In My Kitchen – June 2016

Peach Blossoms on Boiled Eggs & Soldiers

I have just been looking through photo’s of all the things that were going on In My Kitchen in May as it’s that time again for the monthly round up. On reflection my kitchen saw a lot of action!

In My Kitchen were the “Peach Blossoms” in the photo above.  I bought them at the fete at the the girls school. I had never heard of the them before but apparently they are famous in these parts and when I shared the photo on Facebook there was a great discussion about how they are made – there is no peach involved whatsoever!  They are little sponges rolled in jelly crystals and coconut with cream in the middle and they are decadently delicious as well as being pretty. To think I nearly didn’t buy them because I don’t like peaches!  Have you heard of them before?

Growers Market Haul

In My Kitchen was my weekly haul from the local growers markets.  One of the benefits of living in the tropics is the selection of exotic and interesting produce. Starfruit, dragonfruit & rambutans were still in abundance well into May & avocados are in season all year round. A clever lady has a stall where she sells her Kokedamas – a Japanese way of wrapping plants up in a ball of twine, I’ve started a collection of them now, in my kitchen!  See that yellow melon in the back of the photo? Well Farmer Fred (that IS his name) has created this hybrid himself and is waiting for it to be given an official name.

Farmer Fred's Melon

Apparently you have to register any new type of food and then the government body (not sure which one) names it. This one tastes like a sweet rockmelon, I’m not normally a rockmelon fan but this, I loved. I’m naming it Farmer Fred’s Marvellous Melon because I think Farmer Fred should get naming rights, don’t you?

Chai Spiced Carrot Cake by Boiled Eggs & Soldiers

We had some of GT’s family around on Mothers Day for afternoon tea and it was one of his Aunt’s birthday so amongst the delights of the afternoon was this Chai Spiced Carrot Cake that’s gluten and refined sugar free. I hadn’t made it since Mothers Day two years before so it was worth trawling through the blog archives to find the recipe! (Don’t worry there were lots of other properly sweet treats too!)

Orla Kiely Cake Tins

In My Kitchen were some fabulously retro Orla Kiely Cake tins a lovely friend gave me as a thank you present for having them to stay.

Pear & Brasil Nut Cake and Matcha Popcorn

In My Kitchen was the Donna Hay “Fresh & Light” Magazine so I tried out some recipes from it.  The Pear & Brasil Nut (gluten free) Loaf was a winner. The Matcha & Lime Popcorn not so much!

Chicken Bone Broth

In My Kitchen was my Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth that I used in Straciatella and all the other soups I’ve been cooking up lately including this Leek, Cauliflower & Chicken Soup, a quick and easy favourite of mine.

Leek Cauliflower and Chicken Soup

In My Kitchen was my first “book club” since moving up here, I wrote a post about what we ate and didn’t actually read!

Book Club Food Sweet & Savoury

In My Kitchen was a morning tea with some Mums from school but my Apple, Cranberry & Green Tea Loaf didn’t rise like it was supposed to and normally does, so…

When a cake fails to rise turn it into a slice - tip from Boiled Eggs & Soldiers

I cut it up and called it a slice!!

In My Kitchen was a biscuit bonanza when I revisited an old recipe for Jaffa Cookies.

Jaffa Cookies by Boiled Eggs & Soldiers

I could go on but that’s probably enough!

I join in with a group of fabulous foodies from around the world who share each month what has been going on in their kitchens.  It’s kindly hosted by Maureen, The Orgasmic Chef, pop on over to take a peek into the delights of other people’s kitchens too.

Also because it’s Tuesday I’m linking in with #IBOT (I blog on Tuesdays) on Essentially Jess.

What’s has been going on in your kitchen this month?

You May Also Like

26 comments on “In My Kitchen – June 2016

1. Ingrid @ Fabulous and Fun Life
    June 7, 2016 at 8:01 am

Your kitchen is a lot more interesting and yummy than my kitchen!

I’ve never heard of Peach Blossoms before but if I ever see them around here I’ll snap some up. My kids would love them!

June 9, 2016 at 10:09 pm

My kids devoured them and to think I nearly didn’t get them because of the name!!

2. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
    June 7, 2016 at 11:52 am

I’m making your leek, chicken and cauliflower soup tonight!!! It’s cold here so just what we need! Oh my gosh – I just got so excited when I saw the jelly cakes photo… I haven’t had one in years!!!! Must, must do that! How’s book club? I always think it would be good motivation to join one (and then maybe I’d actually get around to reading a book). Either that, or I’d just go for a glass of wine and a chat lol!

