Kitchen Hack #2 Make washed strawberries last longer!

Strawberries

It’s been a while since I shared a kitchen hack (my first one was the easiest, no fuss, no fail way to poach an egg) This kitchen hack is one that my Mum showed me to make washed strawberries last longer.  Why you may ask? Well the whole washing fruit thing is quite time consuming especially when certain people have to have it NOW so this is just another little way to free up some time.

I’ve gotten into the habit of washing the fruit & vegies (this is my DIY fruit & vege wash that I use) as soon as I bring the shopping in so that it’s all done and ready for when we want to eat it (or for packing in school lunches in a rush every morning!).  Maybe you’ve always done that but it’s a relatively recent habit for me, anyways, normally I would never wash the strawberries until just before eating but this way they can be washed and chilling in the fridge for a few days without going soggy. Thanks Mum!

strawberries

So take your punnet of strawberries

strawberries

like I said I’ve got a DIY fruit & vege wash using vinegar to call off bacteria that I use or just run them under the tap.

strawberries

strawberries

strawberries

if you have the smaller punnet you can layer them or just put in another container

strawberries

the kitchen paper absorbs the moisture

strawberries

There you go washed and ready to eat.

As this is quite mundane do you want to see it in a “flipagram” to make it more interesting. I used Sia’s “Cheap Thrills” as the backing music because…cheap thrills! Maybe it will brighten your day.

Do you have another way to keep strawberries fresher for longer?  Any kitchen hacks to share?

16 comments on “Kitchen Hack #2 Make washed strawberries last longer!

1. Renee Wilson
    February 23, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Aren’t you clever?! This seems nice and simple. I must admit that I don’t wash my fruit until someone wants some. I know what you mean about them needing it in a hurry too 🙂 #teamIBOT

February 23, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I only recently started the habit of doing it all in one go

2. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    February 23, 2016 at 2:27 pm

I should be more diligent with washing our fruit, but alas it seems to get forgotten till the last moment. You’ve inspired me to try harder! xx

February 23, 2016 at 9:22 pm

I’ve only recently done it diligently, takes time up front but then no time when you actually want to eat it.

3. Caitlin
    February 23, 2016 at 2:28 pm

I often wash before eating also, but if I do wash I make sure they are dry before returning to the fridge. I find the Tupperware fridge keepers are great for keeping food fresher longer.

February 23, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Those tupperware fridge keepers are great aren’t they I must reclaim mine from the girls pencils!!!

4. Bec @ Seeing the Lighter Side
    February 23, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Oh, good idea! Strawberries don’t last long enough in our house at the moment to worry about this, but I’ll keep it mind for future – my 3yo in particular would eat an entire punnet at one sitting if we let him!

February 23, 2016 at 9:33 pm

We go through them like nothing else too unfortunately by the time they get up to North Queensland though they are nearly at the end of the their shelf life.

February 23, 2016 at 4:19 pm

This is genius! I’ve started soaking our fruit and veggies in water with a bit of cider vinegar and washing and prepping them as soon as I bring them home. It takes a bit of effort but it’s worth it because when we got to eat it, it’s already prepped and feels like a luxurious convenience!

February 23, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I’m the same, short term pain for long term gain!

6. Nadia @ City Mum ~ Rural Life
    February 23, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I’ll have to test it out. Although strawberries are unlikely to even make it into the fridge at the moment!

February 23, 2016 at 9:35 pm

I hear you!

7. Sing-Ki
    February 23, 2016 at 7:30 pm

I wash everything. But with strawberries after I’ve washed and sliced them, I put them in a Tupperware container and sprinkle a little sugar over them. The sugar brings out the juices while they’re in the fridge and if I’ve adding cream or icecream to the strawberries, I pour the juice over the top. Yummy.

February 23, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Oh sounds delicious!

8. Jo @ You had us at hello
    February 24, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Awesome hack! Although strawberries never last long in our house, I have strawberry monsters that gobble them all up in seconds!! Great idea for picnics though, cheers lovely xx

February 25, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, yes perfect for picnics! Unfortunately up here they don’t last long in the shops either and aren’t grown locally (too hot) so we grab them all when we can!