Peregrination Gourmande’s review of our “Pineapple House”

Pineapple House Deck

Back in February we were delighted to have a visit, all the way from France, from my blogging friend Cathy of Peregrination Gourmande and her gorgeous daughter.  We had never met in real life and they took a leap of faith to come to Townsville, North Queensland, in the hottest month of the year in the hottest summer they have had apparently for 30 years!  When we arranged it I had no idea how hot, hot could really be!!! Man, it was hot!  Have I mentioned that before!?!

Today, Cathy has written a “guest” (in every sense of the word) post about their stay, our house that they have dubbed “The Pineapple House” and shared some of the photo’s she took too (I’m blushing at the kind words).  On Peregrination Gourmande, Cathy has written a travel review of the snippet of Townsville they experienced while they were here. Good news is that the whole family will be back in August for an altogether different experience when it’s a few degrees cooler and hopefully no humidity!

Our stay in the Pineapple House*

While we were travelling through Australia, we had the chance to be invited to stay for a few days at the Pineapple House. This house is a traditional old home located in Townsville.

Pineapple House Deck

When we arrived in Townsville, Vicki and the girls were waiting for us at the airport. It was an immediate friendship leaving virtual world to real world. I met Vicki thanks to blogging. She is this amazing classy lady with absolutely beautiful tastes (food, fashion, home styling). We have almost the same handbag haha !

Tropical living at the Pineapple House

Big girl was so happy to meet and play with Vicki’s daughters. They spent hours in the pool playing mermaids.

Flamingo in the Pineapple House

The Frenchy girl even had the opportunity to visit and stay at the Aussies girls school ! How cool is that!

Pineapple Cake Stand

Vicki loves pineapples. And they are all very pretty and perfectly arranged in this tropical house. My big girl made up a game counting them. She had found something like 25. Or 42 with cutlery and cooking accessories. But Vicki’s daughters found 22… What a fun game! (more have appeared since their visit!)

Pineapple House pineapples

As you might have read here and here, the Pineapple House has been completly renovated. Vicki did a great job choosing the style of the reno. (Thank you, nearly there!)

In the kitchen, we had the pleasure to make a special Anzac slice together.

Making ANZAC slice

I had a nice look at my friend cookbooks in that comfy couch. (I need some help deciding what to put on the right wall, any suggestions?!)

The Pineapple House

I lost my crown ring by the pool, but hopefully, Vicki found it ! (I have, yay!)

The Pineapple House

We had 3 nights, sleeping in the guest room. It’s really gorgeous.

Guest bedroom

This is my second time of homestyling photography. This was a very good opportunity and I can’t wait to see the house totally finished and take more pics. (Neither can I!)

Entrance to the Pineapple House

Mirrored entrance way

My favorite picture is this one. This corner is particularly beautiful but somehow, Vicki found that peacock feathers could bring bad luck in the house so she removed them. Do you believe in superstitions? (so many weirdly bizzare things were going wrong with the reno that I didn’t want to chance it so I returned them to nature! Replaced with tropical greenery and birds of paradise flowers now!).

We really enjoyed our stay and hope to be lucky enough to come back ! Thanks a lot Vicki for this great moment and shared friendship and food.

Thank you Cathy!  When online friendships become real life ones it makes all the behind the scenes hard work of blogging really worth while. It’s also lovely to see our house through someone else’s eyes. To see more of what Cathy does on Peregrination Gourmande a blog about food, travel and family you can find her at the website here, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.  Her travel photography is especially amazing and as a trained pastry chef (and psychologist) her recipes are out of this world.

Have you renovated lately? Do you like pineapples? Met any friends online that turn out to be real life gems?

25 comments on “Peregrination Gourmande’s review of our “Pineapple House”

May 24, 2016 at 7:01 am

I loved seeing your house through Cathy’s eyes, and yes, you’re right, she’s very clever with a camera! Meeting online friends in real life is such fun! And when it comes to gems, Cathy is an absolute diamond!

• peregrinationgourmande
      May 24, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Big yeah to blogging Magic!!! My people still can’t believe this !!! But that’s blooging world! Ok I’m taking the compliment about the photography (I need this now, just in a swamp about my creativity! ) xx cathy

2. Amy @ Handbagma
    May 24, 2016 at 7:26 am

What a gorgeous home you have! I’ve made some awesome friends online, I’m very lucky!