June 9, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Glass of wine and chat is the main thing that happens in book club. It was a good way of getting out and making myself read something other than trashy mags after having babies (it took a few years though)! I hope you like the soup. x

3. Hugzilla
    June 7, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Those retro tins are so cool!! And thanks for making me super-hungry. I could fall face first into all of that (particularly those peach blossoms).

June 9, 2016 at 10:10 pm

They are cool tins aren’t they – I know, those peach blossoms!!

4. Natalie @ our parallel connection
    June 7, 2016 at 6:07 pm

I want to be in your kitchen. Home made broth is not something I think I am capable of but during these cold winter months, would be so beneficial #teamIBOT

June 9, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I didn’t ever see myself making home made broth either but it’s so easy, makes soups extra tasty. x

5. Lisa
    June 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Ok I am moving across the country to taste test all those yummy baking recipes! Is broth the same as stock? If so, I make it as I go. The peach blossoms, I think we just call them pink lamingtons or jelly cakes (if made with jelly crystals) in Western Australia. Anyway, you have inspired me to get back to the kitchen. Thanks x

June 9, 2016 at 10:13 pm

They way I make it is pretty much the same as stock just called bone broth because of the leaching of the minerals out of the bones using apple cider vinegar. Ok so jelly cakes must be the WA name and peach blossoms the QLD and as I’m from NSW and had never heard of them I’m thinking I missed out on a childhood delicacy!

6. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    June 7, 2016 at 9:51 pm

I’ve never heard of peach blossoms before but they look like lamingtons – without the chocolate. They sounds delicious either way. Vicki – the view out of your kitchen window is phenomenal – it looks like you live in the jungle!

June 9, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I hadn’t either, they must be a QLD and WA thing! Jungle is one way to describe where we live – the last frontier could be another, today I had a dive bombing parakeet that didn’t end well for the bird unfortunately (too much palm tree nectar sent it loopy I think, I’m not joking), there were sharks at the beach 20 meters off the shore and the airforce was doing fly byes very low to the ground and very loudly. It was all a bit surreal but never dull!!!

7. JF Gibson
    June 7, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Ooh I love those cake tins!! I’ve been enjoying getting back into the kitchen now we are settled in. I’ve made slices, cakes, biscuits. And some new experimental meals.

June 9, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Would love to know how your experimental meals turned out. I’m so glad you are all settled now and can leave the move behind you.

8. Nicole @ The Builders Wife
    June 8, 2016 at 9:14 am

So many delicious delights? Wish we were neighbours 🙂

June 9, 2016 at 10:19 pm

That would be fun!

9. Haidee
    June 8, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Yum! Not much going on in my kitchen this month but there will be later in June when it comes time to design and make my sons 5th birthday cake! Your kitchen is gorgeous! Love the bright splashes of colour. #TeamIBOT

June 9, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Thank you, can’t wait to see what you come up with for the birthday cake.

10. SeattleDee
    June 11, 2016 at 3:55 am

Never heard of Peach Blossoms OR jelly cakes, but it’s definitely time to search out one or the other. The photo alone brings anticipation and a smile.

June 13, 2016 at 9:18 pm

They are so pretty aren’t they, thanks so much for stopping by.

11. Miss food Fairy
    June 15, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Those peach blossom cakes look delicious Vicky, I would have snapped them up quickly too! They look like a pink lamington, I wonder if you could do a peach syrup when coating them in coconut to give a peach flavour. How good is making your own stocks!? Perfect for making everything at this time of year 🙂 Love those retro cake tins too, great colours. Great goodies for IMK this month, see you soon x

June 16, 2016 at 11:43 am

Thank you so much. Maybe rather than the pink jelly crystal you could use peach flavoured ones too!?

12. cathie
    June 24, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Wow, what a great roundup! your kitchen has definitely been busy AND colourful!
    I have never tried jelly cakes, they do look like pink lamingtons.

Have a great weekend, school holidays for us as of this afternoon…yippee

June 26, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Thank you. The jelly cakes are delicious, we are on school holidays too!

13. sherry from sherrys pickings
    June 30, 2016 at 7:23 pm

so many lovely things in your lovely kitchen this month – well last month!:) i haven’t heard of peach blossoms either but they look and sound divine. perhaps it is an italian thing as there are so many italians up north? your retro tins are just so cute. yum to jaffa biscuits. good old farmer fred:)

June 30, 2016 at 10:00 pm

People have also named the peach blossoms jelly cakes so I think it depends what region you are from – I hadn’t heard of either! There are lots of Italians up here (the coffee is good!). Thanks so much for stopping by.