Kitchen Hacks #1: Super easy, no fuss, no fail way to poach an egg

easiest no fail way to poach an egg

Well today I have impressed myself with making a GIF (for those non technical people it’s the series of photo’s flashing before your eyes now & you don’t have to be a techy to know how to do it, truly because I am not!).

I’m into making life easier in the kitchen which is really the whole point to this blog so I thought I would start a new mini series on Kitchen Hacks.  Do you like the sound of that?  They will be hacks on things that are achievable & practical and that you may actually use. Obviously eggs had to be in my first hack because well, eggs!

I never used to make poached eggs myself, that was always GT’s job because while he’s not much chop (pun intended) in the kitchen most of the time, he is really good at eggs.  I didn’t want to be reliant on him for my breaky or to have to go out out so I stumbled upon this super easy, no fuss, no fail way to poach an egg.  No messing about with vinegar or stirring, it’s as simple as boiling a pot of water, that’s it, nothing else!   Now I poach eggs pretty much every second day!

Kitchen Hacks #1: Super Easy, No Fuss, No Fail way to poach an Egg

Boil up a saucepan of water and once it’s boiling turn off the heat and crack the egg into the saucepan.  Best for the egg to be room temperature but doesn’t really matter.

Put the lid on and do nothing, that’s it, leave it to poach for 3 – 4 minutes or until cooked to your liking.  Scoop out with a slotted spoon and eat away.  See, it really is a super easy, no fuss, no fail way to poach an egg!

You can usually have 3 – 4 eggs poaching at the same time depending on the size of your saucepan.  Sometimes the egg white spreads a bit around the pan & looks a mess but it drops off when you scoop the egg out so you have a cafe quality looking egg every time. There you go now you can be a masterchef for breakfast in no time!

That’s the cooking part…my favourite ways to eat poached eggs are;

Avocado and poached egg on sour dough

the classic smashed avocado & poached egg on toasted sourdough but also

poached-egg-miso-veggies-web

on top of miso veggies for a healthy lunch or dinner for something a bit different.

How do you poach your eggs?  Will you try this way? Got any Kitchen Hacks to share?

32 comments on “Kitchen Hacks #1: Super easy, no fuss, no fail way to poach an egg

1. Amy @ Handbagma
    October 13, 2015 at 7:38 am

I will definitely try this method. I’m hopeless at poaching eggs but rather marvellous at eating poached eggs, so I should know how to make them!

October 13, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I was the same, don’t worry if it makes a mess in the pan once you scoop it out nobody knows that it was there!

2. Min@WriteoftheMiddle
    October 13, 2015 at 9:28 am

So impressed by your Gif making skills! Also impressed by your poached egg making skills. Poached is my favourite way to eat them but I have yet to master the ability to poach well. I will try your way with fingers and toes crossed! 🙂

October 13, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Let me know how you go!

3. Kathy
    October 13, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Cool with the GIF – I’ve made a few before but I haven’t been able to get them to work on Facebook to share, but good for the blog and perfect for your poached egg explanation. Funny that in our household hubby nearly always does the poaching of eggs (well) while I do the scrambling (also pretty well if I do say so myself – with herbs, a little cheese, swirl of aoili, finely diced onion and often finely diced ham).

October 13, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I’m still trying to get it to work for FB & Instagram apparently we need to download the GIF share app. Your scrambled eggs sound great too.

4. Hugzilla
    October 13, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Holy crap, I love poached eggs but I never make them because I’ve never been able to master it – all seems too complicated. I must try this though!

October 13, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Let me know if you do! x

5. Janet aka Middle Aged Mama
    October 13, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I must confess: I’ve never made poached eggs. Not a huge fan of them, so that’s probably why … BUT any life or kitchen hacks are ALWAYS welcome so keep ’em coming!!!

Visiting from #teamIBOT x

October 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm

I will think up some more Janet! x

6. Vanessa
    October 13, 2015 at 7:48 pm

I’m not an expert at poached eggs but this looks a lot easier than other ways I’ve tried!

October 13, 2015 at 9:03 pm

It’s super easy (otherwise I wouldn’t bother making them!).

October 13, 2015 at 11:12 pm

I am usually way too lazy to poach eggs but when I do, I do them in the Thermomix. This is just genius and there will be no prizes for guessing what we’re going to be eating for breakfast this weekend! PS I love the GIF You so clever!

October 15, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Thanks Sammie – you know I’ve never tried them in the Thermomix – I suppose I should but this is so easy too!

8. Liz
    October 17, 2015 at 8:50 am

I just tried this Vick, and it worked out great!!! Thank you!!

October 17, 2015 at 10:00 pm

My pleasure Lizzy. I’m so pleased it worked for you x

9. Kim @ Land of Zonkt
    October 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm

This is so clever.
    I never do poached (even though it’s my most favourite way to have eggs) because I can’t be bothered fussing. This is brilliant.
    I think I’ll try it for breakie tomorrow morning too.
    Thank you for linking up to this weeks FFF Party. xx

October 17, 2015 at 9:52 pm

My pleasure. I hope it works for you x

10. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    October 18, 2015 at 4:51 pm

OMG chick – I have NEVER been able to poach an egg and after a disastrous few attempts where I tried to swirl the water blah blah, I gave up trying! I am so giving it a go again thanks to you xx

October 18, 2015 at 7:43 pm

It’s a game changer for eggs Son!! I hope it works for you x

11. Fleur | Our Urban Box
    October 18, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Oh my gosh! So EASY! I am going to try this this weekend. Love poached eggs but always struggle to cook them perfectly! Thank you!!

October 19, 2015 at 8:02 pm

You are very welcome!

12. Bronnie - Maid In Australia
    October 19, 2015 at 9:14 am

This is the only way I’ve ever poached eggs … though I googled once and learned if you add a touch of vinegar it stops them breaking up. My kids say it affects the taste though, so I stopped doing that. I didn’t know there were other ways. I never really knew what I was doing (especially with the breaking up bits) as I taught myself because my kids loved them, but good to know I’m doing it right.

October 19, 2015 at 8:06 pm

I’m glad you do it to, lots of people recommend swirling and vinegar but it never works for me and this way does!

13. Shannon @ Oh Creative Day
    October 19, 2015 at 12:25 pm

That GIF could change my life! I’ve always steered clear of poaching eggs- I always thought it was super tricky. You make it look easy!!

October 19, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I hope your tricky egg days are behind you now! x

14. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    October 19, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I’m always scared poaching eggs. Don’t you need vinegar or something?? I have to try this as it looks super easy and I definitely give your favourite poached eggs breakfast the thumbs up!

October 19, 2015 at 10:27 pm

The beauty of doing it this way is that you don’t need anything, truly! I hope they work for you, fingers crossed x

15. Lisa @ Chocolate Meets Strawberry
    October 25, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Genius! I guess I can get stop using my silicone egg poaching cups! Love it 🙂

October 25, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Yes you can! I hope it works for you.x

16. Christine @ Adventure, Baby!
    November 1, 2015 at 7:21 am

I need to give this another go. I’ve tried the vinegar thing before and they tasted awful.

November 1, 2015 at 10:19 pm

That’s what I thought too which is why I love how simple and fuss free this way is, not the neatest way to do it but certainly easy!