Book Club is back – what we ate & didn’t read

Book Club Food Sweet & Savoury

Do you like reading books?  Do you like book reviews? Do you remember my “Book Club – what we read & what we ate series”? I haven’t done one since we moved because a). no friends to do it with, (wah) b). the never ending renovation c). too hot to form a cohesive thought but now I’ve made some lovely new friends, the reno is finished and it’s cooled down a tiny bit so my reading and socialising mojo is back!! Thank goodness for that, right!

Last week was the inaugural, newly formed “book club”,  except as it was our first “book club” it was really more about new friends, wine, food, and wine again than books!  The book we will be reading, (I already have on holiday, but as I was hosting I got to pick!) is “All the Light We Can not See” by Anthony Doerr (it’s really good so if you want to read along with us it’s worth it)!

all the light we can not see

There were at least 5 other people sitting around the pool when we were on holidays reading it and we were all loving it (including my Mum!), it warranted pool side discussions over cocktails so there’s an endorsement for you.

Some of the other books I’ve read lately are in the middle of reading or am about to read next are these ones. Have you read any of them? Thoughts?

Pile of Books!

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden is a quirky, entertaining read, it’s funny in the ridiculous things that go on.  For something a little bit different it’s worth the read.  Harvesting the Heart I’d say is a good holiday read, doesn’t require much though but keeps you engrossed to find out what happens next, the main characters are slightly frustrating though.  I’m half way through The Signature of All Things and so far I’m enjoying it, it’s the first novel of Elizabeth Gilberts that I’ve read having also just finished Big Magic (I can’t remember who I have lent it to, anyone?!) which had some valid points and I’ve taken on board her thoughts about creative ideas flying around waiting to be caught. I’ve caught one that I’m working really hard on at the moment but that’s got nothing to do with book club so moving on… I’ve yet to start The Lake House. All these books can be bought through here.

As like the actual book club the other night, this post isn’t going to have much discussion of books today (next one in 6 weeks will have a proper review I promise) but it’s all about what we ate okay?  Now remember these are new friends I had over so I kind of wanted to impress…

Book club food

so I made my own crackers!  Yep, I did but I Thermomixed Donna Hay’s recipe for Rosemary Chia & Parmesan Crackers (from the latest Fresh & Light Mag, gluten, dairy & grain free) as the last attempt of doing my own creation nearly broke my tooth and that wouldn’t be a good thing to happen to a new friend (or anyone really!) would it!  The crackers were a hit, will be making them again and will share the Thermo version.

Book Club Food

My current cheese craze is for White Costello but I had to also include my pregnancy craving favourite of Mersey Valley (no I’m not pregnant now but I did used to go through a block every 2 days when I was!), the other one I love at the moment is Manchego and I picked this one up from a fabulous Italian deli in little town called Ayr an hour away from here.

That was the savoury for the sweet I pulled out my “go to” when people are coming over and I don’t have much time.

Lemon curd tartlets Book club food

You take Almond Biscotti, the thin ones, I can never make them so thin so I buy them (the biscotti I do make is this Christmas one that I usually gift people), some fresh ricotta, a dollop of lemon curd (I use this Thermomix recipe from Seana Smith) but it’s ok if you buy a nice one too, topped with a berry.  It’s a sweet taste sensation.  Excess lemon curd goes beautifully in little tartlets and no I didn’t make them myself!  There was also chocolate, obviously!

Book club drink buddies

It was nice to be able to have some real life drink buddies to share the evening with rather than Mitch, Josh, Cody and Brad (a farewell present from my Sydney friends).

A successful book club

I think it’s okay to say that the first new book club was a success and we are going to do it again AND read the book!

This post contains some affiliate links which doesn’t have any impact on you whatsoever but if you do purchase a book or some wine through them I get a small commission which may keep me in beverages while I read!!

Do you like to read? Are you in a “book club”? Read any good books lately?

You May Also Like

22 comments on “Book Club is back – what we ate & didn’t read

1. erin
    May 31, 2016 at 12:30 am

Your book club sounds (and looks!) so much fun! It must be nice to be getting back into the swing of things and settling in well after your move 🙂 I have All the Light We Cannot See sitting on my bookshelf right now! My current reading goal, though, is to read only female authors this year, so Anthony Doerr will have to wait a few months 😉 One book that I’ve really loved recently is called Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Everyone I work with either have read it, or are in the process. It’s SO good!

