Donna Hay’s Apple, Date & Tea Loaf Thermomixed

date,-apple-tea-cake-web

We are back on with lunch boxes in these parts again (for another 10 weeks!) so baking has been on my list of things to do this week, how about you?  I saw that Donna Hay had a very yummy Date & Tea Loaf in one of the Sunday paper magazines a few weeks ago and thought I’d give Thermomixing it a go.  It’s a delicious cake so if you want the original recipe it can be found here as I’d hate for anyone to miss out on it!

Time Saving Tip: Cut up a few slices, wrap in cling film so they are air tight and then freeze for up to 3 months and you can pull out a piece for those days when you’ve got nothing for recess in the lunch box.

So for the Thermomixers out there here you go, Donna Hay’s Apple, Date & Tea Loaf Thermomixed

Donna Hay’s Apple Date & Tea Loaf Thermomixed

Ingredients

• 2 medium Granny Smith (green) apples, peeled
  • 450 g medjool dates
  • 1 tsp bicarb soda
  • 3/4 C hot brewed English Breakfast Tea
  • 150 g unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 185 g SR flour
  • 90 g brown sugar

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a 10 C capacity loaf tin (10cm x 21cm)
  2. Put 1 1/2 C of the dates in a bowl with the bicarb soda and tea and set aside for 10 - 15 minutes to soften
  3. Grate the apples in the TM speed 4 / 7 seconds, set aside
  4. Melt the butter 60 C / speed 4 / 3 minutes, set aside
  5. Put the dates and tea in the TM and blitz, speed 5 / 10 seconds. Add the remainder of the dates, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, apple, flour and sugar in the bowl and combine Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
  6. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 55 - 60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
  7. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire cooling rack to cool.
  8. Serve with butter (Donna Hay also puts a sprinkle of icing sugar on top of hers).

The hungry hoards enjoyed it after school with lashing of butter of course!

kids-and-cake-web

What’s your favourite cake of the moment?

7 comments on “Donna Hay’s Apple, Date & Tea Loaf Thermomixed

1. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    July 16, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Ooh yum, a slice of this covered with butter would be delicious! We’ve got an oversupply of oranges in our house at the moment so my favourite cakes to make are anything that contains oranges! Thanks for linking with us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays, have a great weekend x

July 16, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Butter makes everything that much better doesn’t it! One of my favourite cakes is an Orange & Olive oil cake – it’s the business.

July 16, 2015 at 11:22 pm

I’ve got a similar recipe that my mum’s elderly neighbour gave her, it’s totes delish, especially when slathered in butter! I’ve had a kitchen sabbatical since I’ve been on holidays. Mum is the Queen of her kitchen. I’m already thinking what will be the first cake I make when I get home!

July 17, 2015 at 9:21 am

It’s wet and cold here today so this cake is perfect for days like this. I’d be enjoying that kitchen sabbatical but am keen to see what the first cake off the ranks is! x

3. stephanie@stephsjoy
    July 17, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Oh yum! Apple and dates go so well together! I’ve been making apple and date teacake, will have to try this out.

July 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Yum, yours sounds lovely – please share the recipe! x

4. Louise from Delishogram
    July 18, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Oh yes, warm cake and cold butter! That reminds me of morning tea at my Nanna and Pops house!
    Can’t wait to take this recipe to my sisters and try it in her thermy. I will get one one day. I will I will I will.

I have recently started a food sharing site, photo site. Similar to the likes of foodgawker and tastespotting, only no where near at their scale!!!! We all have to start somewhere, I guess.

I would love to have you contribute your photos. I love food and I love food blogs, my sister, and a couple of friends have blogs and I know how hard they works and how despondent my sister is when something doesn’t make it onto the big sites. So I started Delishogram for all the food bloggers with amazing photos and amazing food. I want it to be a site that just celebrates food and cooking.

I would love to have you contribute, please think about popping over.

Have a great weekend.