choc-beetroot-loaf-web

It’s “In My Kitchen” time again, the monthly link up I join hosted by Celia of Fig Jam & Lime Cordial. April was a busy month even with being on holidays or perhaps because of the holidays, the last two weeks were crazy in the kitchen.  How about you?  I did no cooking at all for the 2 weeks we were away on Magnetic Island.  BBQ’s, fish & chips and pizza were the standard fare there!

alma-bay-web

This is Alma Bay, a beautiful part of the world

On our return some clean eating was required and turns out some kitchen experiments too.  But before that on our kitchen bench when we came home were these delicious jams from our neighbour whose daughter house-sat for us (it may or may not have been a thank you from both of them for getting some space from each other!).

jos-jams-web

Jo makes her own jams and they have gone down a treat with tea and crumpets that we are having on these cold, wet days.

I was given some sauces to review (you can read it here if you like) so some experimenting went on with them.    I really liked the Baked Chilli, Vegetable and Goats Cheese Frittatas I came up with.  (Perhaps a good Mothers Day brunch option?).

Fountain-frittatas-web

Speaking of eggs (of course!) this Poached Chicken Omelette was a real winner and it’s perfect for lunch or dinner!

poached-chicken-omelette-web

The blog turned 1 so I made a cake to celebrate.

orange-oil-cake-web

All the eggs came to the party

My 6 year old claimed that this was the best cake she has had, Orange Olive Oil Cake (it was pretty good if I do say so myself!).  Better than the Chocolate Beetroot Cake in the top photo which I’m still experimenting with.

Anzac Day didn’t go unnoticed either as there was a lot of Anzac baking happening.  Anzac slices seemed to be popular this year and I had my own Lemon Iced Anzac Slice to contribute to the trend.

ANZAC-lemon-slice-web

I made about 5000 batches of this! Ok, slight exaggeration but a lot!

sunrise collage

This wasn’t in my kitchen (how amazing would it be if that was my view) but we did go to a dawn service for Anzac Day at Bronte so we were up the sunrise.  It was so spectacular it seems a shame not to share.

Where’s this Buddha’s Hand I mentioned in the title of this post, you ask? …

Buddhas-hand-web

Have you ever?  More like an aliens hand than Buddhas!  Freaky fruit

I saw a pile of these Buddhas’ Hand’s in the local green grocer and was intrigued.  Anyone ever seen or used them before?  They looked so strange but smelled so good that I bought one to experiment with at home.  I had to Google it and turns out to be part of the citron family with a lighter sweeter taste than lemon but it has no juice so you just use the zest or a finger.  First up I just infused boiled water and had it as a tea.  So refreshing and even my little girls loved it, not as sour as hot lemon water so could be good in cold & flu season!! I then decided to try it in salt. I peeled some strips of the zest and dried it out in the oven for 20 minutes on 130 C.  I then whacked the dried peel and salt in the Thermomix and whizzed it up (probably a bit too much as it’s a bit too fine) and voila Buddha’s Hand flavoured salt.  I’m giving little jars of these out as presents.  They smell amazing.  Perfect for fish or chicken I think, will try and see anyway.

Buddhas hand Collage

All the sites I looked at suggested it be used to infuse vodka.  We had run out (strange but true) so I used gin instead and gin is my favourite anyway.  It’s been brewing for 4 days so far and I’ll serve it up for drinks when friends come over for early dinner on Sunday night, no need to add the slice of lemon!  Finally, I couldn’t not try it in a cake could I?  I used my Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe and tasted it before adding the drizzle.  So good that it didn’t need the drizzle at all.  So, so good!

If nothing else it’s a great centre piece for the table or fruit bowl and a real talking point when friends are over as it’s so weird looking!  It’s also great as an air freshner!

I mentioned last month that I host a weekly meal linky party for easy mid week meals.  I’m really excited about some changes that are being made to that.  I’m collaborating with the gorgeous and talented Kim from The Land of Zonkt to co-host “Your Weekly Feed” starting on Sunday night. We hope that it becomes a great resource for people to find meal inspiration and to share favourite recipes.  Everybody could do with some help to answer the question, what’s for dinner tonight can’t they?

YWF-Logo(Twitter-NOBorder)

Keep an eye out for this on Sunday nights and it will be open for link ups until each Wednesday.

Let me know if you have any ways with Buddha’s Hand and please pop over to Fig Jam & Lime Cordial and visit kitchens from all over the world.

Buddha’s Hand, have you ever? What’s been going on in your kitchen this month?

40 comments on “In My Kitchen – May 2015 A round up of the month including 4 ways with Buddha’s Hand

1. Francesca
    May 2, 2015 at 10:17 am

Love the Buddha’s hands. I came across these last year in Mildura and always wondered how to use them. The Anzac slice looks like an interesting variation on the theme.

May 2, 2015 at 2:38 pm

They smelled so good that’s what got me in. Thanks for stopping by.

2. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
    May 2, 2015 at 10:59 am

I’ve never seen a Buddha’s hand before but if I did, I’d have bought some too. I love the salt idea. I’d like to try that Anzac slice too.

May 2, 2015 at 2:41 pm

They are very strange but the salt smells amazing. I’m doing roast chicken tonight so am going to use it on that. Thanks for stopping by.

3. Veggie mama
    May 2, 2015 at 12:07 pm

happy blog birthday!

May 2, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Thank you wise one.

May 2, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I’ve never seen a Buddha’s Hand – it’s certainly very versatile, isn’t it? I must try that Orange Olive Oil cake… so much mmmmm!

