5 Tips to Help You Move House without Losing your Mind! by Calm to Conniption

Today I’m delighted to have the very talented and funny Karin of Calm to Conniption on the blog giving us some great tips about moving house without losing your mind….I did lose mine for a little bit last week I have to admit and had no idea where I’d put all my good jewellery, mild panic (ok major one) but it was safe and sound and in a logical place I just had no memory of doing it!  Luckily we have the lovely Karin to help us out today…

5375570ac07a803f96000029_house-in-travesseres-garc-s-de-seta-bonet_portadaimage source

5 Tips to Help You Move House Without Losing Your Mind

c2c

Moving is a stressful occasion. Large or small, the thought of packing up all your belongings, cleaning and then cleaning some more to unpack is seriously exhausting.

I have moved 5 times in the past 7 years and am completely off the idea of ever moving again but to progress through life, change must happen. I think change is often a wonderful thing but sometimes that change includes relocation.

The lead up to very one of my moves was stressful but each time I got better at it. By the fifth time is wasn’t quite as terrible as the first, even though I had doubled my possessions and was one up on children.

Five moves in a short space of time helped me develop a few moving skills that I am sure saved at least a little of my sanity. Here are a few tips I have discovered along the way:

1. Do not think you will clean out your belongings while you pack.

At the beginning of each move I always had great intensions of culling my belongings as I went along. What I discovered though is that by the time I got around to packing I didn’t have time to clean out properly either so it all got boxed up together. The first three moves I cleaned out my belongings AFTER I moved. Smart huh? No!

Clean out your things into trash, recycle and keep first and give yourself time. It is a harder job than packing believe me.

1. Hire the help!

I really only like to fork out money for fun, happy things and removal workers really don’t fall into this category. I hate paying for help but you know what is fun and happy? Me! After all my stuff is put in place at my new house with out having to worry about the Mr doing his back in or dropping the fridge on his toe.

Hire who or/and what you can afford but don’t scrimp if you have the cash, it’s just not worth it.

Plus the marriage counselling required after moving yourselves will cost more than a removal company in the long run!

1. Create a packing box.

This box is created first and moved first with you NOT the truck. It will be all the things you need for pack down and set up. Here are my suggestions on what to put in it:

• Packing tape + extra rolls
  • Masking tape
  • At least 3 x permanent markers
  • 2 x pens
  • Scissors
  • Stanley knife
  • Screw drivers
  • Allen keys
  • Cash, credit cards and personal belongings
  • Any required medications
  • Sheets to sleep on once you get to your new place
  • Snacks
  • Panadol

Also pack overnight bags for everyone including toiletries. Don’t forget your toothbrush.

1. Join a Facebook group in the new area that you are moving to.

For most of my moves Facebook groups were not a thing but now there is a group for everyone. You can begin your search by just entering the name of your new suburb or district and discover from there. For my last move I joined three groups prior to relocating. It helped me discover things about my soon-to-be suburb plus there was already a ready-made mothers group waiting for me from the first week.

Don’t be worried about throwing yourself into a group knowing no one. If you join a group and then decide it isn’t for you, just leave it. No one will mind.

1. Leave out a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses.

Very important! There is nothing worse than getting to the other end, standing in your new house surrounded by empty furniture and a couple of hundred boxes without any wine to drink to propel you to keep going. Remember the glasses, or if it hasn’t gone so well maybe just a straw…

Karin at Calm to Conniption is a FIFO wife, mum of two little ones and is trying not to loose herself in a pile of dirty nappies and Duplo in-between. With lashings of sarcasm and humor, Karin tackles big world problems like candle maintenance, sandwich cutting and urine projection in boys. Karin can be found;

Web: www.calmtoconniption.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/calmtoconniption

Instagram: https://instagram.com/calmtoconniption/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Calm2Conniption

An enormous thanks to Karin for these very handy tips especially number 5 as I’m now standing in a room surrounded by full boxes waiting to be unpacked!  Please make sure you pop on over to Calm to Conniption to check out more of what Karin gets up to.

Do you have any moving house tips or stories to share or would you rather block it from your mind forever?

40 comments on “5 Tips to Help You Move House without Losing your Mind! by Calm to Conniption

1. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    September 29, 2015 at 7:08 am

Thanks for having me V! Hope you are settling in well, though I suspect things might be a little busy outside the house over the next fortnight or so.

You know in all my moves I have only smashed one wine glass. I’m so proud, I really think it might be one for my resume. 😉

September 29, 2015 at 9:45 pm

That is definitely one for the resume, you will be proud I fished out the wine glasses from the priority box today (was madly trying to find shoes yesterday which of course were in the 29th box that I opened at the bottom, wasn’t expecting to have to do that!). thank you so much for guest posting especially with such useful tips. x

2. Amy @ HandbagMafia
    September 29, 2015 at 8:09 am

OMG I HATE moving! Our last move was across the road and it was so much harder than we anticipated! Great tips here!

September 29, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Moving sucks doesn’t it, such a slow process. I like that Karin has made it easier.

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I have always wondered about moving close by and if it would be any easier and the answer then would be no. Ha!

