In My Kitchen – July 2015

strippy-egg-web

Do you get  stripey eggs like this in your kitchen????

Wow, June went quickly, did it for you too?  It’s time again to join in with Fig Jam & Lime Cordials “In My Kitchen” monthly round up.  A lot went on in the BE&S kitchen in June.  We had bread…

emma-bread-web

my gorgeous friend Emma brought over this divinely soft and delicious bread that she got in town from a bakery I hadn’t heard of before, the Dough Collective, do you know it? The horseshoe was sultanas & ricotta and the brown one was chocolate and banana, both so good!

My girls also had a fantastic experience with bread, they went to a cooking class at Brasserie Bread which, while it wasn’t made in our kitchen it did come home with us and the chocolate brioches, cookies and foccacia that they made kept us fed for days!!!

BB-class-web

Yum, how clever are they (both the kids and Brasserie Bread, also this was made by 10 kids so not all for us)!

we had a lot of mandarins so …..

mandarin-mojitos-web

Mandarin Mojitos, as you do!  We also have an abundance of lemons so I’ve been baking with them, using them in dressings and whipped up lovely lemon curd which I took to Book Club one night (review of the book here if you want to know what I thought).

girl-on-the-train-food-web

What you do with this is, take a biscuit (almond biscotti are good too), put some ricotta on with a dollop of lemon curd and top with a berry and it’s a lovely, easy sweet treat. Oh, and those balls in the picture are…

apple-cinnamon-balls-web

my Date, Apple & Cinnamon Seed Balls which are super healthy and a handy snack to have in the fridge or freezer.

The girls school celebrate Multicultural Day each year and everyone has to bring in some food from their cultural background. We tapped into our British heritage and took in a school dinner special, Jammy Coconut Sponge.

jammy-coconut-sponge-web

I used a Jamie Oliver recipe which was easy and delicious.  How do you like the tea towel my 97 year old Granny sent over from England? It was for Prince George’s birth, I’m waiting for the Princess Charlotte one!

With the cold weather I’ve been whizzing up some soups and have been loving trying out some new recipes too.  Have you?soup Collage

My Leek, Cauliflower & Chicken Soup, “My Brown Paper Packages” Spicy Tomato Soup (with beetroot) & “Quirky Cookings” Chicken & Brown Rice Soup.  All so nourishing which was needed when a bit of the lurgy hit, urgh!

Someone from Facebook put me onto the this as a home remedy for upset tummies; grated ginger, grated tumeric, coconut oil, honey and hot water.  It seemed to work!

IMG_7885

It didn’t stain the cup either which was a win!  I keep fresh tumeric in the freezer now so I always have a steady supply.

Dinner still always needs to happen even if we are on school holidays doesn’t it?  I’ve been loving all the inspiration that gets linked up to Your Weekly Feed, the weekly linky party that I co-host (you are all welcome to join in).  Some of what I have been cooking up to share is…

dinner Collage

Braised Chicken, Cannellini Beans & Veggies, a Tuscan classic the cabbage based Ribollita and a fancy meat with 3 vege!

I don’t often make dessert (there is always so much cake in our house so that’s my limit, ok and chocolate) but I did make this Baked Banana Chocolate Mascarpone Cheesecake.

Banana-Cheesecake-web

It was rather nice if I do say so myself!

And then finally I have been experimenting with breakfasts given that we are on holidays and don’t have to rush out the door every morning. I will type up the recipe soon but it was an experiment that actually worked!!!  Guess what?  It wasn’t eggs either! Chia pods topped with a raspberry, banana, citrus smoothie then granola.  It looked like this.

pink chia pots web

Pink goes down very well in our house and while the girls gagged on the chia pod part, let’s just say the consistency wasn’t to their liking, but the smoothie was devoured.  I loved the whole lot!

So now is the time to hop on over to Fig Jam & Lime Cordial to see what Celia has been up to, it’s always so interesting, and then take a trip around the world into foodie kitchen heaven by taking a peek into all the In My Kitchen posts linked up.

What was your favourite thing in your kitchen last month?  Do you get designer striped eggs in your egg cartons?

