Sydney: Winter School Holidays 16 Things to do

sydney heart

In September we make the big move from Sydney to Townsville which will become home for the next 3 years!   These school holidays will be the last ones we will have as Sydneysiders for a while so we are having a “staycation” and visiting some new and some of our favourite places (some my call it procrastination on the house packing front!).  If you are looking for some winter school holiday ideas here is a list I’ve put together of 16 things we are hoping to do (only problem is we might need a bit longer than 2 weeks!);

Here you go. Sydney: Winter School Holidays

1. Some days even I like a day off from the kitchen (true story) so I’ve already booked the girls and some of their friends into a bread making workshop at Brasserie Bread, they can make their own lunch and I can have a coffee and a chat while they are doing it.  This Croque Monsieur has my name on it!

dish_croque
Image from Brasserie Bread

2. To exercise off the bread we might do the Bondi to Bronte Walk (one of my favourite things to do in Sydney, although I do expect some “are we there yet” discussion to happen about half way through).

bronte-sunrise-web

I can’t even remember why I was up so early to get this shot (am not a morning person) but I’m glad I did.

3. Still on the exercise front we might take the bikes to Sydney Park Bike Track & playground, usually the bikes get ditched and rolling down the big hill takes over.

sydney park bike trackImage source

and after all that we will have built up an appetite to go to another one of my favourite places 4. The Grounds of Alexandria and have a chat with Kevin Bacon the pet pig, they often have holiday programs on there too.  Can you see a pattern emerging here, activity, food, exercise, food….

grounds CollageHow about these for fancy boiled eggs & soldiers, and this is Kevin when he was just a wee piglet!

So moving into the city now where there are a million things to do, close to us is the 5. Australian Museum, we had a chat with the dinosaurs there the other day.

dinosaur-web

but these holidays we are thinking that, as a special treat, we might have 6. a night in a hotel, this one looks fantastic for kids, their very own special room and one for me too – happy, happy days!

Miss E really wants to go to the 7. Museum of Contemporary Art, she was quite taken by it when we were in town for Vivid so I promised her we’d go in the holidays and they both also want to go to the 8. Sea Life Aquarium to see if they can find mermaids. I want to take them to 9. Chinatown, maybe we’ll have dinner there, or yum cha or dumplings. Chances are they won’t eat anything but they learn Mandarin at school and this is as close as they are going to be getting to China for a while.

Sydney-China-Town-11 image source

There are some great 10.  “winter wonderland” festivals on these holidays I can’t decide yet which one to go to but we will definitely be ice skating somewhere, in the past we have done it at Bondi  (clearly they dressed themselves that day)

iceskating-web

but St Mary’s Cathedral looks fabulous as does Darling Harbour.  Have you been? Are you going? Which one? It’s certainly cold enough to think that we are in the snow anyway!

We will also head to the northside to visit friends and wander around 11. Middle Head, a trip to the 12.  zoo or afternoon tea at 13.  Burnt Orange is always nice.  I love the meerkats, they crack me up but the elephants are my favourites always.  What’s yours?

meerkat-web

What you looking at?

Heading up the peninsula if we don’t make it to the Aquarium in the city we might go to the 14.  Manly Sea Life Sanctuary instead and see if we can see the penguins.  Did you know, to be more PC, their name was changed from Fairy Penguins to Little Penguins (!), can’t even comment on the ridiculousness of that. Keeping on going north we love having a play at 15. Flying Fox Playground and I keep wanting to go to a shop at Collaroy that I know will have loads of things I will lust after for our new house.

So that all sounds a bit jam packed but I do think it’s also really important in holidays to have some down time, you know the 16. pajama days, sloth around the house just hanging out, DVDs, baking, games (decluttering and packing up!) and of course the playdates. Do you love or loathe them? I love them as the girls are occupied, there are no screens on and they make their own fun with very little input from me.  Good fun all round.

As we will broke after all these activities and eating how about next week I come back with some fun and free things to do as well?

What have you got planned for the holidays?

21 comments on “Sydney: Winter School Holidays 16 Things to do

1. stephanie@stephsjoy
    June 23, 2015 at 8:58 am

What a great list of ideas, I love the idea of the bread making class! Sounds like the girls will be in for a great time! x

June 23, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Thanks Steph. I hope so! x

2. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    June 23, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Great list!! Makes me want to live in Sydney! Mmm that Croque Monsieur would be soooo worth the walk!

June 23, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Lucy. I will definitely miss Sydney while we are away!

3. Renee Wilson
    June 23, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Wow! What a list!! The kids are going to have an awesome time. I love that Bondi to Bronte walk. I’ve only done it once, but would love to do it again. Have a great holiday! #teamIBOT

June 23, 2015 at 9:47 pm

The Bondi Bronte walk is one of my favourite things to do, it’s a beautiful way to start the day.

4. Jodi Gibson (JF Gibson Writer)
    June 23, 2015 at 9:09 pm

What a great list of things to do. We went to Sydney for a short four-day holiday in 2013 and had a lovely time. Would love to spend a little more time there one day and do some of these things.
    Good luck with your BIG move!

June 23, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Thank you Jodi – it’s quite daunting but new adventures ahead!

5. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    June 23, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I love your list! My boys haven’t been to Sydney yet and reading this I want to take them now! What a big move you guys are doing, enjoy your last holidays in Sydney for awhile and good luck xx

June 23, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Thank you Lauren, it is a big move and a little bit daunting to say the least! We will be making the most of Sydney between now and then!

6. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    June 24, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I took my kids to Sydney a few years back for a holiday, we had so much fun at the zoo, on the ferries and at Luna Park. Many special memories. xx

June 24, 2015 at 8:59 pm

I’ve yet to brave Luna Park with mine – might need to add that to the list! x

7. Laney@thelaneyfiles
    June 24, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for all these ideas! I live in Sydney and have only done a handful of these things! And not even with the kids!! Must get to that Flying Fox playground, I’ve heard good things. Also the Grounds of Alexandria one! I will definitely do these two in the hols. Thanks! And best of luck with the move x

June 24, 2015 at 9:02 pm

The Flying Fox playground is fun for the kids, it’s fenced in and there’s a cafe! I just love The Grounds, despite the parking nightmare! Hope you have fun in the hols. x

8. peregrinationgourmande
    June 24, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I’m saving your list for my soon trip to Australia! Wow Townsville! Amazing! You make me dream… xx cathy

9. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    June 26, 2015 at 9:56 pm

We must get together at the Grounds before you leave hun. We will grab Bron and lunch like leisurely ladies. You in? xx

June 26, 2015 at 10:16 pm

YES! x

10. Shannon@ mytwomorrows
    June 26, 2015 at 11:08 pm

What an awesome list Vicki! You’ve covered so many awesome corners of Sydney. Burnt orange is one of my faves and we often go to flying fox. Lovely spit for a picnic by the water there too! We’re taking the kids ice skating tomorrow for the first time, can’t wait! Sounds like you will be busy in the lead up to the big move! Enjoy lovely! Xx

June 26, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Thanks Shannon. Oh yes the spit, we always have an annual family reunion/catch up at Clontarf each summer as well, love it. Have fun ice skating, look forward to seeing pics! x

11. Maddie
    September 24, 2016 at 9:38 am

Hi Vicki,

I’ve always wanted to visit Sydney when do you propose would be a great time to come?
    I’m currently looking flights on Etihad Airways since I will be coming from Japan.
    Please let me know what your thoughts on this

September 24, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Sydney anytime is wonderful but summer in the city is often the best.