In My Kitchen – February 2016

Duck eggs

I really hope that how quickly January went isn’t an indication of what’s going to happen for the rest of the year!  Do you feel the same? The monthly round up of In My Kitchen is here again and it’s been quite an action packed month with renovations, birthdays and return to school preparations.  Can I just say though, that as it’s my first time experiencing a North Queensland summer, the humidity knocks you for six. We are all in a constant clammy state and a bit dopey (well that’s probably just me) from the heat so my culinary efforts have been restricted to when the builders have left for the day and I can shut up the house and pump the air con up.  Minimal time by the oven is the key though!

So In My Kitchen to amuse myself during the school holidays while chopping up the daily pile of fruit for the girls & friends I served it up as Watermelon Pizza’s

Watermelon Pizza

the kids thought it was fun and ate it all!

Now these next ones didn’t quite make it to my kitchen as I had no idea how to use them but they did catch my eye.  Have you ever seen an “Ice Cream Bean” before? The kind farmer cracked (literally cracked, as that is what you do, give it a twist) one open to show us what was inside.

ice cream beans

The black seed almost looks plastic and then it’s covered with a soft flesh that supposedly tastes like ice cream hence it’s name but I’m not convinced on that!

We got Your Weekly Feed back up and running after our blogging break which has been fun and a great source of dinner inspiration. I served up this Roasted Beetroot, Watermelon and Fetta Salad as a nod to Australia Day.

Roasted Beetroot, Watermelon & Fetta Salad

and I also served up an end of the week what’s left in the fridge…

Sweet Potato Spanish Omelette

“Sorta” Spanish Omelette. Perfect for those nights or days when you want to go meat free.  If you have a meal that you would like to link up or share via email to Your Weekly Feed the link up is open from Sunday night to Wednesday night each week and we are loving seeing all the dinner inspiration floating around & hope that you do too.

New to my kitchen is this sweet collection of silver ware.  A local antique shop is closing down so I snapped up some “props”!

vintage finds

I might need to swing by again before it goes.  Sad that it is closing but it’s because they are moving inland rather than going bust so it’s a win/win situation!

Duck eggs

A lovely new friend keeps ducks so I was the lucky recipient of these gorgeous coloured duck eggs. Apparently they are wonderful in cakes so I’m keen to start using them.

Carrot Cake Smoothie Bowl.

I haven’t blogged about these Carrot Cake Smoothie Bowls, as while I liked the taste, the critics were put off by the look of them, something about what comes out of babies bottoms was mentioned so they haven’t passed muster unfortunately.  I might work on my “styling” and try again as they were full of goodness.  The gorgeous spoons were a gift from a lovely friend.  I’m getting quite a collection of pineapples now – best we stay in the tropics for a while!

Pink Paleo Pancakes

It was my eldest girls birthday and for the last few years she has requested “pink pancakes” for breakfast. I was on a post Christmas “cleanse” so I came up with these Pink Paleo Pancakes, grain free, gluten free, dairy free (it’s coconut yoghurt & I used almond milk), egg free & sugar free but they still managed to taste great and the girls had no idea what wasn’t in it! (will write up the recipe soonest).

a festival of birthday cakes

It was also the festival of the cakes, an extended family dinner the night before called for an ice cream cake, her birthday happened to be on the first day of school so both girls decorated cupcakes to take to school & then my attempt at a “garden” cake.  It was so hot & humid and no air con because of the reno that the icing actually melted as I was putting it on!

I hope that next month I can actually do a “reno room reveal”, the end is in sight apparently!  Yay!

If you want a sneaky peek at some other fabulous foodie bloggers kitchens pop on over to Maureen at the Orgasmic Chef to see all the In My Kitchen posts linked up or for a whole raft of blog posts that happen to be blogged on a Tuesday pop on over to Essentially Jess who hosts I Blog on Tuesdays.

What’s been going on in your kitchen this month?  Also too hot to cook in your part of the world? Any ideas of what to do with duck eggs?

48 comments on “In My Kitchen – February 2016

1. mae
    February 2, 2016 at 1:29 am

Hot and humid! This planet is enormous. Wish you could share some of that heat with us.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

February 2, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Isn’t it just and I love how the internet can make it seem so much smaller too. You probably don’t want this heat it’s a bit too much! Thanks so much for stopping by.

2. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    February 2, 2016 at 6:33 am

Oh that silverware! How I love silverware, and the watermelon pizza, that’s such a clever idea! A very busy month indeed. xx

February 2, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I love the silverware too. Pinterest is so good for ideas, I can’t claim it as my own!

3. Amy @ HandbagMafia
    February 2, 2016 at 6:55 am

I’ve not tried duck eggs but I head they are very rich 🙂 Might make a nice custard?

February 2, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Custard is a good idea – will try. I was told that they are not nice fried

4. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
    February 2, 2016 at 8:51 am

I’m swooning over the duck eggs – you lucky woman! The beetroot, watermelon and feta salad has me eager to hit the shop. This salad (at least as best I can copy from a photo!) will be on our dinner table tonight. I love this combination.

Thanks a lot for being part of In My Kitchen!

February 2, 2016 at 1:54 pm

That has made my day thanks Maureen!

5. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    February 2, 2016 at 10:59 am

Ooh that sorta spanish omelette looks great! I know what you mean about the QLD humidity – I couldnt get over it when we were up over Christmas! And yep… umm where on earth did January go?? xx

February 2, 2016 at 1:55 pm

The humidity is something else. I know it went so quickly and now it’s nearly time for you! Exciting.

6. Deb @ inner compass designs
    February 2, 2016 at 11:52 am

The heat and humidity makes cooking such a pain this time of year. I just try to bulk cook when I do (last night I made a heap of chicken shnitzel so there is enough for another dinner now in the freezer – winning!). Looking forward to the carrot cake smoothie bowl recipe xx

February 2, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Bulk cooking is such a good idea will be doing that when this reno is over! I will try again on the carrot cake smoothie bowl just for you!

7. Denyse Whelan Blogs
    February 2, 2016 at 11:59 am

Gosh this was a pretty and tempting post! Loved seeing the food set ups and the various ways in which tropical offerings are different. I too have heard of that icecream plant when I had a holiday at Palm Cove. I loved the area (still do) but unsure I could do the year round thing. Sounds like you are making adjustments though. Love the finds of cutlery! Denyse #teamIBOT

February 2, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I’m not sure I can do the year round thing either. We managed to escape for most of January thank goodness. I’m loving discovering all the tropical finds.

8. Napoli restaurant alert
    February 2, 2016 at 1:45 pm

The salad looks beautiful! All that colour!

9. EssentiallyJess
    February 2, 2016 at 2:23 pm

You’ve been busy!
    I need to do some baking this week. Planning a big cook up tomorrow 🙂

February 3, 2016 at 9:29 am

Have fun on your cook up! x

10. SeattleDee
    February 2, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Your cutlery finds are fabulous props! The watermelon pizza and salad look so colorful and tempting… and I only have to wait 6 months to find some in season. Sigh.

February 3, 2016 at 9:31 am

I love the cutlery too. It probably feels a long way off but will come round quickly I’m sure!

11. Alix @ thebuilderette
    February 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I love a ktichen sink frittata – so good for cleaning out the fridge, pantry and freezer. And it doesn’t even really feel like cooking. That watermelon and feta salad is so pretty – and such a great flavour combo. We had a sweaty Saturday in Sydney – I really couldn’t cope with that all the time. Thank goodness for AC in the bedroom – very lucky.

February 3, 2016 at 9:32 am

I’m not coping at all so off to New Zealand today to escape the heat!!!

12. JF Gibson
    February 2, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Lovely selection! I didn’t do a lot of cooking in January as we were away for a bit, and it was too bloody hot the rest of the time – salads all the way. But I’ve been in the kitchen this week and whipped up a zucchini slice, hedgehog, slow cooked roast beef and a lemon cheesecake so far!

February 3, 2016 at 9:32 am

Oh yum that all sounds delicious (and busy!).

13. Hugzilla
    February 2, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Holy shit watermelon pizza is absolute GENIUS. I am crap in the kitchen but I know I can do this – what an awesome idea! Oh, and I swooned at your antique cutlery. I absolutely adore things with that lovely aged patina.

February 3, 2016 at 9:34 am

You CAN do it & the kids will think you are a genius – I saw it on Pinterest so can’t claim the creative genius as my own! I love the cutlery too. x

14. Jennifer @Milk and Honey
    February 2, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I love duck eggs fried until golden and crispy and the edges, then sprinkled with finely sliced spring onions and red chillies and drizzled with soy sauce.