May 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Yes, versatile is a good word for it, freaky is another! Smells so good though. I think you will like the cake, go for it, perfect day to stay in and eat cake today!

5. Kirsty
    May 2, 2015 at 5:56 pm

I have never ever seen a Buddha’s Hand, but if I did I would definitely buy one! What an interesting fruit. I must now head to google-ooogle and check it out further. No juice you say? amazing.
    I love the sound of your orange olive oil cake, it looks uber moist and cup-o-tea ready.
    Cheers, Kirsty xx

May 2, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I had never seen one before either, apparently they make your washing smell nice too! Perfect weather for tea and cake at the moment! Thanks for stopping by. x

6. Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    May 2, 2015 at 8:39 pm

i’ve seen the Buddha’s Hands before but wouldn’t have a scooby what to do with them! I thought they were small bananas!!!! Good on you for trying them out they sound brilliant. Amazing sunrise photos from your Dawn Service too – thank you for sharing!

May 2, 2015 at 8:52 pm

My pleasure Nancy it was stunning. I’m looking forward to seeing how the Buddhas Hand gin tastes!

7. Glenda
    May 2, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Love the Buddhas’ hand. I have seen a real live one either.

May 3, 2015 at 12:19 am

It’s a bit of a talking point anyway!

8. Well there certainly is a lot going on in your kitchen and on your blog, that’s for sure. Great ideas to use Buddha’s Hand. It’s certainly a talking point when you have one in your kitchen! Loving the ANZAC slice – I made one too so as you say, it must be the year! xx

May 3, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I know the Anzac slice seemed to be everywhere – easy than rolling out biscuits I supposed! thanks so much for stopping by. x

9. Joanne T Ferguson
    May 3, 2015 at 2:30 pm

What a great post that brightened my day!
    This is what EGG-ACTLY I needed so thank you and what a gorgeous IMK view this month too!
    Love the egg hats!

May 3, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Thank you so much and I’m so glad it brightened your day! The egg party hats are cute aren’t they – I found them in a $2 shop!

10. celia
    May 3, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Ooh yum, that omelette looks really good! And how intriguing about the Buddha hands – I only saw them for the first time the other day. They’d be great for anything that just needed lots of rind! You’ve made some wonderful things with it – love the idea of flavoured salt! 🙂

May 3, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Thanks so much Celia and for hosting IMK. I wonder if they have just started importing Buddhas Hands or something as they seem to be popping up but nobody has seen them before now! The salt smells amazing, I used it on roast chicken last night and it was delicious.

11. Moya
    May 3, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I have never seen a real Buddhas Hands other than on blogs, looks quite amazing. Your orange olive cake looks delicious too. Thanks for the peek inside your kitchen.

May 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm

They are quite bizzare to look at but the taste is great. The orange olive oil cake is a favourite around here. Thanks for stopping by.

12. Mandy
    May 4, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Happy 1st Blogoversary.
    Have a super day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

May 4, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Thanks so much Mandy x

13. Lizzy (Good Things)
    May 4, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Wow, that Buddha’s hand is something else! Thanks for the peek into your kitchen.

May 4, 2015 at 11:19 pm

My pleasure Lizzy. It definitely is a weird looking thing isn’t it.

14. Jennifer from Milk and Honey
    May 6, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Never tried Buddha’s hand (that I know of), but would love to. Thanks for the inspiration.

May 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm

It’s definitely unique! Thanks for stopping by x

15. Elizabeth
    May 7, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I have never seen a buddy’s hand, but I like the gin, Idea… 🙂 Happy Blog Birthday I am 1 too this month 🙂 YAY! Everything looks so delicious especially that ANZAC slice, you are right, I did see a lot of them out there this year! Thanks for sharing 🙂 Liz x

May 7, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Happy Bloggy birthday to you too! x

16. Miss Food Fairy
    May 9, 2015 at 4:25 pm

What a lovely sunrise and such a gorgeous place to stay Vicki- it’s just been put on the bucket list. Buddha’s fingers I’ve never seen but now you’ve shared your experience, I may keep my eye out for them. How do I join up for Your Weekly Meal – I love finding new inspiration.

May 10, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Hi thanks so much. Just take a look at the site from Sunday night through to Wednesday each week under the “Your Weekly Feed” post and you can check out what people have added and add your own by just linking the URL through the button at the bottom of the page, all the other details will be in the post. Hope to see you there! x

17. Kavey
    May 9, 2015 at 9:15 pm

I’ve been wanting to get a Buddha’s hand since I first saw a photo several years ago but never seen them on sale here! Love the salt idea, a nice way to preserve your find!

May 10, 2015 at 7:58 pm

They are so odd looking but smell delicious it was fun experimenting with it.

18. Joanne T Ferguson
    May 11, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Happy Blog anniversary and you had me at your brownies! What great photography to inspire me today and thanks for this month’s IMK kitchen view too!

May 11, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Thank you and my pleasure! x

19. Kim | a little lunch
    May 12, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Vicki, congratulations on your 1 year blog birthday! Your orange olive oil cake sounded so good I printed off the recipe. (Bonus points for GF flour, thanks!) I’ve never seen a Buddha’s hand and never would’ve imagined it was “lemony” flavored. That was neat to learn about and you’ve come up with some creative uses for it!

May 12, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Thanks so much Kim – the cake is a good one! Thanks for stopping by.

20. Gretchen
    May 14, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Never heard of Buddhas hand before, I wonder if we have it here. I will have to look around some. The orange olive oil cake sounds delicious as well, happy blogiversary.

May 14, 2015 at 9:20 pm

It was new to me too, I think it’s imported from Asia. The cake is a good one. thanks for stopping by. x