Maremas Apple Crumble

apple-crumble-web

We were in Townsville on the weekend looking at the new house and sorting out schools for the girls.  We stayed with the in-laws and it’s always a delight to be treated to my MIL’s cooking, she didn’t disappoint with her Maremas Apple Crumble (Marema is what the grandkids call her).

The crumble on top of this one is particularly yummy.  This served 10 of us easily so if you don’t need one quite as big just halve the recipe or you could always have the leftover for breakfast like some I know!

apple-crumble-bowl-web

Maremas Apple Crumble

Serves 10

Ingredients

• 10 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 2 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp mixed spice (optional)
  • For the topping
  • 1 C toasted muesli with sultanas
  • 1 C muesli
  • 1/4 C butter, softened
  • 1 C shredded coconut
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp brown sugar

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C
  2. Put all the base ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil and stew until the apples are soft
  3. Transfer into an oven proof serving dish
  4. Combine all the topping ingredients in a bowl and rub the butter in to form a crumble mix
  5. Put the topping on the top of the apple and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar
  6. Place in the oven until the top is golden brown, approx 20 - 30 minutes
  7. Serve with cream and/or custard, ice cream take your pick!

I know you love crumble because, really, who doesn’t but do you have a favourite way?

8 comments on “Maremas Apple Crumble

1. Jen @ Love Wednesday
    July 31, 2015 at 10:23 am

This looks great – my kind of crumble! This taste will always stay with you as the ‘flavour of the move’. Good luck with these final steps! I think you’re amazing to blog through it all. xo

August 1, 2015 at 8:20 pm

You are right it will! Still a while to go, crunch time is September I may fall apart then! x

2. Lizzie {Strayed Table}
    July 31, 2015 at 1:08 pm

That cream looks so good with that apple crumble, can I have a plate please. Love the idea of having cloves in with the apple. Hope you have a great weekend.

August 1, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Thank you, I hope you do too and yes the cream with it was delicious!

3. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    July 31, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Apple crumble evokes the best memories for me. Sitting in my Nan’s kitchen eating warm apple crumble and home made vanilla icecream. Now THAT makes me all nostalgic. Excuse me – I have something in my eye 😉 xx

August 1, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Oh, I love happy food memories like that! I hope your big day went well today x

August 3, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I love apple crumble and this recipe looks like an oldie but a goodie. I’m a bit old school with mine, just butter. flour although I do like to take a walk on the wild side and use brown sugar!

August 3, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Oh you wild thing you! xx