February 3, 2016 at 9:34 am

That sounds delicious will have to try it out. thanks for the tip.

15. Vanessa
    February 2, 2016 at 8:29 pm

That looks like a great month in the kitchen! I’ve been a bit slack on salads this summer. I should up my game again.

February 3, 2016 at 9:35 am

It’s so hot that salads are all that I’m up for really at the moment!

16. Renee Wilson
    February 2, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Yes, it is very hot and humid here at the moment (Brisbane). We’ve been eating quite a few salads and ice blocks too 🙂 That ice cream plant is so interesting. I’ve never seen anything like that before. The carrot cake smoothie bowls look good too.

February 3, 2016 at 9:35 am

I will have to see what I can do on the carrot cake smoothie bowl, it tasted good! I’m actually in Brisbane today and yes it’s really hot here too!!

17. Kim K Watkinson, The Ninja Baker
    February 3, 2016 at 6:26 am

Your photos are gorgeous, Victoria…Very much want to try the Sorta Spanish Omelet…And your kids are very lucky to have such a creative mom. Love the watermelon pizza….In My Kitchen the temps are cool as I’m in Southern California….But as soon as summer hits, I’d love to replicate your watermelon wonder =) Pinning!

February 3, 2016 at 9:38 am

Thank you Kim. The kids aren’t so happy with some of my “creations” but they are very kind to give me constructive feedback, the watermelon pizza is a hit all round though!

18. stephanie@stephsjoy
    February 3, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Love your new props Vicki! and can wait to see your reno reveals too! As to what to do with duck eggs, I’ve only ever eaten them as scrambled eggs.

February 4, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Steph I will try them as scrambled eggs then too!

19. Francesca
    February 4, 2016 at 6:50 am

The carrot cake breakfast sounds intriguing- don’t listen to your editors. The antique ‘props’ look wonderful and certainly who could resist.

February 4, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Thank you Francesca, you are right I should not listen to my “editors” given that they are 9 & 7 yuck is a common response anyway!

20. Gretchen
    February 4, 2016 at 7:33 am

Loving the antique silverware props, wish I had a good source locally. The watermelon pizza is fantastic, Pinterest is indeed a wonderful place for inspiration. Our summers get very hot and humid too, lots of salads and grilling out.

21. Sandra
    February 5, 2016 at 3:07 pm

I’m with you re the humidity, It’s messing with my Melbourne me bigtime, and I’m only in Brissy. I’d have bought the antique silverware too. I’ve got quite a collection going. Our plain Jane modern stuff might be easy to care for, but it lacks specialness. Looking forward to the kitchen reveal

February 8, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Sandra, hopefully the reveal is very soon! I will find a special spot for the silverware.

22. Shaheen
    February 5, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Lots of loveliness in your kitchen, intrigued by the ice cream beans, never heard of them before and very unlikely that I will ever see them in the UK, I would have snapped up those solver spoons too. I like the look of your carrot smoothie dish, perhaps scattering some seeds and nuts over it may have made it more appealing. I like it regardless.

February 8, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Thanks so much I will take your tips on the carrot smoothie bowl and try it again!

23. Maggie
    February 11, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Hot and humid sounds sticky! We finally are getting some clear days that have a hint of warmth to them now that Spring has arrived (Feb 1st here in Ireland), I think the carrot smoothie dish does not look as unappealing as has been described to you! As Shaheen said, maybe it’s more about scattering something over it but I think the bananas look really well. Your spoons from the antique shop are just gorgeous! And I love the watermelon pizza – I’d have gobbled it down, too!

February 16, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Thanks so much Maggie I will give the smoothie another go.

24. sherry from sherrys pickings
    February 16, 2016 at 6:47 pm

yep way too hot and humid to do much in the kitchen. i am just hoping for a storm tonight but i don’t think we are going to get one. i reckon that banana dish looks okay.:) watermelon is great for this heat. love your spoons.

February 16, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Thanks Sherry, there is not a breath of air here either. Watermelon is the best!

25. Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    February 22, 2016 at 1:02 am

Victoria, I don’t handle heat and humidity well at all, so I wouldn’t even be firing up the stove! Your watermelon pizza and salad look like the way to go!

February 22, 2016 at 11:30 pm

I’m not handling it very well either! Salads all the way this month!