Honey Oat Bars, buttery, oaty & delicious

Honey Oat Bars

About a year ago I was having a great time going through the girls school fund raising cook book and trying out all the family favourite recipes. So interesting (to me) to see what other people eat. I hadn’t looked at it for ages but we gained an extra 2 of the same books from the Fathers Day stall at school because every house needs 3 of the same cookbook don’t they & the P&C may or may not have been clearing out the store cupboard!  Anyway, it prompted me to take another look and as my mission this week is to try to reduce the food in the pantry (& freezer) before the big pack up next week I was looking for a pantry staples kind of thing for the girls recess. Happily, I came across Honey Oat Bars which are sort of like an old fashioned flapjack.

So today I’m sharing with you Honey Oat Bars, buttery, oaty & delicious and so very easy to make too. Credit needs to go to the Hill Family for the original recipe.  Mine turned out “rustic” looking (again!) but these are the business, they taste great and perfect for lunch boxes although I’ve been giving them a good nudge too!

Honey Oat Bars

Ingredients

• 1 C rolled oats
  • 1 C sultanas (an any other dried fruit, I used raisins as that is what was lurking)
  • 1/2 C wholemeal SR Flour (I used a GF one)
  • 1/2 C raw sugar (I used 1/4 and still sweet enough)
  • 1/2 C dessicated coconut
  • (I also added 2 Tbsp golden flaxseed to use them up so optional but a good addition)
  • 155 g butter
  • 1 Tbsp honey

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line or grease a lamington or slice tin
  2. Combine the oats, sultanas, flour, sugar, coconut (& flaxseed if using) in a bowl
  3. In another bowl/saucepan melt the butter and honey and then mix in with the dry ingredients in the bowl until the mixture clings together
  4. Press the mix evenly (with the back of a spoon) into the prepared tin and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden
  5. Leave to cool in the tin and then slice into bars or squares
  6. Enjoy!

Have you got a family favourite recipe? What are your lunch box favourites?

12 comments on “Honey Oat Bars, buttery, oaty & delicious

September 17, 2015 at 11:58 am

I think this recipe has been doing the rounds, as the oldies but goodies always do. We love these – so simple and so yum. My favourite family recipe is my nana’s bread pudding, it’s totes hard to beat!

September 17, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I can see why, so good, I ate most of the first batch myself! Your nana’s bread pudding sounds delicious too. x

2. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    September 18, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Hahaha every house really does need 3 of the same cookbooks! I love the family cookbooks where everyone submits their best recipes. So good! These bars look great! Thanks for linking up with Fabulous Foodie Fridays!

September 19, 2015 at 11:07 pm

You know I can never answer that question of what is your favourite family recipe, it changes all the time!

3. Sarah @ Tomfo
    September 19, 2015 at 7:30 am

Thanks for sharing, I’ll be using this one over the school holidays, I love a family favourite recipe, mine is my con dip, it’s always a winner at parties. There’s something magic about making recipes handed down from others, it keeps you close to the people who gave them to you, have a fab weekend x

September 19, 2015 at 11:08 pm

It does doesn’t it, I hope you like the bars – I inhaled them!

4. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    September 19, 2015 at 9:41 am

I think I’m going to start saying my food is ‘authenticly rustic’ haha nothing I bake is ever pretty. These bars look great – and not far off the flapjack I used to make as a kid. What are you going to do with 3 of the same recipe book?!

September 19, 2015 at 11:11 pm

I gave one of them to my father in law for Fathers Day – I don’t think he has ever cooked anything in his life and Santa might be delivering the other one to someone!!!

5. Natalie @ Our Parallel Connection
    September 19, 2015 at 5:52 pm

I have so many cook books at home but sadly they are used to decorate my kitchen rather than make it smell nice. I am not a great cook and seem to mess things up so cook books are usually the enemy.

September 19, 2015 at 11:12 pm

I like the tried and tested easy recipes – all about keeping it real!

6. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    September 21, 2015 at 10:28 am

I’m really trying to use my cookbooks a lot more, just so I can justify having so many!

September 21, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I was trying to decide whether I should cull some of mine in the move but I couldn’t do it!