In My Kitchen – January 2016

Summer Celebration Food

Happy New Year!  I hope 2016 brings you light, love, happiness, good health and lots of adventures of the foodie and other kind.

I enjoy doing these monthly recap posts and being part of the In My Kitchen foodie circle and I do hope you enjoy reading them, I thought I’d keep going with them this year but would love any feedback you have too as I want to keep BE&S interesting and useful for you in 2016.

With the hope that you do actually like reading my monthly flashbacks here’s what was going on in my kitchen over the last month.

On New Years Eve we were actually at home after a few weeks of road tripping, and could see the fireworks from our house. We had GT’s family over for a little celebration.  I have to say Townsville did well on the fireworks front! We had only arrived home the day before so everything I made (in the photo above) was actually just assembling but the little caramelised onion, goats cheese and rosemary tarts were a winner so will be making those again for sure!

Step by Step gingerbread house making

Thermomix kindly sent me some great gingerbread house moulds so the girls and I had our first attempt at making a gingerbread house from scratch.  One side collapsed but hey, royal icing fixes everything, as does a coating of icing sugar and lollies!  It was a fun pre-Christmas activity and one that I think will turn into a tradition.

Watermelon, mint, haloumi seeded salad

To balance out the sugar load and to combat the heat this Watermelon, Mint & Haloumi Seeded Salad went down well too as my final contribution for 2015 to Your Weekly Feed, the meal link up I co-host on Sundays.  We will be starting it up again in a couple of weeks so I’d better get creating in the kitchen again soon.

On Christmas Eve we have a big family get together at the in-laws.  This Antipasto “Christmas Tree” was my contribution…

Antipasto Christmas Tree

Some how it looks more like a robot unfortunately!  Not quite Pinterest Perfect but nobody seemed to mind!!

For some last minute Christmas gifts I made some Macadamia Bark (will write up the recipe soon)

macadamia Christmas Bark

it was rather yummy and I also made some Baileys Chocolate Sauce using Treat Yourself Sweeter‘s recipe and it’s so very good, I didn’t want to give it away!

Baileys Chocolate Sauce

YUM!

Staying with the chocolate theme for a moment more, the girls gave GT his own personalised Nutella for Christmas

Personalised nutella

To move away from Christmas and all that indulgence (phew, the shorts are getting a bit tight around the tummy!) if you have been reading these posts for a while you may have noticed that I like to try new things (to me) that I find in our local growers market.  In December we tried Spaghetti Squash.

Spaghetti Squash

I scooped out the seeds and liberally drizzled olive oil, salt & pepper and then baked for 40 minutes.  When it’s cooked you can scrape out the flesh with a fork and it looks like spaghetti.  It’s quite mild tasting and we had it with a roast chicken as a change to the usual vege.

I started trying out new breakfast ideas,

Coconut Maple Bananas

these Maple Bananas were devoured (I will write up the recipe soonest).

I was sent some ready meals to review from Tassal (here’s my review which includes a look at one of our holiday road trips)

tassal

While we were visiting friends on the Atherton Tablelands I went through my friends Mum’s recipe book and there will be some delicious treats of the CWA kind (but with less sugar!) coming out of the BE&S kitchen soon for sure

In My Kitchen Family Recipe book

but for now we are on holidays so my kitchen is closed for a bit and that’s all I’ve got for this month!

Maureen from The Orgasmic Chef is care taking In My Kitchen for a while so please be sure to pop on over to check out what’s been going on in other kitchens around the world in the last month as well, it’s always interesting to take a cheeky peek!

How was your Christmas?  Any DIY delights?  Are you having a holiday now? Do you like reading my IMK posts?

29 comments on “In My Kitchen – January 2016

1. Sandra
    January 5, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Lovely summery post Vicki, the watermelon salad sounds so fresh. I love old handwritten cookbooks, they are absolute gems. I saw a terrific FB post which advised if your gingerbread house collapsed to just add a toy dinosaur…..

January 5, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Ha! A toy dinosaur is hilarious, my girls would love that will have to remember that for next year as I’m sure it won’t be our last collapse! The cookbook was fabulous I loved going through it.

2. marcellina
    January 5, 2016 at 9:16 pm

What a lovely surprise to visit a blog based in Townsville! I’m just up the road in Ingham. I loved taking a peep in your kitchen!

January 5, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Hello! We just travelled through Ingham the other day. We moved to Townsville 4 months ago so I’m enjoying getting to know it and the region.

3. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    January 6, 2016 at 2:03 pm

That recipe book is amazing! Wish I lived closer and could exchange building work for food 🙂 xx

January 6, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Oh goodness so do I the builders are MIA at the moment. I will see what I can whip up that is postable anyway!!!

4. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    January 6, 2016 at 5:54 pm

How precious is that old recipe book? Lisa’s pikelets – so simple and I bet they work every single time. I laughed at your gingerbread house – only because I couldn’t imagine tackling something like that you must have the patience of a saint or a lot of icing! Happy New Year lovely x

January 6, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I couldn’t fuss too much about the gingerbread house as I knew it would smashed as soon as they were allowed to eat it, and it was! I can’t wait to try out some of the recipes from that book, I was really touched to be able to go through it.x

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
    January 6, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Everything in your kitchen is wonderful but when I got to that hand written cookbook my eyes filled with joy and a teensy bit of envy. I think spending the day making a gingerbread house is a terrific way to recharge our engines. 🙂 Thanks for being a part of In My Kitchen!