3. Min@WriteoftheMiddle
    September 29, 2015 at 8:24 am

Great tips Karin! It was 2007 when we moved into our current house. So, so stressful! We had a garage sale at the last house, followed by hiring a skip for the final decluttering before packing. We had lived in the previous house for 17 years and had accumulated a lot. Our moving days are not over as the house we are in now is not where I want to spend the rest of my days.

September 29, 2015 at 9:49 pm

We had a garage sale too, plus 2 council clean ups, sold lots & gave away bag loads but still ended up with 278 boxes to move. someone (not me) is a hoarder!

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I am not looking forward to the day my parents move. 36+ years of life with a touch of hoarding. I’m exhausted just thinking about it!

4. Vanessa
    September 29, 2015 at 11:08 am

I moved house a lot as a kid – including overseas. It helped me be prepared for moving house as an adult (damn people who sell their investment rentals and force you out!). Every time I’ve moved house as an adult it was actually before I had a drivers license too. I try to pack and move as much as I can myself (aka bugging family/friends for use of their car and driving skills) so that I can pay removalists to move furniture & appliances primarily. Depending on my budget at the time I’ll ideally have a neat stack of boxes by the door for them to put in the truck too.
    My Tip: a moving kit must always contain toilet paper 🙂

September 29, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Yes toilet paper is a good addition to the kit!

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the toilet paper. I completely judge the last owners/tenants on if they left a roll of toilet paper.

October 3, 2015 at 7:58 am

Ha, phew I did leave some rolls for the new people!

5. Deborah
    September 29, 2015 at 12:33 pm

My recommendation would be to ALWAYS allow more time to pack than you think it will take.

I almost always feel like I’m running out of time and staying up till all hours at the very last minute!

September 29, 2015 at 9:53 pm

That is so true Deb (and yes I was up until the wee hours the night before!).

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Always!

6. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    September 29, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Great tips! I hate moving too, I was in the very early stages of my first pregnancy when we moved into the house we’d built, packing and unpacking while feeling like crap was not fun at all 🙁 Hope you have settled in x

September 29, 2015 at 9:56 pm

They are great tips aren’t they. Oh moving when feeling like crap just makes a crap experience even worse!

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:50 pm

That is a scary combo Lauren. Pregnant and moving!

7. Natalie @ Our Parallel Connection
    September 29, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I love the last one – it should actually be first on the list. I threw out heaps before I started packing and it makes life much easier.

September 29, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I thought I’d got rid of a lot, which I had, but not nearly enough!

September 29, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Karin it is glorious at the moment, the girls were in the pool for 4 hours straight today!

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:51 pm

It really would but I am never as thorough.

8. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    September 29, 2015 at 7:05 pm

step 1 – step 1 – step 1!! That is the hardest and most time consuming part of the whole ordeal.

September 29, 2015 at 9:58 pm

ordeal is the right word for moving isn’t it! Tedious but we are getting there.

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:53 pm

It really is and you just can’t do it at the same time. Clear out first, then pack.

9. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    September 29, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Great tips – especially having the wine and creating a packing box. My husband has managed to be overseas every single pack up and every single unpack so far…the upside being he doesn’t see what I’m dragging from country to country!!

September 29, 2015 at 10:01 pm

My husband was away for 3 months before we moved so missed the pack up and then flew out the afternoon we arrived, next move I’m doing that!

• Karin @ Calm to Conniption
      October 1, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Your husband has brilliant timing Nancy!

10. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    September 29, 2015 at 10:18 pm

I so love that you didnt forget to mention the wine 😉 xx

11. Jodi Gibson (JF Gibson Writer)
    September 29, 2015 at 10:57 pm

I’m a seasoned professional at moving. I think I have moved over 20 times in my life which really does explain why am drawn to the minimalist lifestyle – less stuff to pack!

12. Nadia @ City Mum ~ Rural Life
    October 1, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Hahaha – I love the leave out a bottle of wine and glasses! Great suggestion. I will be adding that to our packing rules when we move in December.

October 3, 2015 at 7:58 am

Oh where are you moving to? My advice is declutter as much as you can!

13. Zoe | A Quirky Bird
    October 1, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Oh Karin, such awesome moving tips. I haven’t moved in about 10 years, so I will dread the next one. I love the wine and glasses especially. Great guest postie choice, Vicki. xx

October 3, 2015 at 7:53 am

They are great tips aren’t they, I’m glad I put the wine glasses in the priority box as they were needed!

October 2, 2015 at 7:15 am

Such great advice, Karin! My advice is definitely to pay for the most moving help you can afford, when we moved down under from the UK, they came and packed the boxes for us and unpacked and assembled all the big stuff at the other end and it was a total game changer. Yes, to the wine and the wine glasses, but don’t forget to leave out the kettle, a cup and some tea bags because a good old fashioned cup o’ tea makes everything better! xx

October 3, 2015 at 7:56 am

I found the kettle but the toaster is in the other shipment that hasn’t made it to us yet! Random!

15. Dorothy Carlson
    November 12, 2015 at 12:02 am

Thanks for the great tips! I will definitely need them for my moving at the end of the year. Best regards

November 12, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Thank you for stopping by, so glad we could be helpful.