1 Roast Chicken = Homemade Bone Broth = Stracciatella

Stracciatella Soup

Take 1 roast chicken = homemade bone broth = Stracciatella Soup.  Huh, you say?  Well Stracciatella, otherwise known as Egg Drop Soup, was the final end of the journey a roast chicken made in our house!  Let me explain…

Chicken 3 ways. Roast into bone broth into Stracciatella

feel free to “pin” this if you like!

I make a roast chicken for dinner every couple of weeks.  It’s a favourite meal around here that is guaranteed to get eaten (I usually follow this recipe from Jamie Oliver) but that is not the end of the chook.  Any leftover meat gets shredded and goes into wraps for the lunch boxes the next day and then I pull out the slow cooker to make bone broth from the carcass over night.

Chicken Bone Broth

My method is pretty simple, in fact, dead easy and by making your own you are looking after your shopping budget too. One roast chicken can be stretched many, many ways.

Put about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into the slow cooker (this draws all the good minerals out of the bones), add the carcass of the roast chook (chicken is the one thing that I will always try to get organic and if that is not possible free range because I use every part of it and would rather not be ingesting extra hormones if possible), and any of the veggies that the chicken was sitting on including lemon if you have stuffed it with one. If there aren’t any pan veggies add an onion, carrot, celery if you have it, garlic clove if you like and cover it all with water.  Leave on high until you go to bed and then put on low over night. There will be an “aroma” through out the house!

Just before you are ready to strain the broth add in some parsley and mix about. Pour the contents of the slow cooker through a colander into a big bowl / jug / pot. Discard the contents of the colander and you will have about 2 1/2 litres of bone broth / chicken stock. Economical and nutritious! I divide mine up in to zip lock bags for freezing and glass jars for the fridge if I’m going to use it soon.

I know some people like to drink the broth as it is, I’m not quite into that although it is quite tasty but I use it as a stock for soups and risottos. This way the kids are getting the benefits of bone broth too as there is no way they would drink it on it’s own!

Speaking of soups I have been meaning to make Stracciatella or Egg Drop Soup for ages so decided to try it out and here is my version – (I’m still working on making the egg drop part look stringy rather than grated cheesy as it does in the photo) the taste is great and it’s a soothing, noourishing soup that is good for the soul too.

Stracciatella Soup

Now that you have the stock the actual soup can be in made in a matter of moments. I often have this for lunch when I’m home alone.

Stracciatella

Serves 4

Ingredients

• 6 C chicken stock
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 C grated parmesan
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 C basil leaves
  • salt & pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a saucepan
  2. In a jug whisk the eggs, parmesan, nutmeg together & add salt & pepper
  3. Slowly pour the egg mix into the saucepan and stir it through gently
  4. Cook for about half an minute and remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice and basil leaves and stir through
  5. Divide between serving bowls

Some of my other recipes that you can use the chicken bone broth in are Lemony chicken, pea & corn risottoChicken white bean & pasta soup, Chicken, Chorizo & Rosemary Risotto and I also made some Tuscan lamb shanks stretch for 3 meals in a similar way that I wrote about here.

Do you make your own stock? Do you stretch out meals? Want some Straccciatella?

20 comments on “1 Roast Chicken = Homemade Bone Broth = Stracciatella

May 19, 2016 at 5:09 am

I love stretching my meals and my dollars! We don’t eat whole chicken very often but I love to upcycle the leftovers in different ways. I never knew I could make the bone broth in the slow cooker – definitely going to give that a go next time! You so clever!

May 19, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Sammie it makes it so easy – just leave it over night and it’s done no stirring or pot watching required! Your home will “smell” though but think of the goodness it’s making x

2. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    May 19, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I had no idea you could use your slow cooker to make broth. What an absolutely brilliant idea heading into winter!!

May 21, 2016 at 1:16 pm

It makes it so easy. Hope you are well lovely xx

3. shannon@ my2morrows
    May 21, 2016 at 6:55 am

Well, you learn something new everyday! I had never thought to use the slow cooker for this but will have to give it a shot! Jamie’s recipe too! And after the week I’ve had battling kid germs that soup looks so welcoming! Xx

May 21, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I hope you feel better, it is a soothing soup wish I was closer to make it for you in person! x

4. Shari from GoodFoodWeek
    May 21, 2016 at 10:41 am

I love making my own stock! Bone broth is delicious. Thanks for sharing these awesome recipes as it is always interesting to see how others whip theirs up 🙂

May 21, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Would love to know what you do with yours

5. Julie Painter @ toddlers plus teens
    May 21, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for sharing . I never considered using my slow cooker to make broth. I will definetly be giving it a go .

May 21, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Hi there, my pleasure it makes it all very easy.

6. Swah
    May 23, 2016 at 9:37 am

What a great idea! I’ve never tried making bone broth in my slow cooker before, I can’t wait to give this a go 🙂

May 23, 2016 at 7:21 pm

It makes it fuss free! Thanks for stopping by.

7. Vanessa
    May 23, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I’ve started making my own broth, flying a bit blind but it seems you can’t really break it. I’m thinking of using some of it to make some chicken flavoured veggie rice as a cheap, easy and freezeable meal for work lunches/lazy dinners.

May 23, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I don’t think you can go wrong with the broth. Your rice sounds nice! I just used some in a barley risotto.

8. peregrinationgourmande
    May 23, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I make my own but will try your recipe of straciatella. 😉 xx cathy

May 23, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I look forward to you making some for me with your recipe!x

9. Lisa @ Chocolate Meets Strawberry
    May 23, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I’ve never made chicken stock from a carcass but really must try that next time. Now that I think about it, it seems like such a waste not to. I’m also intrigued by your stracciatella soup, Vicki – I’ve never heard of that, ever! Maybe I’ve been living under a rock or something. Sounds different and very yum!

May 23, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Yes it’s waste not want not. I’ve always done it. I still need to perfect my stracciatella so that the egg mix looks more like egg whites, it’s very soothing.

10. jayne
    May 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Great recipe Vicki what a great idea to use the slow cooker to get your broth brimming with flavour – very clever!

May 28, 2016 at 1:44 pm