Yvonne’s Crunchy Peanut Biscuits straight from the Tablelands

Yvonne's peanut Cookies

We were lucky enough to have a few days on the Atherton Tablelands in North Queensland between Christmas and New Year, a new part of the world to me and so very beautiful.  Lush green diary country…

Diary Country

majestic waterfalls, these are the Millaa Millaa Falls, stunning (and cold!).

Millaa Millaa Falls

Swinging over rivers and climbing trees (avoiding crocs, apparently the freshwater ones live further downstream and the salties haven’t come up this far, fingers crossed anyway) on the Herbert River.

Swinging on the Herbert River

(she was scared but gave it a red hot go and had so much fun, city girl no more!)

It’s also peanut country.  Our friends have a peanut farm and it was so interesting to learn a little bit more about how peanuts are grown.

Peanuts growing in the field

It also rains quite a bit up on the Tablelands, no water shortage there, but gives plenty of time for cooking.  Our friends Mum, Yvonne, baked up this batch of delicious crunchy peanut biscuits for us and we sat drinking tea, eating bikkies watching the rain.

Peanut Cookies straight from the peanut farm

I used the downtime time to go through Yvonne’s recipe book and she kindly shared the recipe for her Crunchy Peanut Biscuits with me, because they are so yummy I’m sharing with you too.  If you are looking for things to bake with kids these holidays these bickies are the goods (unless of course there are peanut allergies!)

Yvonne's Crunchy Peanut Biscuits

Ingredients

• 125 g butter
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 C SR flour
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 C peanuts

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line 2 baking trays with baking paper
  2. Over a medium heat in a large saucepan melt the butter and vanilla together, cool slightly
  3. In a bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix through the egg.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan and stir quickly to combine (so you don't get scrambled eggs!)
  5. Scoop out your desired size of biscuits and place on the baking trays (allow room for spreading)
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden (allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes and then on a cooling rack until completely cool.
  7. Store in an air tight container for up to a week.
  8. (Makes loads of bickies!)

Crunchy Peanut Cookies

If you are a peanut nut you may also like my super healthy, raw Peanut Butter & Honey Bliss Balls, you won’t be able to stop at one!

Have you got any family favourite recipes?  Keep them in a book? Ever been to a peanut farm?

12 comments on “Yvonne’s Crunchy Peanut Biscuits straight from the Tablelands

1. Lisa @ Chocolate Meets Strawberry
    January 21, 2016 at 6:54 am

I’ve always wanted to go to the Atherton Tablelands – such a gorgeous part of the world. Those waterfalls look just superb. I would love a dip in them right now instead of heading off for work today!! 😛 And these peanut biscuits look right up my alley. I love anything with peanuts in it!! The addition of cinnamon in these sounds fantastic, too 🙂

January 21, 2016 at 11:40 pm

I had no idea how beautiful it is up there. The bickies were the business!

2. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    January 21, 2016 at 8:23 pm

What did you learn about peanuts? They are legumes I think? We had them in Japan once served with their shoot and we nearly fell off the chair because we thought they grew on trees. I hope I’m right and haven’t made an idiot of myself!!!

January 21, 2016 at 11:44 pm

I thought they grew on trees to but no in the ground they shoot up, make a flower and then back into the ground again. It’s very hard to make them organic as they attract a lot of pests. We saw a crop duster spraying them, those pilots fly so close to the ground!

3. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    January 23, 2016 at 6:42 am

There’s nothing better than getting recipes off friends – you always know that they’ll be delicious!! These cookies definitely sound awesome.

January 24, 2016 at 12:30 am

They were really yummy!

4. Bec @ The Plumbette
    January 23, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Yum! My girls would love these. Saving the recipe as an afternoon tea treat. X

January 24, 2016 at 12:31 am

They are really yummy ones, I was so happy to take a look through that cook book, lots more treats from it to come and some a perfect for lunch boxes too!

5. jayne
    July 10, 2016 at 10:05 am

wonderful simple recipe and what a lovely holiday to the atherton tablelands! we were there 2 years ago and I would love to go back 😉

July 10, 2016 at 9:56 pm

We drove through it again last week – it’s gorgeous and we had lunch at Yungaburra Pub which still has it’s original dining room which was fabulous a real step back in time.

July 11, 2016 at 9:30 pm

What a beautiful part of the world and what delicious cookies! Cinnamon and peanut sound like a winning combination!

July 12, 2016 at 9:49 pm

It’s a gorgeous part of the world, very English in a way but with palm trees! The bickies are yummy too!