In My Kitchen – August 2015

lemons-web-1

In My Kitchen this month have been sunbeams and strange shaped lemons from our tree.  I can’t believe we are in August already, this year seems to be going even faster than others, are you finding the same? Perhaps because we are about to make a major change in our life, it seemed like it was way into the future but our big move is nearly upon us and I will have a whole new kitchen to talk about soon.  In the mean time here’s my month round up for Fig Jam & Lime Cordials In My Kitchen…

We finished off the school holidays with carpet picnics with the toys, sushi, veggies, fruit and smartie bickies of course!

carpet-picnic-web

and then it was head long back into lunch boxes again….

lunch-boxes-with-vita-wheat-web

I can’t say I was inspired the first day back but I did convert Donna Hay’s Date & Apple Tea Cake for the Thermomix

date,-apple-tea-cake-web

which went down a treat.

Outside my actual kitchen but from someone else’s was this great take away plunger cup that I got a loose leaf chai tea in

plunger-cup-web

I’m not sure all the extra use of plastic is necessary but it was a really nice chai!

As usual dinners had to be made, I’ve been making an extra effort with them so that I have something to post about on Your Weekly Feed (my link up on Sundays), this month we’ve had;

poached-egg-miso-veggies-web

Poached egg with Miso Veggies,

chicken-mozzarella-parcels-web

Chicken, mozzarella and prosciutto parcels (because calling something a parcel makes it sound fancy!) and

SC-Beef-Ragu-web

Slow Cooked Beef Ragu on Parmesan Polenta to name a few.

I was sent an EasiYo make at home Yoghurt Maker to review

easi-yo-5-web

which we tried and I wrote about here.  I was pleasantly surprised by it, have you ever seen or used one?

I’ve been making loads of granola and I think I’ve just about perfected my recipe.  I donated some jars as raffle prizes for the school trivia night (and am quite pleased with myself for making my own labels too, just quietly!).

granola-prize-web

The evening was themed Christmas in July and I also baked the hams for the night too.

baked-ham-web

All 10 kgs got wolfed down, I use a lime, rum, sugar and dijon mustard glaze which is delicious.

We are going to renovate our new house when we move so I have been putting together a “wish list” of my dream kitchen which I wrote about here.  Not sure that I will be able to have anything on the list but one can hope.  I will definitely miss my current kitchen, which is simple, practical and I love it.

IMG_8455
In My Kitchen, warts and all, probably should have tidied it a bit more but you know keeping it real and all that!

So that’s a wrap for this month from me, why not head over to Fig Jam & Lime Cordial to find out what’s going on there and many other kitchens around the world.

What’s been going on in your kitchen?

19 comments on “In My Kitchen – August 2015

1. EllaDee
    August 3, 2015 at 3:48 pm

As I turned the calendar over on the weekend I had the same thought… August already! Then one of the IMK posts announced it is the start of cherry season, which means Christmas is on the way…
    I use an EasiYo and a DIY Greek yoghurt recipe that you can find on Celia’s Fig Jam & Lime Cordial blog. Apparently also accordingly to another IMK blogger this month there are bio starter cultures which might be worth a try also.
    Your jars of granola and the stickers look wonderful. I make homemade muesli (no fruit) and I hadn’t thought of it as gifts or prizes but what a great idea.
    And you’ve reminded me, must do a glazed ham sooner rather than later 🙂

August 3, 2015 at 9:10 pm

I hadn’t realised how much everyone who has an EasiYo loves it until I wrote about it, will look into those bio starter cultures too. Thanks so much for stopping by. x

2. Joanne T Ferguson
    August 3, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Thank you for keeping me entertained from photo to photo and I was curious what the white plastic piece is on your chai!
    Great photos and thanks for this month’s kitchen views also!

August 3, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Take away individual plungers – something for everyone!!!!!

3. Napoli Restaurant Alert
    August 3, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Fabulous, look forward to seeing the progress of the new kitchen and seeing good ideas!

August 3, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Thank you! I hope to be able to use at least one of these ideas, it’s quite exciting!

4. Maxabella
    August 3, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Well, I just wanted to mention how much we LOVED your granola, Vicki. The kids had it in their trail mix for lunch boxes and I enjoyed it stirred through yoghurt in the mornings. I’ll be making more from your recipe soonest. x

August 3, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I’m so glad you loved it, we do here too (especially through yoghurt). I have to write up my final recipe I’ve been playing with it for so long!

5. stephanie@stephsjoy
    August 3, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I could do with a slice of that ham right now Vicki! as to your kitchen, that is so tidy – you should see mine:( x

August 3, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Ha! The ham was sooooo good.x

6. Kim | a little lunch
    August 4, 2015 at 12:32 am

Vicki… sunbeams and strange-shaped lemons and carpet picnics, oh my! (Poached egg salad, and “parcels” and polenta, too.) What happy happenings in your kitchen! Best wishes on your renovations — sounds like you’re content with what you have, but dreaming of what “might be.” That’s a lovely way to live life!

7. Ania @ milktoastandhoney.co.uk
    August 4, 2015 at 3:29 am

Vicki, I love to look of that ham and the sound of the glaze – I’m earmarking it for later in the year, thank you. Good luck with the move and enjoy making the house your home x

8. Gretchen
    August 4, 2015 at 6:25 am

That is quite a take away cup! We go through lots of homemade granola, my go to favorite is still vanilla almond though or gingerbread dark chocolate at Christmas time. We are finally finishing up summer break here and I can’t wait for school to begin again, plenty of school lunches in our future.

9. Francesca
    August 4, 2015 at 11:42 am

Love the view of your kitchen in the last photo. Full of white and light- gorgeous.

August 4, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Thank you so much Francesca I spend most on my time in it.

10. Jennifer from Milk and Honey
    August 4, 2015 at 8:40 pm

That ham is droolworthy… and don’t get me started on the apple, date and tea loaf – love at first sight.

August 4, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Thanks you, the ham went down a treat.

11. Cate
    August 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I’d love a lemon tree! Love the little egg hats too and the cake looks delish!

August 11, 2015 at 11:59 pm

It’s the tree that keeps on giving!