In My Kitchen May 2016

Pink Soup

Pink Soup, my adaptation of Deliciously Ella’s

Hi there, how was your month?  I’m back again with the monthly round up of In My Kitchen where I link up with other foodie bloggers from around the world and share what has been going on in our kitchens.  It has actually been a bit quieter in the BE&S kitchen recently due to being away to celebrate my Mum’s birthday and then being really ill with the flu and then away again for our 10th wedding anniversary so a lot of this post is actually not in my own kitchen but from kitchens far afield!

Private Dining Fiji

My lovely Mum very kindly and generously took the entire family away to Fiji to celebrate a milestone birthday (I wrote about it here) to mark the actual day we had a private dinner on the beach just for the adults which made us all feel a bit special – looks like a postcard doesn’t it but it really happened!  The kind people at the resort made not one …

Mums birthday cake1

not two …

Mums birthday cake 2

but three

Mums birthday cake

desserts!  The third being at breakfast so the kids could be part of it and in fact the entire restaurant and staff sang happy birthday.  Mum’s name is Sally by the way if you hadn’t picked up on that!!  It was fabulous to be able to celebrate her birthday all together as none of us live in the same place, it was a real family reunion too.  The English contingent enjoyed the heat and we from North Queensland were bemused that a tropical island holiday was a cooler relief than normal!

After Fiji and before I got struck with the flu (I’d never had it before and wouldn’t wish it on anyone – hideous) I did start on some super healthy dinners for some “clean” eating after the holiday like this Beef Meatballs & Quinoa.

Beef Meatballs & Quinoa

Unfortunately I was the only one in the family who actually liked it!! The others were put off by it’s looks, I don’t know why, ha! Will leave that to your imagination!!! I’m sure if I used white quinoa rather than the tricolour there may have been more enthusiasm because they are meatballs after all but I will notch that one up as a taste test fail! I won’t inflict the recipe onto you either as there’s only so much rejection a person can take!

Finding the positive in the situation I have had that blue bowl in the photo for about 25 years. It was one of the first homewares I bought when I first moved out of home, I can’t believe it’s still going!  I think it was just when Country Road first introduced homewares too, now that’s going back in time!

We, of course, had Anzac Day during April and luckily I made this Lemon Iced Anzac Slice before I got sick as we had visitors staying and there was literally nothing else in the kitchen. Unlike the the Meatballs & Quinoa it’s a winner and a lunch box favourite too. The pets are representing both countries!

Lemon Iced Anzac Slice

I also needed to leave something for the girls lunch boxes when we went to Sydney for a few days (after I got better)

Chewy Apple Banana Oat Cookes - Thermomix

so I whipped up these Chewy Apple Banana Oat Cookies which should probably be called flat cakes because of the consistency but that doesn’t sound so good does it!

In Sydney we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary.  We got married in Manly so we headed off to Manly on the ferry for a long lunch

Champagne time

and of course the essential champagne! I also used the opportunity to catch up with some special girlfriends for another long lunch

Table scape

It was a lovely catch up and just so you know that I’m not an actual jetsetting rockstar and (even though I am in my dreams) my life isn’t all about table settings and restaurants on my return it was straight back into…

lunch boxes

the dreaded lunch boxes and that Lemon Pound Cake didn’t rise but they got it anyway, must find my cooking mojo somewhere!

Maureen of The Orgasmic Chef hosts In My Kitchen each month where foodies from around the world share snippets of their kitchen life, there’s always something interesting to find there.

Because it’s Tuesday I’m also linking in with Essentially Jess #IBOT where loads of bloggers also post really interesting articles that might tickle your fancy too.

20 comments on “In My Kitchen May 2016

1. mae
    May 10, 2016 at 3:00 am

Too bad nobody liked your meatballs! But everything else looks very good.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

May 10, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I made the meatballs again this time with the quinoa inside and they all wolfed them down!! thanks for stopping by Mae.

2. Napoli Restaurant Alert
    May 10, 2016 at 6:09 am

Happy 10th wedding anniversary! Glad to hear you are on the mend. The colour of that pink soup is amazing.

May 10, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Thank you. The soup tasted amazing too – I think it will be a regular from now on. Thanks for stopping by

May 10, 2016 at 6:52 am

What a fun month (apart from the flu, of course!) Looks like a very merry time was had by all – so much to celebrate! I don’t know what your taste testers are on about, your meatballs look amazeballs!

May 10, 2016 at 1:10 pm

The critics are tough in this part of the world! There were lots of celebrations it seems very quiet now! xx

4. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    May 10, 2016 at 9:33 am

Oh my gosh I need to try your lemon iced ANZAC slice. Yum!! Wow that pink soup looks amazing!!! How are you going settling back into reality after your holiday!?

May 10, 2016 at 1:11 pm

The pink soup is the business it does seem a bit quiet now that things are back to normal and the reno should be finished today too – will have to refocus on the blog properly now, no excuses!!x

5. Kim @Landofzonkt
    May 10, 2016 at 2:35 pm

It’s been crazy town for you my dear.
    You poor thing I don’t envy the flu. I’ve never had it either just head colds & infections but not an actual flu.
    Touch wood!
    See country road dinnerware never goes out of fashion.
    Kids are so visual, don’t feel alone this happens to be often.
    My kids won’t even eats sweet potato because it doesn’t look like normal potato. Go figure!
    Ps where are all the house pics! I want to see ?

May 12, 2016 at 1:29 pm

House pic coming soon – just finding the time to write the blog posts!! x

6. Kathy
    May 10, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Vicki – I’ll go off and read your post on Fiji. Guess where we’re heading in June for my Mum’s 70th – can’t wait. It is an island called Malolo and like your Mum, my parents are shouting all the family. Hoping to stay clear of the flu though. And for what it’s worth I reckon those healthy meatballs would taste great.

May 12, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Oh yay! I love the parents taking the whole family on holiday trend! Very spoilt aren’t we. Fiji is fab so easy for everyone. happy birthday to your Mum for June!

7. peregrinationgourmande
    May 11, 2016 at 1:23 am

Well… those meatballs color… strange! I guess why the girls could not eat that! haha. But I could. Love meatballs!!!! plus quinoa, perfect! Could you please stop being so annoying with your Fidji’s pictures??? Hahaha! lots of love and pineapples from my kitchen to yours.
    xx cathy

May 12, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Ha will stop with the Fiji pictures and will move onto the pineapples! x

8. Lori
    May 11, 2016 at 10:58 am

Wow dinner in Fiji on the beach sounds like a dream, how amazing was that!! I have to make those lemon iced Anzac squares.

May 12, 2016 at 1:35 pm

It was amazing, we were very lucky. the Anzac slice is an all time favourite.

9. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    May 11, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Ohhh you were in Manly and I didnt get to see you – wahhhhhhhh. How gorgeous is your mum though taking your guys to Fiji. Dang I love that place xx

May 12, 2016 at 1:35 pm

I know, it was a flying visit but next time, next time for sure – just don’t know when that is, but soon!!! Mum is a star we are very lucky and Fiji is such an easy holiday for everyone. x

10. sherry from sherrys pickings
    May 26, 2016 at 3:00 pm

a shame about the meatballs but never mind, we all get it wrong sometime. but did they taste okay?:) how lovely to all get together in fiji for your mum’s birthday. it looks just lovely. and congrats on the wedding anniversary. it seems harder and harder for people to stay together these days so – well done!

May 28, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Thank you Sherry – I liked the meatballs at least and thanks on the wedding anniversary congrats too – it’s not always easy but I hope we are in it for the long haul!