Quinoa, Ham & Zucchini Slice

Quinoa Ham & Zucchini Slice

There has been lots in the media this week about how ham & bacon and all processed meats are not good for you. We don’t have a lot of processed meats but we do enjoy bacon and ham, like really, really enjoy. I’d already made this really yummy Quinoa, Ham & Zucchini Slice before hearing the news but if you are concerned you can easily leave out the ham and it will still be good! This is a good one for those who need to be gluten free as well and it’s great as a light lunch or dinner or lunch boxes.

I’ve got regular &Thermomix methods for you and it’s great served hot or cold and perfect cut into bit sized pieces for lunch boxes.

What you need:

1 C cooked quinoa (cook per packet instructions)

4 eggs

1/4 C milk

3/4 C grated cheese

1/2 tsp ground paprika

1 garlic clove, crushed

1/2 onion, finely diced

2 zucchinis, grated

1 carrot, grated

1/2 C ham or bacon, diced

What you do:

Preheat the oven to 200 and grease and/or line a lamington tray with baking paper.

Whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients and combine

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden & reasonably firm to touch

Allow to cool in the tin and then slice into desired sizes and serve with a salad or in the lunch box.

Quinoa, Ham & Zucchini Slice Thermomix

Ingredients

• 1 C quinoa
  • 200 g cheese
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 zucchini roughly chopped
  • 1 carrot roughly chopped
  • 4 - 5 slices of ham or bacon
  • 4 eggs

Instructions

1. Fill the TM bowl to cover the blades and then put the steamer basket in add the quinoa and cook on 100 / 18 mins / speed 2. Set aside to cool
  2. Chop the cheese, onion, garlic, zucchini, carrots and ham Speed 5 / 5 seconds
  3. Add the eggs and combine Speed 4 / 4 seconds
  4. Mix in the quinoa Reverse / Speed 3 / 6 seconds
  5. Pour into the prepared tin and cook for 25 - 30 minutes until golden and just about firm to touch
  6. Cool in the tin and then slice into desired sizes
  7. Serve with salad or in the lunch boxes

What do you think about the bacon issues?  Do you like meals that can be eaten anytime?

12 comments on “Quinoa, Ham & Zucchini Slice

1. Lisa @ Chocolate Meets Strawberry
    November 2, 2015 at 8:38 am

Oh yum! I love the look of this. I don’t eat ham but often make a very similar vegetarian zucchini and rice slice, so will definitely be trying your quinoa version in place of rice next time! 🙂

November 3, 2015 at 10:21 am

Rice would also be good – nice to mix it up for a change too I will try rice next time.

2. Shari from GoodFoodWeek
    November 2, 2015 at 11:31 am

We aren’t big ham or bacon eaters – but we really enjoy it when we do have it. I say eating it once a week isn’t going to hurt and we don’t eat over the 90 gram recommendation, so I am not worried about it. Oh and I love Christmas Ham – so this study can go jump!

November 3, 2015 at 10:22 am

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without the ham! x

3. Simone
    November 6, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Delish! I have tried a zucchini slice with quinoa flakes before. I really should give this a go too!

November 9, 2015 at 4:40 pm

You could interchange the quinoa for the flakes in the this too.

4. Suzanne
    November 6, 2015 at 6:45 pm

We’ve only tried Quinoa a few times but love zucchini slice so this will be an easy way to try it again with the picky 7 year old.

November 9, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Yes you can just sneak it in for a bit of extra protein!

5. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    November 8, 2015 at 6:39 pm

We enjoy bacon and ham here too, it’s all about moderation I guess!

November 9, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Yes that’s my mantra, everything in moderation.

6. Kate
    June 5, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Sorry there are a few issues with the Thermomix version of the recipe. I wouldn’t normally point out errors but want to make sure nobody else gets caught out like me.

The quinoa I had to keep increasing the time. After 30 mins I dumped the quinoa out of the basket and into the water in the bowl and cooked for an additional 5 mins reverse/ speed 2 /100 deg. It was still partly raw but I just needed to get on with it.

The chopping step I needed to repeat twice .
    Also with the mixing quinoa through I had to repeat the step to completely mix it through.

Also the milk has been left out of the tmx recipe. As luck would have it I had some cream I wanted to use up so had chucked it in anyway as I’m used to using milk or cream in a zucchini slice. Let’s hope it comes out of the oven ok ?

June 9, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Oh my I will check all of this out and fix it asap, thanks so much for letting me know. I’m not sure what went on there!