Birthday Pool Party – Tips, Tricks and Cake (hint, have wine!)

pool party birthday cake

I know that it’s meant to be all about Christmas now but at BE&S HQ we can’t start to think about Christmas until the festival of Miss Now 7 is done and dusted!  This year, given that we actually have a pool, she had a pool party, as you do, for 15 of her closest friends that she has known for all of 8 weeks! I love when you are 7 that everyone is immediately your best friend and you just get on with the joy of playing.

15 little girls at a birthday pool party does require some organisation and supervision or else chaos reigns, tears flow (mine) and it all goes down the toilet (incidentally one poor little one did get locked in the toilet which on it’s own is scary but when there is no ceiling & lots of building crap (pun not intended) & a dodgy washing machine pouring water out into the bath it’s even worse) so I turned to Pinterest for food ideas, pool games and what to actually do.  Can I just add here in case you are new to the blog that we are in the middle of quite a big renovation and the house is a work site so it was outside only on a really, really hot & humid day in North Queensland!

I thought that we’d better have some “structured” play for some of the time so we had “games”, they loved them!

First up was a water balloon fight – how good are those “Bunch of Balloons”, you can literally fill up 100 balloons in a minute (not sponsored just love them and all the little special friends are getting them for Christmas too!)

water balloon play

Wearing goggles helps your aim apparently!

Next up we played “Throw the Sponge onto a Plastic Plate”, seriously! It was a surprisingly big hit with the girls, we divided them up into 3 teams with different coloured sponges and the team with the most sponges on a plate won.

Pool party fun

Tip: If you jump in the pool all the sponges float off the plates, this took several rounds to sink in!

We also had “who can make the biggest splash bombing”, relay races, how far can you swim underwater, noodles races and crazy ways to jump in!  GT wore his lifesaving whistle and kept them all in order!!!  At this point I’d like to show a nod of appreciation to all teachers, carers and coaches, it’s like herding cats, far out!!

So after all that “structured play” it was time for some food (and wine).

Food ideas for a kids pool party

Pinterest inspired waffle cones with fruit, healthy Chocolate Crackles (using The Organised Housewife’s recipe), jellies with the obligatory umbrella and a floating tiny teddy, to easy my conscience a “crudite” platter and then some “pool” water (1 drop of blue food colouring into 4 litres of water). Plus of course loads of chips for my chip monster.

The parents who were kicking back, trying not to melt in the heat, got a platter with some brie baked with pear & honey & dips etc (the brown one is actually a really yummy walnut & pomegrante hummus even though it may look like something else, I didn’t make it so you can be rude about it if you like)!

cheese & dip platter

The kids then had a great time playing in the pool until … Cake time!

Birthday cake with sparklers

Yay!  Hip, Hip, Hooray she’s 7!  I couldn’t find the candles so sparkles were it. The Womans Weekly Retro Birthday Cake Cookbook is one of my faves it the book that keeps on giving.  I still remember my swimming pool cake from when I was little, did you have it too?

I always use Julie Goodwins Never Fail Birthday Cake recipe (from Our Family Table)  for birthday cakes, so yummy and you really can’t fail.  My philosophy is that all bets are off for birthday parties and it’s all about the cake so it’s fully loaded with sugar, butter, flour, eggs and the rest (although I did half the sugar as there is rather a lot in the original recipe and I thought when iced and with the jelly that would be plenty!) no one knew any different.

pool party birthday cake

You do need to be a little bit organised in making this cake as you need the jelly set before tipping it into the “pool” so I made it a day ahead. I cut the middle out of the cake and then saved some of it (ate of lot of it too) to be the “sand” around the pool edge.  Another cake tip  is if you are icing it, it’s always handy to whack it into the freezer for a bit beforehand as it stops the crumbs getting in the icing.  If you are doing thick icing do a layer, put it back in the freezer for an hour and then continue icing and you won’t get any crumbly bits.

Anyway for this cake it really doesn’t matter because the Kit Kats cover all mistakes.  I was particularly taken with the new Kit Kat Swirl, it looked very fence like, no?

My girls “styled” the Lego ladies, one head first, diving into the pool.

So there you have it a very quick “how to host a pool party”.  Miss 7 was very happy with it …

m-pool-party-glasses-web

and herself!

Do you have any pool party tips to add?  Did you have the WW swimming pool cake growing up? Want some of your own glasses like hers?

