Photography lunch with my lovely & the lovely Fat Mum Slim + Sesame Ellis

Olympus-7-FMS-web

Last Saturday I was lucky enough to be included in a group of mothers and kids who were invited to The Grounds of Alexandria for lunch put on by Olympus AU cameras.  When the gorgeous Chantelle of Fat Mum Slim fame put out the call to see who would like to join her for the day my fingers have never flown so fast on the keyboard to say “pick us, pick us“!  There were squeals of joy when she did.

I was delighted for 2 reasons;

1. I really wanted to go, The Grounds is one of my favourite cafes and I really want to learn more about photography also I’m blogger fan girling Chantelle like a tweeny does One Direction (ok maybe not quite that much as that would be creepy but a lot and yes I slipped quite a few reasons in there but…

2. We were asked to take one child,  Miss E & I have been clashing a bit lately, both with heightened levels of anxiety about the impending interstate move and everything that goes with that plus I can see the beginings of tweeny type behaviour at 8 1/2, what’s with that? So I really wanted a day out with her so that she could feel a bit special and we could have some time without Miss 6 cramping her style.

Mission was accomplished on both fronts. Yay!

E-&-V-web

I really need to learn how to use the airbrush tool on Photoshop and to get some more sleep but that’s my lovely girl.

Last Saturday was the day that Spring decided to appear but I wasn’t given the memo so apart from sweltering in my winter boots we had the most wonderful time.  We arrived to the photography lunch table to find it set with special goodie bags for the kids and the Mums plus homemade lemonade so Miss E already thought she was winning before it even got started!

The very talented Rachel Devine of Sesame Ellis gave a really informative lesson pitched perfectly for the children to get a basic understanding of photography.  Rachel also managed to portray her love of photography and shared how she bonded with her Dad over it and now with her own children too.  We were given some paper frames to go around The Grounds with and some toy animals and see how we would apply the rule of thirds lessons.  Rachel suggested that we climb over and under things to see what angles and perspectives we could get, Miss E obliged willingly!

Olympus also gave us some cameras to practice with, here is some of Miss E’s work with the animals…E Olympus CollageShe had so much fun experimenting, especially under tables and up walls!  What is it that they say about working with children and animals?

I’m wanting a new camera and was blown away by what a difference a good camera makes, (hint, hint for birthday present GT).  I loved roaming around The Grounds where there is so much visual eye candy to photograph pretending like I had a clue what I was doing!  Olympus kindly let us take the memory cards home with us so here are some of my favourite shots from the day.

Olympus-11-FMS-web

Peonies are my all time favourite flower, so pretty.  What are yours?

Olympus-10-FMS-web

She made a friend and they had so much fun (co-incidentally these two had met previously when they were newborns and this is the first time they have seen each other since, got on like the proverbial house on fire, how cool is that?).

Olympus-19-FMS-web

I love this “vignette” as I think the look would go well in our new “tropical” home, what do you think?  Gotta have a vision!

Olympus-9-FMS-web

I couldn’t call myself a “food” blogger and not include a photo of the food now could I?  Plus how amazing are these sweet treats?

Olympus-12-FMS-web

You can’t go to The Grounds and not take a picture of Kevin Bacon although he is so big now it’s hard for him to get off the ground, how cute is that pony?

Olympus-8-FMS-web

These happy little photographers sum up all that was good about the day.  Beautiful place, beautiful food, beautiful cameras and most of all beautiful people inside and and out.

I was too shy to ask for a photo with Chantelle but my lovely blogging friend Jenny of Love Wednesday did and so here we are.

Olympus-FMS-14-web

It really was a special experience and we were so delighted to be there it will be parked away in the memory bank as a happy day. Thanks so much to Chantelle, Rachel and Olympus for hosting a great event.

Have you been to The Grounds? Do you like taking photo’s?  Do you need some special time with any of your kids? Is there anything like this in Townsville?

22 comments on “Photography lunch with my lovely & the lovely Fat Mum Slim + Sesame Ellis

1. Jen @ Love Wednesday
    August 26, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Oh wow you took some amazing photos! It was such a great day and I love that the girls made friends and reconnected so easily! I love this picture of us! Really good memories for all of us. The picture of you and your gorgeous girl at the start is so beautiful. I am probably going to have to high tail it back to The Grounds for their florist shop alone. Isn’t that place amazing xxoxoxoxoxox

August 26, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Thank you and thank you for sharing your photo too. It was such a great day wasn’t it and it was so nice to meet your gorgeous number 1 girl too. The Grounds has a winning combination of everything doesn’t it, except the parking which sucks luckily the flowers and food make up for it. xx

2. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    August 26, 2015 at 8:37 pm

You so DO NOT need to use photoshop on your photo!! What a wonderful day you guys had together – and yes peonies are beautiful.

August 26, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Hello lovely Nancy! It really was a great day and when next in Sydney you’ve got to go the Grounds. x

3. Mum Of Five Girls
    August 26, 2015 at 8:46 pm

It was such an amazing day! Your photos capture it perfectly. And your daughter is gorgeous!!

August 26, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Thank you Veronica it was so lovely to finally meet you there. x

August 26, 2015 at 10:39 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to The Grounds, if for no other reason than to see Kevin Bacon. Looks like you all had a glorious day and how gorgeous is that photo of you, Jen and Chantelle? I love it hard! xx

August 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Oh Sammie you must get there you would love it. x

5. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    August 27, 2015 at 6:55 am

Bahahahahahaha – is there anything like this in Townsville. 🙂 I think The Grounds are a bit of a one off. Looks like a fab day out. Your daughter has some skills there. Look out when you do get that new camera.

August 27, 2015 at 10:58 am

Ha ha I know – maybe there is a new business opportunity up there then!!!! xx

6. Shannon@ my2morrows
    August 28, 2015 at 6:48 am

This is all kids of awesome Vicki. How gorgeous is your little Miss! So lucky to get the opportunity and your photos are gorgeous. Love the pic of you and Jen with Chantelle! Xx

August 30, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Thanks so much Shannon it was an awesome day! x

7. Jess - A Little Part of the World
    August 28, 2015 at 10:12 am

How gorgeous!! What a terrific day for it. I love that you got one on one bonding time with your baby. I love those days with Master 4. Great photos lovely. I’m so pleased you had a great time. I’ve been meaning to get the the grounds for ages. I really must get there ASAP! Jx

August 30, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Jess, yes you must get to the Grounds, so good! x

8. Cath @mintandfizz
    August 28, 2015 at 2:15 pm

How gorgeous are your photos, how wonderful was the day and I can’t wait to show Annabel that she’s on a blog!! So fantastic to catch up with you and we definitely won’t leave it another, um, 8 years, imagine what the girl’s would be like at 16… C xx

August 30, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Thanks Cath, it was so lovely to spend time with you and the girls and no we can’t leave it 8 years and no I don’t want to know what they will be like at 16!!!

9. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    August 30, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Photoshop???? Are you kidding me you spunk! I am so glad you guys had such a gorgeous time and your photos are stunning lovely. Just stunning. I absolutely love the grounds so maybe we should organise a meet up there some time? 🙂 xx

• Maxabella
      September 1, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I’m coming tooooo!

September 1, 2015 at 2:04 pm

yes, on to it!

10. Maxabella
    September 1, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Cor, what an amazing morning, Vicki! I’m jelly! All these pics are just beautiful and I’m having a chuckle that you were too shy to ask for your own picture. Chantelle would find that deeply amusing as well. She is such a nice lady. x

September 1, 2015 at 2:04 pm

She is so lovely isn’t she. It was a great day and E is still smiling about the time we got to spend together. x