Weekend Rewind – Sass with a side of Swagger and other stuff

eggs_soldiers

Hi, welcome!  It’s Friday and the start of school holidays which makes it FriYAY, right!  I’m so delighted to be guest-hosting Weekend Rewind this week with the lovely Bron of Maxabella Loves, Sonia from Life Love & Hiccups and Kelly from A Life Less Frantic.  Thank you for having me.

It’s only proper to offer your guests a drink on arrival isn’t it?  This week I’ve been playing around with the abundance of mandarins we’ve got and have made some Mandarin Mojitos, would you like one?

mandarin-mojitos-web

and because I’m into the responsible service of alcohol would you like some nibbles with that?

corn-fritters-2-web

click here for the recipe if you like for corn fritters with avocado smash and prosciutto

Normally from Sunday night to Friday lunchtimes I’m all about “Recipes for Life” which is the tagline I’ve chosen for the blog.  This is usually; achievable meals, lunch box ideas, tea & cakes, lots of cakes and a bit of chat with a side of healthy eating. I like to be helpful and useful you see!

A few weeks, ago as a gift, I gave out a printable sheet with over 100 lunch box ideas.  I’ve got a few left lying around so thought you might like one if you missed it before, you could stick it up on the fridge if you need some inspiration (how good is it though that we have 2 weeks off!).

BE&S-Lunch-box-printable-1-copy-1

Click to download the printable version

But come Friday lunchtime it’s tools down and it becomes more like the random musings of the suburban mind.

This week my mind has wandered into what, I guess, can be described as “North American pop culture”, the influence it has on our society and why and it appears to be living in my lounge room in the shape of Miss PreTween who could also be know as “Sass”.  We are getting a bit of this;

cinderella whatever

image source

and the ever charming sass finger…

sass finger

image source

Sass has her trusty little side kick “Swagger”

swagger_kitty

image source

and together they may be small but they be loud!  Luckily most of the time they are very sweet and great fun too.

So my weekend musings….Sass and Swagger two words, that, these days, are commonly put together apparently but until now have not been regularly used in my vocabulary.  According to the Oxford Dictionaries sass is traditionally defined as:

verb

• Be cheeky or rude to (someone):
    we wouldn’t have dreamed of sassing our parents
    ‘And don’t you start sassing your mother, either,’ her father added.

and swagger is:

verb

• Walk or behave in a very confident and arrogant or self-important way:
    he swaggered along the corridor

I think the exposure our children are getting to North American tween/teen TV shows is really impacting behaviour. What’s your view? The programmes I’ve seen on paid TV for primary school aged children seem to be portraying what would normally be considered outright rude behaviour into something that is hip & happening (have I just shown my age there!?) and an acceptable way to behave. Stop! I don’t like it.

We’ve actually decided to limit the girls TV/screen watching to DVDs or weekends and holidays and have put parental locks on the TV so that anything above G rated they have to check with us first (they are only 8 and 6).  I have noticed a definite change in behaviour since doing this, much less old school sass and swagger and more their natural spunk, spark and sweetness – new sass and swagger, if you like.

So now, if you go to an Online Slang Dictionary you find that the definition has changed, just a little bit, sass is defined as:

noun

• totally retro diva, really sassy all the time, posh, choleric power princess.
    Monica is such a sass!

and swagger:

noun

• a person’s style, attitude, general demeanor.
    Demarcus’ swagger is strong – he always has on something nice.

Do you know a Monica or Demarcus (Demarcus is a new name to me)?

I think this little girl has got both of the new meanings of sass & swagger in spades. Go Johanna! R-E-S-P-E-C-T (the girl to the left doesn’t know what to make of her!).

Video source

I have to admit to being a bit confused though (not an unusual state really), and there is a fine line, I think, between the old and new meanings of sass and swagger.

Are you getting any sass or swagger at home?  What do you think about it?

Anyway, by Sunday nights the time for random musings slides away and I go back to my normal programming. What’s on for the week ahead and the dreaded question…What’s for dinner?! I co-host with Kim from the Land of Zonkt, Your Weekly Feed a meal link up for quick, easy, every day type meals (yes a gratuitous plug there!).  If you are a blogger we’d love to see any of your meal ideas linked up, if you are a reader why not stop by for some dinner inspiration? The party starts on Sunday nights.

