Lunch box friendly Date, Apple & Cinnamon Seed Balls

apple-cinnamon-balls-web

We love a good bliss ball around here (well 3 out of 4 do so that’s what we go with these days) and I wanted to try something a bit different to our normal & much loved choc flavoured ones. Enter these Date, Apple & Cinnamon Seed Balls that are nut free so that they can be taken to school, also dairy free, egg free, actually vegan if I think about it and healthy too!

I took them to Book Club the other night for the grown up taste testers and so we could kid ourselves that we were being healthy while drinking the wine (and eating chocolate).  They were approved. Yay!

Store them in the fridge for up to a week or freezer for up to 3 months.  Also I prefer to get my dried fruit from a health food or organic shop when I can as the supermarket ones all seem to have sulphites added but obviously whatever is easiest and your personal preference of course.

Lunch box friendly Date, Apple & Cinnamon Seed Balls

Makes 18 - 12 bite sized balls

Ingredients

• 7 - 8 pitted dates (110g)
  • 1 C (90g) dried apples (try to get the sulphite free ones and the chewy kind)
  • 1/2 C (50g) rolled oats
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp (15g) sunflower seeds
  • 2 Tbsp (20g) white chia seeds

Instructions

1. Put all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blitz until a thick paste has formed. If using a Thermomix Speed 9 / 45 seconds
  2. Scoop out bite sizes spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls.
  3. You can eat them immediately but I think they taste a bit better if you put them in the fridge for a bit to chill.
  4. Can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months.

If you like bliss / energy balls you may also want to check out my Raw Cacao, Date & Nut Bliss Balls,  Lemon & Coconut Balls or my “Oh She Glows” Balls because you know, everyone wants glowing skin, right?!

Do you have a favourite type of “bliss” ball?

13 comments on “Lunch box friendly Date, Apple & Cinnamon Seed Balls

1. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    June 17, 2015 at 8:39 am

Brilliant!!! I actually have all of those ingredients at home right now. I’m definitely going to make these – what a great little afternoon energy booster! xx

June 18, 2015 at 10:08 am

I hope you liked them, something a bit different to the choc ones just for a change!

2. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    June 19, 2015 at 10:56 am

Hi Vicki, I made these yesterday and they were absolutely delicious! Thanks for the yummy recipe! Thanks for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party! xx

June 19, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Oh yay! I’m so pleased you liked them. x

3. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    June 19, 2015 at 1:42 pm

This is great – my girls will love these in their lunchboxes! #FFF

June 19, 2015 at 4:50 pm

It’s a handy recipe to have in your box of tricks!

4. Rachael
    June 21, 2015 at 9:03 am

I love a healthy recipe…. Would this work with a hand blender? Must get my boys on to eating these too. Gorgeous blog, like that you do a weekly link up meal too!

June 21, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Hi, it should work in a hand blender as there are no nuts everything should chop up really well. Thanks so much for stopping by. x

5. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    June 24, 2015 at 10:00 am

We love bliss balls in our house too – often my husband comments that the ‘rum balls’ taste a little different to normal. He still likes them so I’m not complaining! A great recipe and I’m going to pin this to make with the boys very soon.

June 24, 2015 at 8:58 pm

ha ha, I gave some bliss balls to friends at Christmas time once and the looked so disappointed when he realised they weren’t rum balls! I hope your boys like them.

6. Kristy @ Loulou Zoo
    June 26, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Yes I’m a big fan of bliss balls – and like you I always make choc flavoured ones! So some ideas to step out of my bliss ball comfort zone he he x

June 26, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Ha, yes it’s good to mix it up a bit isn’t it. I must make some more this weekend. x