Your Weekly Feed – We’re Back!

Poached Chicken Noodle Salad

Hello for our first Your Weekly Feed of the Year.  I hope that you had a lovely Christmas & New Year and had some time to rest & relax a bit.  Kim & I had a lovely time looking back over all the amazing meals linked up last year that we shared in our “Summer Rewind Series” (Sweet Treats, Light, One Pot Wonders & Comfort Food).  We can’t wait to see what yummy meals are shared this year to keep the dinner inspiration rolling on for all of us!

We were away for most of the last month trying to escape the heat & humidity up here, not much happened on the reno while we were away and no windows or ceiling doesn’t make for a very cool house so our meals have all been about quick, easy and light affairs. We do now have a ceiling upstairs but no windows and as I write this no wall on one side of the house downstairs and still no ceiling there but I’m promised any day now….

Anyway back to dinner.  I made this Poached Chicken Noodle Salad this week and it went down very well with the whole family which is an amazing feat in itself! Given that they all liked it I thought it would be the perfect meal to kick off Your Weekly Feed with for the year.

poached chicken noodle salad

Poached Chicken Noodle Salad

Ingredients

• 200 g packet thin egg noodles (or noodles of your choice)
  • 1 Tbsp Chinese Szechuan Seasoning
  • 2 Spring onions, thinly sliced
  • 3 cm fresh ginger, thinly sliced
  • 3 skinless chicken breasts
  • For the dressing
  • 2 Tbsp Grapeseed oil
  • 2 Tbsp Tamari (or soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds plus extra for serving
  • 1 C baby spinach
  • 2 medium lebanese cucumbers, grated using a vegetable peeler or a mandolin if you have one

Instructions

1. In a large deep sided saucepan or fry pan add the szechuan seasoning, spring onions, ginger & chicken breasts and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then let stand for 5 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked through.
  2. Drain and then shred with two forks or in the Thermomix (speed 4 / 5 seconds) and then chill in the fridge while you cook the rest (this part can be made up to a day ahead)
  3. Cook the noodles as per packet instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water, transfer to a large bowl
  4. Add all the dressing ingredients and the chicken and toss to combine. Transfer into serving bowls and sprinkle some more sesame seeds.
  5. Enjoy!

Just in case you were wondering this is what the chicken looks like poaching.  As we only used a small amount of Szechuan Seasoning it’s very mild, if you want more flavour just add some more.

how to poach chicken

There is quite a bit of chicken so if you wanted to reserve some to make poached chicken omelettes you will still have enough to feed 4!

So now onto …

YWF-Logo

Please pop over to Land of Zonkt to see what Kim is sharing with us this week, she is on fire in the kitchen at the moment so it’s sure to be delicious and then over to you!

YWF-Logo(HouseRulesNOBorder)LARGETXT

15 comments on “Your Weekly Feed – We’re Back!

1. Lisa @ Chocolate Meets Strawberry
    January 17, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Welcome back, and thanks so much for hosting, Vicki! I missed you, ladies! Hope it was a fantastic break. Today I’m contributing two savoury recipes from over the holiday period, as they were few and far between! I have been eating waaay too many sweets… 😛 I’m loving the look of your super simple poached chicken salad – yum 😀 Here’s to a great year of linky fun!

January 17, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Welcome back to you too. I love seeing what you dish up. I over indulged on the sweet things too so some lighter things are on the menu for a while I think! x

January 17, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Welcome back! Missed ya! This year, we’re trying to make friends with salad and I love that this one has protein and carbs so it ticks all the boxes! Looks totes delicious – will have to give it a go! Looking forward to catching up on all the deliciousness of YWF – bring it on!

January 17, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Welcome back to you too. You can make friends with salad! WE are looking forward to seeing all the meal inspiration this year. x

3. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    January 18, 2016 at 5:38 am

Welcome back! I can imagine how bad the heat and humidity must be up there, it’s been bad enough here in Brisbane! What a yummy salad, can’t wait to try it. Thanks for hosting.

January 19, 2016 at 10:03 am

Hi there. The humidity is oppressive thank goodness for air con!

4. jayne
    January 18, 2016 at 5:40 pm

So great YWF is back!! Thanks for hosting Vicki. Your poached chicken salad looks wonderful – the dressing sounds especially tasty!

January 19, 2016 at 10:06 am

Hi Jayne I hope you are having a wonderful summer too.

5. Krissy @ Pretty Wee Things
    January 18, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Yum, that chicken salad looks delicious. Only question is, where would one find Chinese Szechuan Seasoning? I haven’t heard of it before. Just at the supermarket or at an Asian grocer?

January 19, 2016 at 10:07 am

Hi Krissy I was actually looking for Szechuan pepper but couldn’t find that so found the seasoning instead in the spices section in the supermarket. Asian supermarket should have it too.

6. Kim @ Land of Zonkt
    January 21, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Welcome back my partner in crime!
    I hope that you are keeping out of the heat. I am looking forward to some reno pics soon too!

This looks amazing. I think the whole fam would love this one. I’m drooling over the dressing too.

January 21, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Hello! It’s very steamy up here my friend, not all that pleasant to be honest – am hoping the reno’s are nearly over so the air con can be more effective!

7. Shari from GoodFoodWeek
    January 22, 2016 at 12:00 pm

YAY – so glad that you are back. Sad, that I missed the initial link up, but I will be back for this week’s link up! This poached chicken salad looks delicious and something that I need to whip up soon.

January 22, 2016 at 3:31 pm

We look forward to you joining in when you can x