YWF-Logo(Twitter-NOBorder)

And now, because it’s Friday and we have the whole weekend (and school holidays ahead of us) why don’t you sit back and relax and have a read through all the fabulous posts linked up to Weekend Rewind.  That’s what I’ll be doing.

IMG_7668

These were rather lovely G&T’s I made by infusing Buddah’s Hand (huh? I wrote about them here)

Again, a very big thanks to Maxabella Loves, Life Love & Hiccups and A Life Less Frantic for having me guest-host their party.  Cheers and a very happy weekend to you all. x

36 comments on “Weekend Rewind – Sass with a side of Swagger and other stuff

1. Lauren @ Life at Number Five
    June 26, 2015 at 8:15 pm

You make a great host Vicki!! Those mandarin mojitos look amazing, I’m totally wishing I could have one right now!
    I definitely think the influence of American shows is changing kids behaviour, attitude and language. My 14 year old niece does and says things that would have never been acceptable when I was her age, which was only 13 years ago! It’ll be interesting to see how much things change by the time my own baby girl is that age 14 years from now.

June 26, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Thanks so much Lauren. I made my girls a rum free version too! It will be interesting to see if the pendulum starts to swing the other way.

2. Ellen @ Potential Psychology Blog
    June 26, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Hey Vicki! So cool to see you co-hosting tonight 🙂 Those mojitos and nibbles look mighty good. Do you want to bring some around here? I think it’s only about 1000kms 😉
    I can see some sass sneaking into Mr almost 7’s chatter and natter. Sass of the original definition. I don’t understand that second definition at all! I’m keeping a watchful eye that it doesn’t overstep the mark. Parenting is tiring isn’t it?

Enjoy the school hols. I’m heading up your way for a few days catching up with Sydney friends and I cannot wait! x

June 26, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Thanks so much Ellen. I know what does that definition even mean, it make me feel old! Sydney how exciting I hope you have a fantastic holiday x

3. Kim @Landofzonkt
    June 26, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Oh hand me a Mojito gorgeous! It’s been a roller coaster month… I think I’ve earned one! xx

June 26, 2015 at 9:57 pm

You sure have my friend, cheers!

4. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    June 26, 2015 at 9:11 pm

See, this is the kind of stuff that freaked me out when I found out I was having a little girl! Sass! I do kinda like it though but best when it is not directed at me. Congratulations on hosting the Weekend Rewind! Have an awesome weekend to kick off the school holidays.

June 26, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Thanks so much lovely. I love a bit of spark in a kid just not attitude because I don’t know what to do with that! hope you have a great weekend too. x

5. Mumma McD
    June 26, 2015 at 9:32 pm

OMG those mojitos!! AHHH!

And I’m all for the retro, non-American-gangster versions of sass and swagger thanks (and like to think I have a bit of both; )

June 26, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I like a bit (lot) of spark I just don’t know how to handle the attitude, probably with mojitos!

6. stephanie@stephsjoy
    June 26, 2015 at 9:43 pm

It is amazing how much tv can impact children’s behaviour, we certainly have some sass in our 5 year old from too much screen time. Glad to hear that you have curbed it in your girls! Have a great weekend! x

June 26, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Thanks so much Steph. It’s such a different generation isn’t it. x

7. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    June 26, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I have never EVER heard of Demarcus before but that little gal – damn she made me smile. Thanks so much for joining us this week lovely – it has been an absolute pleasure having you play hostie with us xx

June 26, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Isn’t she fabulous! x

8. Sasha @ From the Left Field
    June 26, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Oh I am well acquainted with Sass and Swagger! We happen to have a couple of those dear things in our house too. Though at ages 5 and 3 so I’m scared of future S&S adventures. Good point about the TV though- you know I find that the girls more often pick stuff up from friends though. That’s what kills me. We can limit what they watch here, and talk to them until we’re blue in the face, but the second they see or hear a friend do something then it’s on like Donkey Kong. Gah! Save me a mandarin mojito and I’ll be slurping one down in the next 10 weeks!!!! Great post lady. x

