later and we are still yet to agree on a book we all like!
    (There are 12 of us)

June 21, 2015 at 8:33 pm

We probably aren’t serious enough but at least it’s got us out of the baby zone and back into books. We haven’t all agreed on one yet either!

12. Kate
    June 21, 2015 at 7:50 pm

No, I’m not in a group but have discovered author talks at the library bring out the wine and cheese board so I’ve RSVP’d to all of them! Love books and cheese too. Keep picking up this book then putting it down. Never sure whether to bother as I’ve read and enjoyed ‘Gone Girl’. Maybe I will.

June 21, 2015 at 8:34 pm

That’s a pretty good library, no one being shushed there then! Author talks would be great.

13. Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    June 21, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I’m in the market for a book to read, I loved Gone Girl, hated the ending though. Being a boring journo I usually prefer non-fiction BUT if it’s a ‘can’t put down’ then I’ll read it. I’m drooling over those nibbles, could that be Stilton I spy, get in ma belly!

June 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I think I personally ate all the cheese on the plate!

14. Sally
    June 22, 2015 at 1:59 pm

This is the next book on my to read list. I am only more intrigued to read it after the mixed reviews here so that I can form an opinion for myself. I am still confused about whether I liked Gone Girl or not, but I can say it was very clever for making me super interested whilst hating the characters.

June 22, 2015 at 2:41 pm

It’s definitely a talking point that’s for sure!

15. Alyson
    July 7, 2015 at 4:56 pm

i so much more prefer a non high brow book club and it always cracks me up that there is always someone who never reads the books! Just goes to show how important it is to have that group down time 🙂 x

July 7, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Ha, that’s exactly what ours is all about.

16. I haven’t read this one but it sounds intriguing. Although I have to admit, I really struggle with books where all of the characters are assholes. It’s the reason why I just couldn’t finish reading The Slap, I just hated them all so much that I just couldn’t get invested enough to care, no matter how good the writing was. I will definitely have to download a sample chapter of this though and see how it goes.

July 13, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Oh, The Slap I persevered but it was an uncomfortable read, felt dirty! A sample chapter is a good idea – I should do that more often!