May 24, 2016 at 11:10 am

Thank you Amy it has been blood, sweat and tears, literally! The friendships have been the unexpected upside of this blogging caper, I’m especially appreciative now that I’m in a new town not really knowing many people yet.

3. Lydia C. Lee
    May 24, 2016 at 8:08 am

Lovely!!

May 24, 2016 at 11:10 am

Thank you!

4. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    May 24, 2016 at 9:10 am

Two gorgeous ladies in a stunning home! Love that you had the opportunity to meet and share your amazing home. Also loved the little extra look into your home, a few corners I had not seen. For your wall in the lounge, why not a gallery wall with all those frames you have leaning against the wall?

May 24, 2016 at 11:16 am

Thanks Nicole. I need to do some more “room reveal” posts but I’m waiting for the dust to settle!! I’ve used quite of few of the stacked frames in the new stair well & made that like a gallery wall (will do photo’s soon). I was wondering if a big rectangular mirror to reflect the light plus a couple of pictures or I have or I’ve seen a big blue painting I like but no budget left but I’m searching around local artists too. It’s the last wall to finish then we are done – I think!!!

• peregrinationgourmande
        May 24, 2016 at 5:42 pm

I’m with Nicole about the wall. Your living room is so bright that it doesn’t really need extra light. Or a big painting yeah!
        cathy

5. Ashlea | Glamour Coastal Living
    May 24, 2016 at 11:16 am

Loved seeing more of your home – how stunning and QLDer is it! What a beautiful living space, that lounge looks so comfy and all those treasures on the wall.wow! xx

6. Bec Senyard
    May 24, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Vicki, your house is beautiful and I could imagine you being an amazing host. I reckon you should have a gallery wall on that right wall. We have one in our house and I LOVE it. I get to see all my favourite art memories in the one place. x

7. Veggie Mama
    May 24, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Your house is aweeeesome! I’m coming to stay next.

May 24, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Thanks lovely the door is always open

8. Min@WriteoftheMiddle
    May 24, 2016 at 4:24 pm

What a fabulous post and gorgeous house!! Fantastic photo’s too Cathy! 🙂

• peregrinationgourmande
      May 24, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Thanks dear! xx cathy

May 24, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Cathy is a great photographer and a rather lovely house guest too!

9. peregrinationgourmande
    May 24, 2016 at 5:46 pm

When the feathers were gone… tell me secretly… did the problems stop? That would be so funny crazy, wouldn’t that?
    That’s exactly what I’m telling myself all the time, go on with the blogging! If you haven’t started, you probably wouldn’t have gone travelling in Australia ALONE with your daughter! That’s my inner conversation. So the real benefit is friendship and an opening for creativity. That’s when the technical part is not going crazy haha!
    xx cathy

May 24, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Well … yes! Except the builder got really sick!I’m so glad that blogging gave you the opportunity to visit us x

10. EssentiallyJess
    May 24, 2016 at 8:47 pm

So how many pineapples are there! I’m intrigued now. 🙂
    I had never heard that about peacock feathers either. They are so pretty.
    Your house is looking fantastic Vicki. You’ve done such a great job.

May 28, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Ok just counted and there are 24 on display but that is including 8 hooks so it’s not totally over the top pineapple fever (!) but then there are 9 more spoons and knives on top of that!!! Probably enough now.

11. Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    May 25, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Such a beautiful house and perfect for sunny Townsville. I love, love, love that side table with or without the peacock feathers. How nice is it to find such friends online. x

May 28, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Thank you Karin. The side table is my favourite too – Will have to make sure it fits into any future houses as well!

12. Jo @ You had us at hello
    May 26, 2016 at 5:07 pm

I looooooove your house Vicki! What a stellar job you’ve done making it your home. I am blown away by the wonderful friendships made online. Looking forward to catching up with more at PB this year and of course meeting Cathy in September when she comes to WA for a farm stay. I better get cracking with my reno’s 😉 xx

May 28, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Jo – Gosh I didn’t realise Cathy was also staying with you too – she is so lovely and they will certainly have seen all of Australia by the end of their trip!