One Bowl Yoghurt Slice

One Bowl Yoghurt Slice

A one bowl Yoghurt Slice that is super easy to make (kids could make it themselves), refined sugar free and perfect for lunch box snacks, morning or afternoon tea. Sounds pretty good right? Well it is!

I took this over to the island on Australia Day to be taste tested and it got the tick of approval from the beach goers, especially then men who were having some sort of mid life crisis moment and thought that giving surf boat rowing after years of inactivity was a good idea! Perhaps it was not! Anyway don’t dwell on that.

Refined Sugar Free Yoghurt Slice

I adapted the recipe for this Yoghurt Slice from Yvonne’s handed down recipe book that I trawled through at Christmas time. Rice Malt Syrup wasn’t really on the CWAs radar back in the day was it, but I thought that there is enough sweetness with the sultanas and apricots so sugar wasn’t also required. The rice malt syrup just gives it an extra sweet touch without it being too much but of course if you don’t mind a bit of sugar stay with the traditional recipe and use 1/2 C raw sugar.

Do you want to know the what and how?  Of course you do, especially as it is so easy….here you go then! (I used a gluten free flour but any SR flour is good including wholemeal).

One Bowl Yoghurt Slice

Ingredients

• 1 C SR flour (I used a GF one)
  • 1 C dessicated coconut (plus some shredded for topping at the end optional) (I use organic because you just get coconut then without the added sulphites)
  • 1/2 C rice malt syrup
  • 1/2 C dried apricots, chopped (I also go organic for these which makes them dark brown but I'd rather that than the added nasties)
  • 1/2 C currants or sultanas
  • 1 C Greek yoghurt

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a lamington tin with baking paper
  2. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well with a fork
  3. Press the mixture into the prepared tin with the back of a spoon.
  4. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until it has turned golden brown and is firm to touch
  5. As soon as you remove it from the oven top with coconut flakes (optional) and allow to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
  6. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days (will be gone quicker than that!)

Old school baking with a 2016 twist! Store in the fridge for about 3 days.

Refined sugar free Yoghurt Slice

Do you try to reduce your sugar intake? Are you always on the look out for lunch box ideas like I am?

20 comments on “One Bowl Yoghurt Slice

February 18, 2016 at 10:28 am

This slice looks so nice! Yoghurt is one of my all time favourite baking ingredients!

February 18, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Sammie. I really like this one and love using yoghurt too – might make another one now I think! x

2. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    February 18, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I always cut the sugar by half the first time and then half again the next time I make the recipe if it’s still too sweet. I’d love a slice (or two) of this with a cuppa but can you imagine what the CWA women back then would think of all our food fads?!

February 18, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I know! They would roll their eyes and laugh at us I’m sure! Hope you are having a nice visit x

3. Belinda @ bindybee
    February 18, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Looks great. Trying to cut down on sugar so will have to give this a try.

February 18, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I’m trying to reduce it too so start by halving it and then see where we go!

4. peregrinationgourmande
    February 19, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I shouldn’t be looking at that now!!! I’m in bed, time to sleep and now I’m hungry!!! xx cathy

February 20, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Ha! There will be lots of Australian delights for you to try!

5. Lisa @ Chocolate Meets Strawberry
    February 21, 2016 at 3:40 pm

This looks incredibly delicious Vicki. I’m down for anything that comes together in one bowl, especially if it’s gluten-free and need so few ingredients to whip up! I’ve been experimenting with adding yoghurt to baked goods lately, too, and I love the tanginess it adds. I definitely do try to keep a lid on my sugar intake. I’m a big fan of using dates, stevia as well as rice malt syrup as you have in this recipe 🙂

February 22, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Thanks Lisa. Yoghurt is great in baked things. I find stevia a bit too sweet but am a fan of dates and RM syrup. I still use sugar as well though but try and look at our intake over the week so that we don’t have too much.

6. michelle
    February 21, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I am always on the lookout for something healthy for the kids lunchboxes that doesn’t boomerang back to me. This looks like it could be a winner 🙂

February 22, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I can’t guarantee that it won’t boomerang because of kid logic but it’s so little effort to make and I’m pretty sure you would like it anyway that it’s worth giving it a try.

7. Leanne @ GetawayGuru
    February 21, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Ohh, I’m always looking for lunch box (and afternoon cup of tea time) inspiration. This looks yummy. Going to give this a go for sure!

February 22, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Oh I hope you like it Leanne. x

8. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    February 22, 2016 at 10:11 pm

I have just been on a bad food and wine binge which I am trying to get out of. Cutting back down my sugar is my target at the moment. No more wine will enter this house for a while…vodka is fine though. 😀

February 22, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Oh same Karin, I’m trying to get back on track hence the slice but I did just buy a drinks trolley which is begging to be used will stick to vodka too then or gin…

9. abigail
    February 26, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I believe yoghurt make’s cakes extra moist.

February 28, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Makes them so nice, I’ve been using it a bit lately.

10. Mei
    April 18, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Hi 🙂 just wondering if there’s a substitute for rice malt syrup?

April 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm

You could try maple syrup or honey but that will give it a stronger flavour.