A weeks worth of lunch box snacks

lunch box collage 1

So a few weeks ago our little primary school had a fund raising Trivia Night. Against my better judgement I was on the organising committee, have you read Big Little Lies?*  Luckily there was no being pushed to death off balconies and it was a fun night, (althoughI’m glad I’ve “done my bit” and don’t have to do it again)!  Have you ever volunteered at a school fund raiser?

Anyway, the reason I’m telling this is because I donated a weeks worth of lunch box snacks as a prize in the silent auction (well yeah it seemed like a good idea at the time and we do it for the kids right!).  Fortunately good friends of mine were the highest bidders so they were kind in their critique of my baked goods!

This time of year the tediousness of lunch boxes has well and truly kicked in hasn’t it so I thought I’d share what I made seeing that it was well received in case you were looking for inspiration to shake up the usual.

Day 1 Lemon Ricotta Yoghurt Chia Muffins

lemon-ricotta-yoghurt-chia-muffins-web

These are kind of rustic looking but given they are a one bowl wonder doesn’t really matter does it (click here for recipe)

Day 2 Baked Parmesan and Vegemite Lavosh

baked-lavosh-web

the left overs of these didn’t last very long as I polished them off!

and also on day 2 Banana Bread because you know it’s Banana Bread but I do think this recipe is THE best!

Banana-Date-Loaf-web

I often slice this up and freeze some so that there is always something to fall back on for those days when I really can’t be bothered (yes it does happen!).

Day 3 Ham, Cheese & Zucchini Muffins

zucchini-slice-muffins-web

These can be made in the Thermomix or with a regular method

I make normal and mini sized ones and they can be frozen too and then defrost in the lunch box if need be.

Day 4 Banana Rhubarb Muffins

banana rhubarb muffins

Just be sure that you don’t slip with the salt like I did with this batch as salted rhubarb banana muffins just aren’t a thing!

Day 5 Honey Butter Loaf

Honey-Butter-Cake-web

Made with pantry staples, happy days

Like the banana bread this can also be frozen in slices so you’ve always got something to pull out of the freezer.

You may have seen a few months ago the post I did on over 100 lunch box ideas with a free printable to stick on your fridge, here’s the link in case you missed it if you are wanting some more inspiration.

* I’m a Book Depository Affiliate which means nothing for you but if you buy a book through BE&S I get a small commission that may or may not keep me in coffee for a day

Do you have a tried & tested lunch box snack favourite?  Care to share? Any school volunteering stories to tell?

26 comments on “A weeks worth of lunch box snacks

1. Vicki @ Knocked Up and Abroad
    August 18, 2015 at 7:11 am

BANANA RHUBARB MUFFINS! I have a serious crush on rhubarb so I’m going to be all over them. I haven’t started my career in lunch box filling yet. Next year, but I think you’ve included some really tasty but healthier options here x

August 18, 2015 at 11:15 am

The rhubarb muffins are the business! It’s a long career in lunch box filling! x

2. Deb @ inner compass designs
    August 18, 2015 at 7:23 am

Love this! I would have totally bid on that prize too. Off to check out your 100 list and show it to my girls later today. Thanks.

August 18, 2015 at 11:16 am

I hope that they find something they like on the list

3. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    August 18, 2015 at 10:58 am

We mostly eat a version of Paleo, one of our kids has behavior difficulties, so our go to snacks are always protein based. Maybe paleo brownies or cupcakes if they are lucky xx

August 18, 2015 at 11:17 am

I always worry that mine aren’t getting enough protein during the day but they make up for it at breakfast & dinner!

4. Jodi Gibson
    August 18, 2015 at 11:56 am

These look great! I’m off to check out your 100 lunch box ideas. I’m fresh out!

August 18, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I hope you find something you like in there – I want another holiday just to not do lunch boxes!

5. Kelly
    August 18, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Yum. What a great idea for a prize too. Nope. Haven’t volunteered at any school fundraiser. I will eventually, but my son is too young for school. I made a banana and coconut loaf yesterday, and it was yum! Also gluten free, so everyone in our family can eat it 🙂

August 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Oh yum banana coconut loaf sounds delish. A word of unasked for advice – don’t volunteer for the Trivia night (at least not in your first year!). x

6. Hugzilla
    August 18, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Man, I am back on Lite n Easy this week and all these yummy baking posts are KILLING me. That honey butter loaf looks absolutely divine.

August 18, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Thanks lovely – luckily I wrote it before Problogger as I am still full from gorging myself there!

7. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    August 18, 2015 at 2:00 pm

What an awesome prize. I’ll save this as a good round up of ideas, not sure I’d be organised enough to cook it all for one week though. And yes, great read that book was!

August 18, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Yes doing it all in one week was a bit of an effort but my girls got to eat some of it too so two birds one stone kind of thing (and some in the freezer!). x

8. Pinky Poinker
    August 18, 2015 at 6:21 pm

What a fantastic idea for a prize. I might suggest it to some of the girls at work who bake. It’s a great fundraising idea Vicki.

August 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Pinky, when I did it last year there were fights at the silent auction over who wanted it the most, hilarious, the one with 4 kids did and I have a whole new appreciation for larger families, so much food!

August 18, 2015 at 6:43 pm

So much yumness in one post! I don’t know where to start really. I really do have my eyes on the prize! x

August 18, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Ha Ha!! x

10. Renee Wilson
    August 18, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Oh my God! I want one of everything. When can you drop them around? 😉

August 19, 2015 at 9:33 am

Ha! I am baked out I think it was a marathon baking week!!! x

11. Sasha @ From the Left Field
    August 21, 2015 at 11:15 pm

That is the BEST prize to win lady!! Ha ha, all my cooking looks rustic, I think you did an amazing job! 🙂 And now I feel hungry at a ridiculous hour of night! 😛 xx

August 22, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Thank you lovely lady, if I lived closer I’d make you something! xx

12. Amy @ Handbagma
    August 22, 2015 at 8:01 am

Fantastic recipes, I really need to try some out. I haven’t been baking much because I would just eat all the things!

August 22, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Thanks Amy, it’s very hard to stop at “taste testing” the baking. I keep some for the girls and then distribute the rest around the neighbourhood so I don’t eat it all myself!

13. Lizzie {Strayed Table}
    August 24, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Love the look of those lemon ricotta muffins, they would go down a treat in our home. How good are you for baking all those goodies for your fundraiser. Stopping by from FFF

August 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Thank you, I figured it was my once a year effort!! x