Erin

May 31, 2016 at 9:16 pm

I like your reading goal for the year. I loved Me before you as well – I must read After You soon too!

2. Caitlin
    May 31, 2016 at 7:02 am

I love my bookclub!!! Unfortunately we always seem so busy of late that the get togethers always seem to be me plus one. I’m the hostess, so I guess that’s why I’m always the consisent. In any case, it’s lovely talking books and life whether with a group or one on one. The Lake House is the latest that I’ve started. Before that The Dressmaker was my last read – great book. Middlemarch was my last bookclub read. I missed three months of books on the list, it took me that long to finish it! Your snacks look yum. Home made crackers are very impressive!

May 31, 2016 at 11:14 am

Thanks Caitlin. I’m looking forward to getting into the Lake House. It’s a shame how life gets in the way of get togethers isn’t it!

3. Bel
    May 31, 2016 at 7:25 am

Ok you need to give me your secret tips for keeping your Bookclub up and running because it sounds awesome (even if this is the first one with your new group, you sound like you know what you’re talking about!)! I started a bookclub with some friends last year and it goes through lots of fizzling stages (we have even called ourselves The Ladies of the Dying Bookclun now lol)

May 31, 2016 at 11:17 am

I’m hoping this one stays the course as it was fun, wine helps but it is hard when life gets in the way too. We’ve made it every 6 weeks so that it’s achievable and rotate the hosting, taking it out to dinner sometimes is also good for keeping the momentum alive!

4. Hugzilla
    May 31, 2016 at 10:29 am

OMG I always wanted to be in a book club and now I REALLY want to be in a book club. Who knew they were this awesome?!

May 31, 2016 at 11:18 am

The book is secondary to the wine!! The trick is it’s not allowed to be serious!

5. Nicole @ The Builders Wife
    May 31, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Will it be ok, if I just fly up for each of your book club meetings? Not sure I have time to read the book, but I certainly up for a few wines and all that tasty food. 🙂 xx

May 31, 2016 at 9:19 pm

You are welcome any time my friend. In my last book club one girl never read any of the books but came to all the “meetings” anyway – this is not a very serious bookclub but it’s fun!

6. JF Gibson
    May 31, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Oh that food is making me hungry! I’m in a virtual book club, which is great, but it’s BYO 😉

May 31, 2016 at 9:22 pm

A virtual book club is a great idea at leat you can do it in your PJ’s!

7. Deborah
    May 31, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Okay… so I wanna join your bookclub. Just for the food and wine!

I blog about books but miss popular reads every so often and the Doerr book is one of those and I really must try to catch up on it at some point!

May 31, 2016 at 9:26 pm

You would be very welcome. It’s a very good book, I do recommend it.

8. Sarah @sarahdipity
    May 31, 2016 at 6:15 pm

I’ve had ‘All the light we cannot see’ sitting on my bookshelf do a year now…I think the size of it is scaring me off ha! I’d really like to read ‘The signature of all things’ as I’ve heard it’s great and I’m a big Liz Gilbert fan. I recently read ‘The Perfect Girl’ and loved it, would highly recommend it.

9. EssentiallyJess
    May 31, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I want to come to your book clubs! I have some of those books sitting next to my bed.

June 1, 2016 at 9:51 pm

We’d love to have you! x

10. Gail
    June 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Well I started reading your post, then quickly had to google “lemon curd tartlets recipe”. I have now wasted time reading recipes and still can’t decide which one to make!! I would love to know how you started your Book Club and where you found your members. I would also love to start a Book Club but not a “serious” one, just an exchange of ideas on what to read etc. I would love to join yours. I have only last night finished Caroline Overington’s “The One Who Got Away”. Loved it. Love your blog too.

June 3, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Thanks so much for the blog love, it’s a labour of love that’s for sure! Food on the internet does that to you doesn’t it – I seem to lose hours at a time! With the book club as I’m new to town I sounded a few people I’ve become friends with out out and then said everyone should ask one other person each too. I think we’ve got more who want to join now as well so the next one might be quite loud! I just had to Google your book to see what it was about – see how time just slips!!! Have added it to my to read list now.

11. sherry from sherrys pickings
    June 30, 2016 at 7:26 pm

i liked the girl who saved the king of sweden tho i prefer the other book of his – the 100 year old man…..so much fun.

June 30, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I have yet to read that one, it’s on my list though!