January 6, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I think this blog will be my version of the handwritten cookbook for my kids but it’s not quite the same is it (although I’m sure they will think it’s ancient by the time they get around to appreciating it!) I can’t wait to try out some of the recipes from it. Thank you for hosting IMK x

January 6, 2016 at 9:22 pm

I love the IMK posts and this one is no exception! How cool is that spaghetti squash? I’m salivating over that chocolate sauce, I want to make it, but if I make it, resistance will be futile and I will want to eat it all! Hope you are having happy holidays… looking forward to all the deliciousness to come! Especially the CWA recipes 🙂

January 11, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Thanks Sammie, I did help myself to quite a bit of the sauce I have to admit!! So good. x

7. Tania | My Kitchen Stories
    January 6, 2016 at 9:41 pm

So many good things Vicki especially chocolate sauce and chocolate bark. I love the Haloumi and watermelon salad and I love looking at peoples cookbooks.
    Happy new year!

January 11, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Happy New Year to you too Tania, all the chocolate was so good! I’m starting a “cleanse” now though!

8. Maggie
    January 7, 2016 at 2:55 am

Hi Victoria, I love, and am a contributor, to IMK posts. I always look them up even if I don’t get around to posting one myself. They are a lovely way to recap your month but also to get to know other bloggers and food writers even just a little bit.

Your New Year’s Eve party food looks so tasty and while the antipasto platter maybe more robot than Christmas tree, it’s still adorable and I’d devour it. I made lots of cheese boards myself this year but forgot to take any photos :'( grr!

I’m looking forward to the macadamia bark recipe and I’ll have to check out that Bailey’s chocloate sauce! It sounds fabulous.

All the best for 2016 and see you in February!

January 11, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Thanks so much Maggie, I love IMK too, all the best for 2016 to you too.

9. Kari @ bite-sized thoughts
    January 8, 2016 at 5:32 am

That macadamia bark looks amazing! I love the gingerbread house too. Happy new year 🙂

January 11, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Thank you happy new year to you too!

10. Gretchen
    January 9, 2016 at 6:55 am

It all looks so wonderful. I love the tree/robot veg plate. Bailey’s chocolate sauce, sounds dangerous to me. The gingerbread house is fantastic. We never did get our’s made. I got a new cutter for a mini chalet. I’m thinking gingerbread love shacks for Valentine’s Day!

January 11, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Thanks so much. Gingerbread love shacks would be perfect for Valentines Day!

11. peregrinationgourmande
    January 12, 2016 at 5:47 am

Love the IMK posts. I might create some also! can’t wait to see in real your kitchen!
    xx cathy

January 14, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Oh you should Cathy it’s a lovely foodie community. The real kitchen should be all finished when you arrive! Very exciting.

12. Kim | a little lunch
    January 15, 2016 at 3:16 am

Vicki, I love reading your IMK posts… always a pleasure. Your New Year’s Eve repast looks splendid (especially those caramelized onion tarts — and is that Dukkah in the foreground?!) I also didn’t mind if your antipasto Christmas tree looked like a robot — made me smile (and hungry) simultaneously!) As for those chocolate treats… oh my goodness. I never would’ve suspected the main ingredient in the Bailey’s sauce — thanks for the link.

I was curious about your salmon stash, though — do you add water? Microwave? Wish I could get some of those here! That handwritten recipe book is a treasure, as is YOUR lil’ red teapot! 🙂 Thanks for another entertaining delightful post — keep it up! (Please.)

January 15, 2016 at 5:51 am

Thanks so much Kim. I like writing them (and reading yours too!). Yes it’s Dukkah in the front of the photo. The salmon is all ready made just open the can and away you go. I agree the recipe book is a treasure. x

13. Liz
    January 18, 2016 at 6:31 am

I always enjoy your posts and all the rest of the IMK series. It sometimes takes me till months end to read them all but there is such variation in them all. Your New Year’s spread looks wonderful, especially those little tarts. Your Christmas tree made be giggle, I bet it was well received. And, I’ve pinned your watermelon salad for our warm days in 6 months from now. Happy New Year.

January 19, 2016 at 10:04 am

HI Liz, I love all the IMK posts too it’s a lovely community of foodies isn’t it. Happy New year to you too

14. Francesca
    January 19, 2016 at 11:44 am

I love the look of that handwritten recipe book, Vicki, and bet there are quite a few treasures contained in it. It reminds me of my mother’s. Nice touch with the grilled halloumi in the watermelon salad- yum. all your food looks so summery and delectable.

15. sherry from sherrys pickings
    January 25, 2016 at 3:02 pm

now that’s a jar of Nutella! love the chocolate sauce idea. i have recently bought (for a recipe) a bottle of commercial choc sauce which is so disgusting i will have to throw it out so this recipe looks like a great replacement!

January 26, 2016 at 10:15 pm

The chocolate sauce is so good it’s definitely worth making. Thanks so much for stopping by.