25 comments on “Birthday Pool Party – Tips, Tricks and Cake (hint, have wine!)

1. Vanessa
    December 8, 2015 at 11:55 am

Oh wow – what a birthday! I’d kinda love that for my own haha

December 8, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I know, such fun we may need to do an adult one too!

2. Sasha @ From the Left Field
    December 8, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Love it!! And love Miss 7’s pose ha ha! That is such a great party you’ve put together Vicki, particularly with all the renos going on! We’re having a pool party at the local pool/water park in Feb for the biggest little lady and I’m totes going to get some inspo from you! On the fruit waffle cones- are they little chocs on top? Or frozen yoghurt dollups? I have 2 parties one week after the other next year… hold me…. who’s idea was it to have 2 girls born 10 days apart?? 😛 xx

December 8, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Thanks lovely, 10 days apart that’s full on! They are actually meringues on top of the waffle cones, straight from the supermarket box, too hot here for anything that could melt!!!! Freaking hot actually!

December 8, 2015 at 5:10 pm

I feel like I totally missed out not having even one WW Birthday Cake! We never had that book in the mother country! I think you did a bang up job with the cake, and the whole party. It makes me want to be seven all over again!

December 9, 2015 at 9:24 pm

It’s never too late Sammie for your own one!

4. Hugzilla
    December 8, 2015 at 5:17 pm

This all looks seriously amazing and I LOVE that cake. I could eat my way around all those Kit Kats. Having major pool envy as well. Would love to step into my backyard and straight into that!

December 9, 2015 at 9:31 pm

We got a bit lucky with the pool it’s bigger than our whole backyard in Sydney! The kit kats are winners too.

5. EssentiallyJess
    December 8, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Well done! Birthday parties in the tropics are always a bit of a challenge, so you did really well!

December 9, 2015 at 9:31 pm

I really had to think about what I could make and keep cool so it wouldn’t melt, it was a scorcher too! Thanks lovely lady. x

6. Mumma McD
    December 8, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Oh Vicki this post brings back memories, I had the pool cake for my 8th birthday and it was THE BEST! Looks like you had an awesome party for Miss 7 x

December 9, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I can’t remember which birthday I had it for (probably my 8th too) but I do have vivid memories of it with those chocolate fingers instead of the kit kats!

7. Renee Wilson
    December 8, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Love those sunnies! I want a pair! This seriously looks like an epic party. She would have been absolutely chuffed with it.

December 9, 2015 at 9:33 pm

The sunnies were on a random shelf in Coles, put there just for her I think! She did love the party (thank goodness!).

8. peregrinationgourmande
    December 9, 2015 at 7:19 pm

So great!!! I wish we could have pool parties!!! But we had a nice Harry Potter birthday party! Happy birthday to your little one! See you very soon! xx cathy

December 9, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Harry Potter party would be fun too. You will have your own experience of the pool very soon! x

9. Bec @ Seeing the Lighter Side
    December 9, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Oh that looks like so much fun! It’s amazing how kids end up enjoying the really simple games the most. #TeamIBOT

10. Ashlea @ Glamour Coastal Living
    December 11, 2015 at 9:52 am

This looks so awesome! Fun party games are a must – otherwise I imagine it would have been chaotic! My Mum passed on down her Womens Weekly birthday cake book, I love it, the pool party cake will be enjoyed in our household too – how awesome does it look!? x

December 13, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Was organised chaos I think! The WW books are the best for birthday cakes aren’t they!

11. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    December 12, 2015 at 8:00 am

What an amazing party, love the cake and the games! Thanks for linking up with us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays, have a great weekend 🙂

December 13, 2015 at 10:52 pm

My pleasure, got to love the pool cake!

12. lu @ looking for mama me
    December 12, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I love that cake! Its so fun 🙂 looks like a great party!

December 13, 2015 at 10:53 pm

It’s a winner with the kids and so easy to make.

13. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    December 13, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Yes, I want those glasses! Just reading this post got me frustrated at organising kids. I have not one single teacher bone in my body. It all hurts my brain. My friend has just started a business where she organises a “backyard” party for you. I think she has a client for life from me. I love organising the party but don’t make me work with multiple children!

December 13, 2015 at 10:56 pm

I think your friend is on to a winner there. GT was very handy with the whistle which the kids responded to really well!!!!!