Book Club – We read “Room” we ate … well & had a guest author!

Book Club "Room" by Emma Donoghue

It was my turn to host “Book Club” this month. We read “Room” by Emma Donoghue and I tried out some healthier takes on party food on the ladies too. We were also honoured with a guest author, Kathryn Wiseman, who’s book, “Hiding in the Shade” we are reading next.  It was all happening in the ‘burbs of Townsville last week I tell you!!

If you have been following along my “Book Club” posts you will have gathered that ours is not one that is really about the books & more wine label reading goes on than book reading. Speaking of which…

pretty wine labels

How pretty is this one that one of the girls brought along? It’s almost too pretty to open, almost!

Onto the book now. Have you read “Room”? Seen the movie? A few of us actually did read the book this month so there was some discussion on it.

The topic of the book is quite dark, a Mother & child held prisoner in a room but the story is written from the point of view of the child, Jack,  who is 5 and has never known anything different. The is not much detail on the dark side so it’s left to your imagination which I think makes reading the book a bit easier as you don’t have to go there if you don’t want to.  Some of us had to read the book all at once and for some others it lead to disturbed sleep & nightmares. I found myself waking up in the middle of the night thinking about it and having to switch on the light at 3am and read more!

Coming from a 5 year olds perspective who has never been outside “Room” definitely gave pause for thought, “Ma” was certainly creative in how she kept them entertained & educated. For “Ma” “Room” was a prison which she couldn’t wait to get out of but for Jack it was his entire world.  I don’t want to spoil it for those who are going to read it but the writer has thought through many details about what life would be like in a confined room and then what happens when you get out into a world you knew nothing about it.

Some may be a bit frustrated at the style of writing as it uses 5 year old language but it is a compelling read & a good one for a book club discussion.  I’m not sure I’d bother to watch the movie (the one of us who did, didn’t rate it highly) but I do (others wouldn’t) recommend “Room” by Emma Donoghue  if you want to read something that sticks with you and makes you think about concepts that would never normally cross your mind.

On a lighter note, Book Club food!

We had the usual dips and cheeses, wine and champagne and I made…

Cauliflower Pizza

Cauliflower Pizza bases – my recipe is here I doubled the quantities to feed 18(! it was a big gathering this time because we had a real life author talking to us too, read on to find more about that). The base can be made earlier and then just bake the topping when ready to eat.

For dessert, another healthier delight from a Donna Hay “Fresh & Light” recipe,  Carrot Cheese Cake – a carrot cake base, (low in sugar & using spelt flour)  & cheese cake top with a pecan praline to sweeten it up.

Carrot Cheese Cake

It was yum. This was followed with chocolates of course because you know everything in moderation!!

We did stop all the chatter at one point to listen to the lovely Kathryn Wiseman tell us how she came to be living in Townsville, from South Africa, and go from being a doctor to a life coach and writing a book. Kathryn’s book “Hiding in the Shade” is our next book club book and after hearing Kathryn’s story I’m looking forward to reading it.

Hiding in the Shade

Good reads review is here;

A delightful tale of a little eagle who has no idea that he is an eagle. He starts to experience a longing in his heart that he can’t quite put into words…
A desire to do “eagle” things…yet he has no idea that this is exactly, who he is and what he has been created for.
What will he do? What will you do when you discover your true identity and the truth about the life you have been uniquely created for?
It’s time. Your True Self, your Soul, is calling you.
Are you wishing to unearth your dreams and find the courage and exhilaration to do that for which you were born? Then this is a must read for you.
This beautifully written work of fiction is spectacular!
It gets right to one’s heart and mind at the same time. The narrative is powerful and flows easily. It is like a God-given parable. A parable of a journey to discover and answer life’s biggest questions, “Who am I?” and “What was I born for?”
When you read this, you will most likely be able to identify with each and every stage of the journey.
This fictional style seems to enable our mind to see the vision of our soul more clearly than many instructional books do.
Kathryn has a unique voice. This book has a strong heartbeat.

Book Club book review & food ideas

Have you read any good books lately? Are you in a book club?

*I am an affilate with The Book Depository

18 comments on “Book Club – We read “Room” we ate … well & had a guest author!

June 6, 2017 at 7:11 am

I saw the movie of “Room” on a plane once, so intense. I think the film was disturbing enough, I don’t know if I could manage the book. I could totally manage some of that cauliflower pizza and a slice of cheesecake though, it looks delish! It must have been having a treat with a real life author in residence, did she sign your books? I’m currently reading “Lion” and it is every bit as good as the film, if not better!

June 8, 2017 at 9:30 pm

I don’t think I could see the movie after reading the book. Yes the author signed our books (and now she’s going to be part of our book club too!) I haven’t seen or read Lion yet but just noticed it’s on Netflix so I think that’s what I’ll be watching tomorrow night!!

2. Ingrid @ Fabulous and Fun Life
    June 6, 2017 at 7:41 am

Sounds like an intriguing book! I’ve added it onto my reading list!

That bottle of wine is gorgeous! A very instagrammable prop before savouring it with friends!

Ingrid

June 8, 2017 at 9:31 pm

I’ve Instagrammed it so it’s now chilling ready to be opened on the weekend!

3. Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    June 6, 2017 at 8:56 am

Room was the most difficult movie I’ve ever watched, but I did love it just the same. A tale of triumph. You book club gatherings such beat any book club I’ve seen!! xx

June 8, 2017 at 9:32 pm

That’s a great way to view it – a tale of triumph. I hope your week had a silver lining lovely x

4. Vanessa
    June 6, 2017 at 11:24 am

That pizza base looks amazing! I was studying last year and I’ve yet to regain my ability to read for fun haha.

June 8, 2017 at 9:33 pm

It took me about 5 years to regain my ability to read at all after having children so now I’m making up for lost time!

5. Cate@Life Behind The Purple Door
    June 6, 2017 at 12:41 pm

I read ROOM a few years ago, but it’s our bookclub book for this month, so I’m eager to see what my friends thought (and I probably need to re-read it)

That food looks amazing, as always.

June 8, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Oh I’d love to know what your friends think too.

6. Denyse
    June 6, 2017 at 2:15 pm

I did look at the book and bought it because..I thought I could read it but turns out I couldnt because I am not up to ‘dark’ topics. However, I am glad your group got to discuss it and share your thoughts. Denyse #teamIBOT

June 8, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I don’t think I would have read it either if it hadn’t been for book club

7. Renee Wilson
    June 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm

How exciting you had an author come along to book club!! You know how to do book club well 🙂 That cauliflower pizza looks so yum.

June 8, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Renee – the pizza was surprisingly yummy. We have a healthy competition for trying to make each book club different, next month is a Christmas in July theme!

8. Sanchie @ Living my Imperfect Life
    June 6, 2017 at 10:28 pm

I read Room some years ago and loved it. Loved the voice of the 5 year old and thought it was very well written. And how amazing that you could get an author speak at your book club! I’ve never had that and have been part of a few book clubs. I started my own when I moved up to the Central Coast in October and we are doing reasonably well so far. We are reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman for this month. Another book I’m halfway through and enjoying is Seven types of ambiguity by Eliot Perlman. Quite an interesting and dysfunctional read!

June 8, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I love how you describe your book – interesting and dysfunctional – I’ll have to add it to my reading list.

9. Bel
    June 7, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I’m trying to get back to reading as I am now well and truly out of the ‘mummy fog’ and I’m sick of using lame excuses NOT to read! I love the sounds of your book club!

June 8, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I started the first book club I was in for that very reason – it took my 5 years after having my youngest to even read a proper book so am loving all the reading now.