23 comments on “In My Kitchen – July 2015

1. Tania @My Kitchen Stories
    July 3, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Wow you fit a lot into your cooking time. I want one of those mandarin mojitos. I never even thought of that. Brilliant

July 3, 2015 at 11:27 pm

My Mum gave me a big pile of mandarins with the challenge to create something so I got to thinking!!!

2. Mandy
    July 3, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Definitely the most tasty IMK post. Wonderful flavours from beginning to end.
    🙂 Mandy xo

July 3, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Thanks so much Mandy, there was a lot going on when I reflect on it!

3. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    July 4, 2015 at 8:32 am

Um, can I move in?

July 4, 2015 at 10:33 am

Ha ha! You are welcome anytime! I’m looking forward to when mine are old enough like yours to make me things though.

July 4, 2015 at 5:08 pm

I think I’m in love with everything that’s coming out of your kitchen especially that Banana Cheesecake! Yum! I think my favourite thing last month was the Slow Cooker Sausages. They’ve been warming our bellies since the start of winter!

July 4, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Sammie. Your slow cooker sausages were great. I’m making the cheesecake again now for friends who are coming over, hope it’s as good this time round!

5. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    July 4, 2015 at 5:58 pm

You pack a load of cooking into one month that’s for sure. The bread haul from the girls cooking class was pretty impressive. I was brewing the turmeric, ginger, lemon, honey drink all winter too – except everything turned yellow including the chopping knife! Hope the lurgy has gone x

July 4, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I was worried about everything turning yellow, so far so good but don’t want to jinx it! Yes on reflection it was a busy month in the kitchen, I haven’t been doing much cooking at all this week though so it balances out! x

6. Sally
    July 4, 2015 at 6:27 pm

..and now I’m hungry! That bread (particularly the chocolate & banana one) looks amazing. Also you have reminded me how much I love lemon curd, it took me back to my childhood as mum would make huge batches with lemons from the garden. I will have to take a look at those soup recipes too for this week, last week was the classic potato and leek which was deliciously warming!

7. Glenda
    July 5, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Geez, I feel tired just reading your post. Love that egg, how cool is that? I am off to check out your date, apple and cinnamon balls. They sound particularly good.

July 5, 2015 at 7:49 pm

I know I hope the chicken didn’t push the egg out like that! It was a busy month, holidays now so not much happening in the kitchen at all! Thanks for stopping by.

8. Ania @ milktoastandhoney.co.uk
    July 6, 2015 at 7:47 am

What a beautiful post! And those mojitos sound like a nice change to the standard recipe, thanks for sharing x

July 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Thank you so much. Yes the mojitos are a bit different, good to mix things up every now and then isn’t it!

9. Joanne T Ferguson
    July 6, 2015 at 7:54 pm

What a great post I enjoyed today! I can almost smell your bread from here and the soup, despite tummy problems, does indeed look yummy!
    Thanks for this month’s kitchen view also!

July 7, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Thanks so much Joanne. Do love a good soup!

10. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    July 7, 2015 at 10:35 pm

My eggs are normal. No designer getup for them. You have been busy in the kitchen as always. I like your how to with the lemon curd. That is the type of thing I need when I see a plate like that I haven’t tried before.

July 7, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Ha, that was such a bizzare egg I hope it didn’t mean that it got stuck, twice, on the way out of the chicken! I’m glad you liked the lemon curd thing, it’s so easy and so yummy!

11. Gretchen
    July 12, 2015 at 5:14 am

It all looks so fantastic. I wish I could find a baking class lime that for my boys here. Unfortunately my kitchen is their classroom. They learn quite a bit but slow me down and get on my nerves sometimes! The mandarin mojitos sound great. I’m getting ready for a watermelon mojito right now.

July 12, 2015 at 6:08 pm

I understand about it getting on your nerves at home – the mess!!! Watermelon mojito, now you’re talking!

12. sherry from sherrys pickings
    July 27, 2015 at 4:23 pm

the chia pod looks beautiful and so deliciously pink but chia? eek. so thick and glutinous; it reminds me of frog spawn:) love the cheesecake you made . and stripy eggs? haven’t seen those before.:) i need to come over for a mojito for sure.

July 28, 2015 at 7:50 am

Ha Ha , frog spawn I like that but I do love it (chia not frog spawn)! I’m hoping the eggs were stripy from the carton rather than they got stuck on the way out of the chicken! ow. Welcome for a mojito any time.