June 26, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Thanks so much Sasha. I know and once they are at school as well with bigger kids around as well what can you do!!!! Mojitos! x

9. Jen @ Love Wednesday
    June 27, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Firstly, sorry for eating all the gaucamole! Delish! You are a fab host 🙂 Then. JOHANNA!! I felt for the other darlings on stage for getting out danced and out popped but by the end I felt sorry for every other woman in the world because this girl puts us all to shame! What a doll! Thanks for the great links x

June 27, 2015 at 10:12 pm

If you didn’t eat I would have so it’s my pleasure! Johanna is fantastic isn’t she. x

10. Lauren @ The Thud
    June 27, 2015 at 1:07 pm

OMG don’t tease me with those Mandarin mojitos. And those corn fritters look amazing. I need to come to your house for drinks one night!
    I don’t get much sass and swagger, I just get straight up two-year-old defiance. Fun for everyone! But really interesting that you’ve seen an improvement since limiting their TV. I think that’s a great idea.
    But god I love that little Johanna. What a doll!

June 27, 2015 at 10:13 pm

You are welcome anytime lovely. Isn’t Johanna fantastic!

11. Robyna | the Mummy & the Minx
    June 27, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Oh those mojitos look like the best way to combat the sass sure to be coming my way this school holidays.

June 27, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Mojitos all the way!

12. Laney@thelaneyfiles
    June 27, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I would love one of those mandarin mojitos, they look amazing! My six year old is the only exposed to PG American cartoons at the moment and I must say, I hate them! They look and sound inoffensive enough but they make me miss the innocence of ABC4KIDS! Bring back Thomas the Tank Engine I say!

June 27, 2015 at 10:21 pm

The mojitos were fun to make and tasted great I still have a pile of mandarins though – will have to make cake! Love Thomas the Tank!

13. Bele @ BlahBlah
    June 27, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Wow! Those mandarin mojitos look amazing and I simply adore that cat pic. You made me laugh, because the word swagger always makes me think of Jagger and his moves.

June 27, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I love the cat pic too. Yes swagger jagger is apparently a thing too!

14. Sarah @Tomfo
    June 28, 2015 at 9:25 am

Mandarin mojitos….yum, I’ll be trying that one for sure, Is it 5’oclock yet?
    Kids lunch box ideas, I’m so in need of some inspiration, thank you.
    Lovely to see you hosting with the Weekend Rewind, have an awesome day. x

June 28, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Thank you so much. You too! x

June 28, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Congratulations on hosting and what a fine job you’re doing of it too, with the Mandarin Mojitos and those delicious nibbles! And that Johanna, she can certainly bust some moves! Hope your holidays are full of happy!

June 28, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Thank you lovely lady. x

16. Lisa@RandomActsOfZen
    June 28, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Johanna cracks me up every time I see this! That is some serious sass and swagger right there.
    You definitely know how to host a good school holiday celebration, Vicki 🙂

June 28, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Isn’t she fabulous, I love her kind of sass and swagger! Thanks so much for stopping by.

17. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    June 29, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Yum! Those fritters with the avo and prosciutto… yes please! Off to check out the recipe now. Yum!

June 30, 2015 at 12:19 am

They are great as canapes or made bigger for a meal, an oldie but a goodie!

18. Jo @ You had us at hello
    June 30, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Mandarin mojitos!! Stoppit!!!! You are the hostess with the mostess!!! You had me at fritters!!
    I’m so with you on that tween attitude you see on American TV. I can’t stand it! My parents were dead against that attitude. Home & Away had kids talking back to parents, never had that show on again. Even Young Talent Time they thought made kids precocious! That was so mild to all the tween shows now. Glad you’re on top of it Vicki!!
    Congrats on the hosting!! xx

June 30, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Thanks lovely, I’m not sure I’d say on top of it just cutting out the influences I can control, was stillgetting full attitude this morning! My Dad hated us watching H&M, bizarrely when I was home on mat leave the first time I was addicted to it, thank god that phase passed! x