Mandarins are in season so that means….Mojitos, what?!

mandarin-mojitos-web

Are you mad about marvellous mandarins?  Well personally I don’t like them much but my girls do and when my Mum gave us some with the challenge of “see what you can create with these” and a gorgeous girlfriend who had taken her family mandarin picking (here, I think we might go too) also brought us some we had an abundance.  What does one do when they have an abundance of mandarins?  Make mandarin mojitos of course!  I’ll have them like that and the girls liked the cordial that came before the alcohol was added.

If mojito’s aren’t your thing I’ve put some links to other ways with mandarins too or you could just eat them as is!

Mojitos sprung to mind because in the house packing I came across a whole cupboard full of every different type of rum from just about every country in the world that makes it, I kid you not!  As we are moving to the land of Queensland Fighting Juice I’m kind of loathe to take this much with us.

rum-web

the circle of rum! I like the name of the “Flamboyant” one but given the amount of dust on it, it can’t be that good!

Other than mojitos which I LOVE I don’t much like rum and it doesn’t like me much either.  I’m under strict instructions not to throw it out though and as I can’t use my usual line of “it’s gone off” and toss it I have to think of some creative ways to use it.  Got any ideas?

I may have mentioned I want to go with a “British Colonial” theme in our new tropical North Queensland house, (yah as you do)! So I’m happy to keep some of the rum and display it on something like this.  You like?

bamboo_wine_bar_natural_2image source  That was a dangerous rabbit hole to fall down, I just lost an hour on Pinterest!

but the rest needs to go before September so back to the mojitos.

mandarin-rum-web

Mandarins Mojitos - Thermomix & Blender versions

Ingredients

• 1/4 C (35 g) raw caster sugar
  • 1/2 C water
  • 8 - 10 mandarins, peeled
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 C or big handful of mint leaves
  • 1 1/2 C sparkling mineral water or soda water
  • 1/2 - 1 C rum (depending on how strong you like it)
  • ice

Instructions

1. Put the sugar and water in a saucepan or Thermomix and bring to the boil (100 degrees / speed 1 / 4 minutes), set aside to cool
  2. Put the mandarins in a blender or Thermomix and blitz to form a juice (speed 9 / 10 seconds), strain into a jug, there is quite a lot of pith so may need some help to get through
  3. Add the lime juice and sugar syrup - at this stage you could just add water and have a mandarin cordial (my girls loved it!)
  4. Put some mint leaves in the bottom of some glasses and pour over about a 1/4 C of the juice & syrup in each glass muddle them together, add some rum add top with sparkling or soda water, ice and some mandarin segments

Now as this post was actually supposed to be about mandarins and ways to use them here are some other ways that I’ve found around the traps.

Mandarin Curd – I’m definitely going to be making this

Mandarin Jam – was this guy on Masterchef?

Mandarin Syrup Cake

Mandarin & Strawberry Crumbles

Almond Mandarin Salad

Do you like mandarins?  Mojitos?  Got any good ways to use mandarins to share?

17 comments on “Mandarins are in season so that means….Mojitos, what?!

June 25, 2015 at 7:56 am

Yum! Yes please! Yes, Billy Law was on Masterchef, he’s a food and travel writer now and he has a very cute dog (I only know because I follow him on Instagram.) I see a mandarin cake in my future, but not until I’ve had a couple of your mojitos! Don’t “misplace” the rum whatever you do, because if you do, you won’t be able to have that dreamy drinks trolley! x

June 25, 2015 at 9:21 am

I’m going to give the mandarin cake a try today I think. The mojito syrup is chillin’! x

2. Shannon @ Oh Creative Day
    June 25, 2015 at 1:37 pm

You’re the best! Our neighbour used to be a mandarin farmer in Cyprus and he has the most amazing tree in his front yard. Every time I leave the house though he pushes a bag of mandarins into my hands. It’s so lovely but there are only so many mandarins one family can consume!! But now I have an excuse to hang out on my driveway and hope that he continues to push bags of mandies at me!

June 25, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Ha, that’s great mojitos galore then! x

3. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    June 25, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Oh Mojitos are my thing.. they are SO my thing 😉 xx

June 25, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Drink up lovely lady drink up I want to hear the karaoke!

4. Mel B
    June 25, 2015 at 11:05 pm

I adore mandarins! But starting to find only dodgy ones lately 🙁
    Mojito and mandarins is a combination I need to be making ! Yum!!!

5. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    June 26, 2015 at 9:13 am

It’s been the hugest week… I am so totally ready for a mojito… can you come and make me one????

June 26, 2015 at 9:42 am

Would love to! x

6. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    June 26, 2015 at 7:42 pm

I love mojitos but not rum so I always ask for a vodka mojito. I need to make the lychee mojito you told me about still. I didn’t realise you were moving to NQLD – I thought you were moving locally. NQLD is so beautiful.

June 26, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I found a truck load of vodka in that cupboard too so might need to come up with another cocktail soon, that lychee one would be perfect for you now it’s warm. Yes, NQLD, big changes ahead and I’m such a city slicker that it will be interesting but as they say Queensland beautiful one day, perfect the next!. x

7. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    June 29, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I love mojitos but never thought to use mandarins in them. My Great Aunt loads us up with madarines from her farm and I cannot use them quick enough.

June 30, 2015 at 12:18 am

Now you know! The cordial (or just as juice) for the kids is lovely too as a treat.

8. Cyndie
    July 7, 2015 at 9:20 am

Hello! I found you through the ProBlogger conference FB page. I’m also a food blogger so we commented on the same post!
    I used to always buy mandarins that were dry and juiceless until someone in the shop one day said i should always pick the ‘heaviest’ ones cause they are juicier! And it’s true! That tip changed my life, haha 🙂

July 7, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Hi, thanks so much for stopping by am popping over to you now.